STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting an MS400 to fill the gap between my 550xp mk1 and my 7900.
I've been holding out against the CAD. Will be good to hear the pros and cons between the current and new model. I think I'm leaning towards the slight extra power and assumed torque of the current model.

What could tip me over to the new model would be feel, flickability and a smaller forum factor.
Hope we hear all about that soon.
No sense fighting the CAD. Just give in like the rest of us and descend into the abyss …. 🤠

Assuming the same stroke as the 400 (34mm if I am correct, if not please correct me) you would get a 48.5mm bore and end up with 3-5% less mass in the piston. Given the acceleration of the piston at 11,000rpm you retain more momentum in the flywheel (=more power to the chain for the given rotational assembly) and you also gain a few points in the CR if the parent cylinder is used. All in all it should retain most of the original components while reducing the loading on the bearings by about 10% but still maintaining most of its power due to the higher compression and same stroke. Additionally if you consider that it should be happier at higher RPM you could also add some weight to the flywheel won't increase the torque but will help maintain rotational momentum despite losing a bit of displacement.

Assuming the same stroke as the 400 (34mm if I am correct, if not please correct me) you would get a 48.5mm bore and end up with 3-5% less mass in the piston. Given the acceleration of the piston at 11,000rpm you retain more momentum in the flywheel (=more power to the chain for the given rotational assembly) and you also gain a few points in the CR if the parent cylinder is used. All in all it should retain most of the original components while reducing the loading on the bearings by about 10% but still maintaining most of its power due to the higher compression and same stroke. Additionally if you consider that it should be happier at higher RPM you could also add some weight to the flywheel won't increase the torque but will help maintain rotational momentum despite losing a bit of displacement.
The cases are completely different. The cylinder looks similar. It would be cool if the 400c cylinder and piston was a straight bolt up.

The cases are completely different. The cylinder looks similar. It would be cool if the 400c cylinder and piston was a straight bolt up.
Yeah I noticed the design is different but the actual internal components and design might be the same or similar.

I'm assuming the 19th June will be the official launch and there will be some reviews coming out.
It may be a better saw in every way other than being 0.1kw down on power.
I'd like to read a proper independent review before buying the current 400.

I'm assuming the 19th June will be the official launch and there will be some reviews coming out.
The other thing is rated HP is misleading. Power curve matters alot. The MS400C is a hungry, nasty cutting saw. Especially for its size. Then there is the fact that Husky 372's output 440's for years although they were rated about the same.

The current 400 is a great saw. I've owned a lot of 60 ish cc saws over the years, own and ran a lot of 70cc saws and it's about as good as it gets in its class. Id never think I'd like a saw better then my old 562xp husqy but I'd take another 400 over a 562 if you were giving either one to me. Stihl really did a good job with it. It's arguably my most used saw unless I need the 36" bar. Had zero issues with it in the 3 odd years I've had it. (Got it spring of 21) starts right up, hot, cold rain, snow. My only complaint with it is the lack of a primer/purge bulb. If you run it out of fuel it can be quite cantankerous to get running again without a true choke and no purge bulb. It will let you know when it's close to out of fuel though.

Id buy one now if you want one. Given the short run they maybe sought after saws going forward.
I thought the same, I got one ordered to pick up from dealer next week. The newer version may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread but don’t want to miss out if the original was the sliced bread, per se.

The current 400 is a great saw. I've owned a lot of 60 ish cc saws over the years, own and ran a lot of 70cc saws and it's about as good as it gets in its class. Id never think I'd like a saw better then my old 562xp husqy but I'd take another 400 over a 562 if you were giving either one to me. Stihl really did a good job with it. It's arguably my most used saw unless I need the 36" bar. Had zero issues with it in the 3 odd years I've had it. (Got it spring of 21) starts right up, hot, cold rain, snow. My only complaint with it is the lack of a primer/purge bulb. If you run it out of fuel it can be quite cantankerous to get running again without a true choke and no purge bulb. It will let you know when it's close to out of fuel though.
Your glowing report of the current version is pretty much the only thing your hear about these saws. No real reports of failures.
It's been out for a few years now so I assume you can call it a proven success.
Kind of doesn't make sense that they sunk all the development cost into it and are moving on.
That said German family owed companies from the Stuttgart area thunk differently to listed corporations from the rest of the world.

Your glowing report of the current version is pretty much the only thing your hear about these saws. No real reports of failures.
It's been out for a few years now so I assume you can call it a proven success.
Kind of doesn't make sense that they sunk all the development cost into it and are moving on.
That said German family owed companies from the Stuttgart area thunk differently to listed corporations from the rest of the world.
Or maybe that is the problem, that there is no problem?

Back