The Correct Way To Install Bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In instances where both contact surfaces are hardened (crank and bearing), you can install them using a press or puller with less risk of damage.

However, when dealing with softer bores (like magnesium or aluminum), forcing the bearing will damaging the pocket, however small it may seem. Sometimes it may be unavoidable (e.g., already installed seals between both races that could potentially melt with heat?), but even then I’m not convinced with pre freezing and rapid cooling they’ll come close to melting (>120c). Where at all possible, it’s sensible to maintain factory clearances…

Forcing bearings in these instances changes it from interference to a locational fit and eventually a sliding fit leading to movement between the outer race and pocket, vibration and increasing the risk of a spun bearing. At that point the only lasting solution may be replacing the cases. I’ve used retaining compound in some instances if the fit is still a snug locational fit (after some excellent advise from @pioneerguy) but i wouldn’t feel comfortable if the bearing could be pushed in by hand..

There's a bigger picture here too: scraped-off pocket material can stop the bearing fully seating, especially in the 034, 034 super, 036 & 360’s where the clearances are so damn tight (they seem to be the tightest I’ve come across). Also, in saws that have thin magnesium housings, ones that rely on a web / lattice of magnesium bracing for structural support in lieu of more material and lastly where the oil pump bolt drillings are, can all crack under pressure.

Adding oil to the outer race isn't going to cause a spun bearing if the interference fit is maintained; magnesium absorbs oil quickly, and cases are saturated anyway. However, pressing a bearing with oil might increase risks? I’m not sure..

High direct heat for about 60 seconds to reach 185c allows every bearing I’ve ever done on ope engines to drop in smoothly without altering clearance or damaging paint—it's efficient without downsides.

Ultimately, the method you choose has to work for you, but forcing components unnecessarily has led to damage in my experience and I wouldn’t do it any more, both to my equipment or customers.

I’ve yet to try freezing bearings using liquid
refrigerant from the air dusters and gently warming the case, but again, I don’t think it’s necessary if you follow the steps in the video.

If one was to go back prior to 07 and read all the threads on this site concerning pulling crankcases together over bearings already installed on crankshafts there was no one using heat to swell the cases. I posted a thread about using heat to install bearings and it freaked many members out. The replies were mostly concerned with burning paint,discoloring of the cases and melting bearing spacers. Most all threads back then was about using long bolts or all thread to draw the cases in over the bearings ,that subjected the balls in the bearing to sustain a heavy side load. There were also many that were just driving bearings in with presses or hammering them using sockets. After a lot of the uproar died down there were a few mentions of others trying to use heat and it soon became the norm, using many different sources of heat and also the temps themselves. Some Stihl saws use a steel reinforced pocket for the bearings on the clutch side so they take a bit more heat to expand them than the mag or aluminum cases. I have yet to see a bearing damaged by heating the cases and if one has everything pre sorted and laid out in handy fashion the whole job can be done in 30 mins or so.. Dolmar taught us to heat the cases and install the bearings in their pockets first, then slip them on over the crank, this worked well but Stihl
advises to install the bearings on the crank first, then draw the cases on over the bearings, either way has worked well for me since I was well versed in using heat to swell metals from my time working in the machine shops and in the marine repair yards as far back as the early 70`s.

I use Dumont broaches and I have a couple custom made (ground and hardened) ones I need to broach 1/2" square holes in one of the weldment parts I make in the shop for my patented line of motorcycle paddock stands.

In fact I cut all the parts right here on my Shop Saber CNC plasma table as well as parts for customer orders.

I have a rail crane above it to load full sheets of material on the bed, sheet steel especially gets very heavy when dealing with mill sheets of material over 3/8" thick and of course steel is very expensive today and stainless is even more.

I only cut Carpenter Technologies filmed stainless. Car-tech has a rolling mill near Philadelphia as well as a local distribution center close to me but the lead times on it are insane so I have to anticipate what I need well in advance and I have to pay for it 100% up front as well but the same applies to normal HR or CR sheet steel. At least the lead times on ordinary steel sheets is reasonable and I keep sheets in stock at all times anyway except the Stainless. The plasma table has more than paid for itself and was pretty quick ROI as well.

I can precision cut up to 1" thick plate steel with an 0.001 accuracy and using the nesting program that came with it plus their Fireshare software I can make careful use of just about every portion of a sheet. The only issue with a plasma table (even though mine has a water table underneath) is it's dirty and a royal PITA to clean out. When plasma cutting, the swarf is always gritty and dirty, but the table is running pretty much 8 hours a day, 5 days a week presently and neither myself nor my employees need to babysit it.

Once set up correctly it runs itself. All one needs to to is monitor the cutting tips on the torch and make sure the refrigerated dryer is running and that is about it and if a cutting tip needs changed, the computer on the cutting table alerts me and shuts the cutting down. Plasma cutting tips are 100% consumable.

Why I went from a Hyper Therm to the Titanium 60 amp cutter. The HF Titanium plasma cutting tips are 1/4 the cost of the Hyper Therm tips and the 60 amp Titanium cutter interfaces with the provided table software including the THC (torch Height Control) 100 %). In fact the 65 amp Titanium comes with the 11 pin interface plug on the front, standard and the Hyper Therm interface cable screws right in (Thanks Jim Colt).

I do run a MotorGuard 2 micron pass cannister filter on the inlet side of the cutter anyway as any moisture in the supplied air will cause the cutting tips to degrade quickly.
Had to save up my pennies for the table it was 37 grand, freight not included and came fully assembled on a hot shot outfit and the frieght cost was over and above the cost of the table, that was an additional 2500 bucks. Took 2 fork lifts to unload it, well one set of forks on one of my farm tractors and another borrowed hi-low from the farmer down the road, I pay for everything up front, I don't like financing anything, never have. If I don't have the money, I do without until I can.

Lets see, I own 2 Bridgeport mills, one is a Versa-Track CNC with conversational programming, 2 surface grinders, one a tool room manual grinder and one an automatic feed, 4 lathes, one is a LeBlond Servo Shift large bore machine with 3 axis DRO, one a Taiwanese gap bed quick change gearbox machine (that happens to be extremely accurate) and 2 fully restored, American made South Bend floor lathes, plus a Dake hydraulic arbor and tryout press with a 5 foot bed, 20 ton capacity, 4 welders, 2 high amperage solid wire Migs (both Hobart Iron Man) the Vulcan multi process TIG machine I just bought with a water cooler and CK flex head TIG torch and a Lincoln Ranger 8 engine drive SMAW welder with a Lincoln HF scratch start TIG setup on it, another Titanium plasma cutter, but only 45 amp for hand cutting and of course all the precision tools and surface plates for checking stuff that is machined and a coordinate measuring machine (Mititoyo) and all the inert gas bottles and my ancient Harris Calorific OA setup with large oxygen and dissolved acetylene owned bottles that I get refilled as you cannot buy the large ones today. I actually own all my gas bottles outright, Argon, 75-25 Argon Carbon Dioxide and the OA bottles of course and I have them filled and have full spares on hand all the time... and 2 very dedicated full time employees, both card carrying Tool and Die makers that I take really good care of as they need no supervision at all.

They don't fiddle with chain saws at all, not interested. It's a hobby for me same as the stuff I build for motorcycles and I have my own ,com website for that stuff.

Took me over 20 years to get to where I am today and nothing ever leaves here unless it's perfect either. In that respect I'm a horrible boss.

It's all paid for as well including the 40 x 60 climate controlled building it's all in and in reality I should add on again as it's getting a bit crowded but dealing with cancer I don't know how long I really have so I'm hesitant about that. My wife can manage the business (and does) but she don't have the knowledge or skills needed to do what I do so I guess when I finally succumb to it, the business, all the equipment as well as all the farm equipment will get liquidated and she will be very wealthy and I'll be taking the eternal sleep.

All the machine tools are well maintained (I'm anal about that aspect, everything is clean as well). Friday after lunch (that I always buy and have delivered) is tidy up the shop time and check everything to make sure it's all within tolerance, check the fluid levels and sweep the floor time. Best part is I don't even have to be there. it's the routine and has been right along.

I realize this is a long post but now everyone knows what I (we) do and what I own and that don't include the farm tractors or implements or the land or the rental homes my wife and I own outright.

I basically do what I want to, when I want to and that includes big game hunting though my cancer has put a crimp on that as of late. Amy and I don't travel much at all, about everything we need or want is right here so why travel. Been to Hawaii a couple times, to Europe a couple times (Europe really don't impress me). I have a good friend who happens to be the head engineer at the John Deere factory in Mannheim, Germany so we visit him and his family and another good friend in Switzerland who is an investment banker for Credit Suisse so we go there as well. We know people world wide actually but the Internet allows us to visit without going there.

I've had a really fulfilled life so far so dealing with what will be a fatal disease really don't bother me. I believe in Jesus Christ and I believe when it's my time and he decides, I'll be gone and I thank him for every day I'm still here on the tortured orb.

I've got to experience things and do things not everyone can do and I appreciate the fact that I could and still do when I'm able to.

Kind of my bio if you want to call it that. I've always enjoyed machinery and working with it. I'm a terrible wood worker, metal is my thing, always has been. Heck, I cannot even saw a straight cut with a table saw, I'm that bad.
Sidecarflip, Thanks for all that. Don't know what your prognosis is but sure hoping and Praying you can beat the big C. :cool: OT

I have heated the case halves in an oven to 200 degrees and frozen the bearings after reading about the bearings just "dropping" in. If it made much difference it did not jump out at me.
In my experience, the temperatures achievable in a home freezer for metal shrinkage won’t lead to a measurable required reduction in pocket temperature. For instance, freezing a bearing to -15°C might allow you to fit it in at 180°instead of 185°C. In practice, there's no appreciable difference, at least with a propane torch. Initial alignment of that bearing has a bigger effect than a few degrees of expansion here.

I only freeze the bearings to reduce the chances of annealing the cages and balls. If I’m heating thick cases which will retain the heat longer and I accidentally go to, let’s say, 240°C due to either inaccurate temp gum readings or emissivity on shiny cases and annealing starts at around 200°C for the bearing cage, it doesn’t sit well with me.

I will attempt to replace/repair anything on my saws apart from bearings, seals and splitting cases. I have tried on two saws, both times I failed to get a proper seal, failed pressure test with time / parts wasted. I've learned my limitation and now I have a friendly mechanic who does these aspects for me (while I watch). These types of repair take real skill to get everything seated properly and you probably only develop this from working regularly on a variety of saw brands.

In my experience, the temperatures achievable in a home freezer for metal shrinkage won’t lead to a measurable required reduction in pocket temperature. For instance, freezing a bearing to -15°C might allow you to fit it in at 180°instead of 185°C. In practice, there's no appreciable difference, at least with a propane torch. Initial alignment of that bearing has a bigger effect than a few degrees of expansion here.

I only freeze the bearings to reduce the chances of annealing the cages and balls. If I’m heating thick cases which will retain the heat longer and I accidentally go to, let’s say, 240°C due to either inaccurate temp gum readings or emissivity on shiny cases and annealing starts at around 200°C for the bearing cage, it doesn’t sit well with me.

We do the Fahrenheit thing over here usually. Quite different from 200C.

Interference fit is usually .001 to .0015 (in our measurement USA). You can look that up in a Machinery's Handbook. Between heating the parent casting boss and a deep freeze, that is easily obtained without the use of liquid N, which a layperson cannot obtain anyway. You could 'bathe' the bearing in solid Carbon Dioxide, aka: Dry Ice, which you can obtain.

One thing that is often overlooked or not even thought about with the fit of these bearings is that the case actually expands a fair bit when the engine is run , the case absorbs some of the heat and a bearing that was loose at the install at room temp will be even more loose when the engine is at operating temp,when run on long extended cuts such as bucking large diameter trunks or milling situations the cases get quite hot and the bearings being made mostly of steel do not expand as much as the mag or aluminum crankcase.

Interference fit is usually .001 to .0015 (in our measurement USA). You can look that up in a Machinery's Handbook. Between heating the parent casting boss and a deep freeze, that is easily obtained without the use of liquid N, which a layperson cannot obtain anyway. You could 'bathe' the bearing in solid Carbon Dioxide, aka: Dry Ice, which you can obtain.
not sure why you think liquid nitrogen can't be had by anyone. Just need to stop by any welding supply/gas shop that has it here and walk out with a dewar (or roll the larger ones). Wasn't any issue to get it when I worked over the road either, no matter where I was.

There are restrictions imposed by our new administration concerning the public possession of cryogenic gas now. I get mine from my air-gas compressor station but I have a commercial account with them. We now reside in a 'protect the public from themselves' society. Cryogenic substances now have additional controls on them, not like before and it is dangerous if not handled carefully. Just like the the large (over 125 cubic foot) bottles of compressed Oxygen and why I have my large bottles filled, my Oxygen bottle for my O/A torch is a 250 btw. In fact I have all my bottles filled as I own them all, outright. That includes all my 125 cubic foot 75/25 bottles, my 100% Argon bottles as well. They all have my company name painted on them and I have special tags that go on them to notify the compressor attendants not to exchange, but fill only. I have and own at the minimum, 2 bottles of each flavor on hand all the time, kept in an outside bottle rack. I use a lot of gas as a rule in the shop when we are in production and that is now.

Back