Thoughts on this "Yamaha" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I noticed this saw: on AliExpress today and not sure whether to believe the engine size is really 87cc given the low-low price of around $90 shipped. The length of the bar it appears to come with- 50cm or 20"- doesn't seem to commensurate with the alleged engine size, but many saw clones out there don't come with a bar at all, so I'm not sure how much I should read into that one. The ad doesn't seem to mention the saw's weight or even shipping weight, so I can't use that metric to help ascertain if the engine size could be accurate.

Speaking of clones, does this appear to be a copy of a saw anyone recognizes? What are the chances the advertised displacement is correct?

Attachments

• YamSaw.jpg
    YamSaw.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 2
Probably accurate in the CC rating- or near enough to it- if it lasts longer than a week is anyone's guess.
Looks about as cheap plastic as you can get and probably fits into what $90 will get in a brand new saw.
Guessing it wont be well parts supported locally to you- shops probably wont want to touch it.

I can't fathom why you guys waste your time looking at this garbage.

I've had a 52cc China-designed trimmer for about 3 years, push it hard and have had nothing but good luck with it. Every part on the thing is available on Ali/ebay and at extremely reasonable prices. I've also owned a 76cc China-made backpack leaf blower for about a year now. No problems, push that hard, too, and all parts are apparently available through the distributor (ProRun), though I haven't needed any yet.

Read the reviews on the many Stihl and Husq-cloned saws and you'll see- at least from those that have half a brain on what they're doing- most of them are pretty decent. Most every part on those saws are interchangeable with the genuine article, so if you're not happy with the oil cap or air filter you can buy OEM and it will fit and work.

I used to own both Stihl and Husq equipment but got tired of getting raped when it came to buying parts for them, (not to mention Stihl keeping all their part numbers and exploded diagrams a great, big secret only dealers have access to). I'm not running a business here and I'm not looking to put my local dealer's kids though college, I'm just a simple property owner tending several acres. I do all the work on these tools myself so, thankfully, I don't have to deal with some ignorant shop owner laughing me out of his store because I bought what I did.

Times have changed. I'm not pro-commie, but like it or not, China's getting better at what they're producing and the gap in quality is shrinking. Walking into a Harbor Freight and making a blanket statement that every last thing in there is garbage just shows how behind the times one really is.

I've had a 52cc China-designed trimmer for about 3 years, push it hard and have had nothing but good luck with it. Every part on the thing is available on Ali/ebay and at extremely reasonable prices. I've also owned a 76cc China-made backpack leaf blower for about a year now. No problems, push that hard, too, and all parts are apparently available through the distributor (ProRun), though I haven't needed any yet.

Read the reviews on the many Stihl and Husq-cloned saws and you'll see- at least from those that have half a brain on what they're doing- most of them are pretty decent. Most every part on those saws are interchangeable with the genuine article, so if you're not happy with the oil cap or air filter you can buy OEM and it will fit and work.

I used to own both Stihl and Husq equipment but got tired of getting raped when it came to buying parts for them, (not to mention Stihl keeping all their part numbers and exploded diagrams a great, big secret only dealers have access to). I'm not running a business here and I'm not looking to put my local dealer's kids though college, I'm just a simple property owner tending several acres. I do all the work on these tools myself so, thankfully, I don't have to deal with some ignorant shop owner laughing me out of his store because I bought what I did.

Times have changed. I'm not pro-commie, but like it or not, China's getting better at what they're producing and the gap in quality is shrinking. Walking into a Harbor Freight and making a blanket statement that every last thing in there is garbage just shows how behind the times one really is.
I've read plenty of threads on this site in regards to clone saws and all the issues they have.
Just admit you are cheap bugger ,that likes to buy piles of junk.

Just another clone of Zenoah G45x(x)/G5xx(x). 61.5 cc at most. A true 61.5 cc, moreover, is rare, as it makes little sense to use these larger displacements in a saw that was at most 49.3 cc in the original.

You have a choice between Honda and Yamaha.
https://sdbondway.en.alibaba.com/co...tml?spm=a2700.shop_index.152.7.413b1ae0JfdCT7

Here in stores, prices for such saws start at $38 w/o taxes.
If you could pick one of these up for $38 bucks local that's not bad, completely disposable at that point and about the price of a gallon of 2 stroke oil.

I noticed this saw: on AliExpress today and not sure whether to believe the engine size is really 87cc given the low-low price of around $90 shipped. The length of the bar it appears to come with- 50cm or 20"- doesn't seem to commensurate with the alleged engine size, but many saw clones out there don't come with a bar at all, so I'm not sure how much I should read into that one. The ad doesn't seem to mention the saw's weight or even shipping weight, so I can't use that metric to help ascertain if the engine size could be accurate.

Speaking of clones, does this appear to be a copy of a saw anyone recognizes? What are the chances the advertised displacement is correct?
You just have to ask yourself if you have the time, knowledge, money and patience to purchase a $90 Chinese saw that might not work right when it arrives. 🤔

I can't fathom why you guys waste your time looking at this garbage.
Got one bks 52ccm Lidl/Hofer variant from my friend.....its starter was broken...but since it was Lidl/Hofer rebrand of a common chineese clone....I could not get a proper starter for it....

I scraped it....but kept its chassis + cylinder and crank with piston....for porting lessons :)

Probably not. I have a philosophy about that stuff. You keep supporting China and soon we will be eating raw fish with chopsticks.

Why is it that posters seem to have an issue posting Husq instead of Husky or Husqvarna but have no issue posting the 'Stihl' brand name.? Lazy or indifferent or what?

I happen to own two Smith and Wesson rebadged Husqvarna 308 Bolt action rifles that they produced for Smith and Wesson in the early 90's. Nice antiques that shoot well with the addition of a real trigger as rifles of that era had gritty, terrible triggers. Husqvarna produced what I consider the smoothest bolt action double claw Mauser action ever produced. Once Howa took over production of the S&W variant, things went decidedly downhill and eventually, Smith & Wesson dropped the variant entirely.

Interesting how the Chinese have 'cloned' the Yamaha name and applied it to a disposa-saw, Far as I'm concerned, the Yamaha name as well as the 'Honda' name is synonymous with quality, not junk.

Maybe the trademark names have expired and now anyone can use them. Years ago I owned one of the first Yamaha inverter generators and ran the snot out of it and finally sold it for almost as much as I paid for it, was getting a bit long in the tooth so I replaced it with a Champion Inverter genny for the camper and i still use it regularly in the bed of the side by side, in the field, to power my corded power tools when the battery ones don't have the balls to do what I require.

I took a chance a while ago on a clone saw, a Farmteck I believe. It was cheap and it looked the part and I wasn't impressed at all with it, so I gave it to my neighbor down the road who is a closet dork.

He straight gassed it and that was the end of it. asked me if I could fix it and I replied to him to landfill it. Not worth fiddling with. Besides, I don't take them apart in than minor mods like mufflers and limiter screw caps.

I don't have the time nor the impetus to fiddle with them. Besides I only purchase quality chainsaws in the size I need to to what I require. I grind loops and make up my own loops from bulk chain and grind chipper knives on the side for local arborists but other than that, I really don't have the time as I own and operate a short run machine and fabricating shop to manage, plus we produce a line of custom motorcycle parts and at 74 years old, all I can manage anyway. 2 full time employees and myself is more than enough grief.

I really need to start downsizing soon but I enjoy doing heavy repairs and fabrication and especially welding in exotic alloys. Something I grew into over the years. I repair a lot of large excavator and articulated front end loader buckets and rebuild chippers, mostly Bandits. At 74 and dealing with inoperable cancer things are getting harder and harder to accomplish. Besides, my wife is pushing me to curtail my business interests and spend more 'quality' time with her. Just finished a large Bandit commercial whole tree chipper, Cat powered on a low bed trailer. I had to rebuild the chipper knife flywheel as it was severely eroded and out a new Rockford clutch assembly in it. I like doing that kind of stuff, but my age as well as my ongoing cancer issues are making it more and more difficult to effectuate repairs. Time to downsize and start smelling the roses as I probably don't have all that much time left. I feel a responsibility to my employees however. Been with me a long time and are like family for me.

Latest posts

Back