This is So Cool! Hedge Laying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTreeHugger

Frog Whisperer & Freedom Warrior
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I wish I'd seen this before I spent years clearing out my fence row... and recently filling it back up with dead limbs and branches from the fallen oak tree. :rolleyes:

I have a million maple seedlings coming up in the yard I wonder if I could make this kind of fence using those?

I'm so excited! Can't wait to try this in the yard somewhere! :dancing:
Although, from the looks of the videos, this is something you want to work on (the cutting) in the early spring/late winter.
But, now I know what to do with all those maple seedlings. 👍
There is a stacked fence row of branches I can practice on now with the staking and weaving techniques.

One dead hedge supported. 👍
Badly needed as it was flopping over on my rose of Sharon transplants.
DSC00089.JPG

I didn't have any whip-branches to bind the stakes, but I think it'll be okay.
It's not easy putting points on sticks with a hatchet. :oops:
Wish I had a live fence row to pleach. I need to work on that.

Neat idea, I may try and convince my wife to try this on one side of the property. We have austrees growing along there. Type of willow. Seems like it would work out pretty well.
I would love to see how it goes if you do try it! Those willow trees should be perfect for the project. 👍
They said any shrub that will air layer is good and someone told me recently you can stick a willow branch in the ground and it will grow..

I finished cleaning up the storm damage yesterday - only took me a month. :p
I made these stakes from the large limb that broke off the cherry tree in the front yard... going to makes pointy-end posts out of them.
cherry stakes.JPG

All my austrees are grown from sticks. Just cut the end off at a steep angle and pound them in the ground. Water profusely till sprouts set in. The area mine are planted in is pretty heavy clay, so wasn't hard to keep the ground wet. They either grow or die. You'll see results In a few weeks.

So, I showed my wife the videos you posted, and she's not 100% sold. I'm going to do a small run back behind the shop where you can't see from the house and see how it goes as a trial run. I'll post up some pictures after it's done. Probably wait till fall to do it, as the videos seem to indicate waiting untill the trees go dormant.

Back