Tour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my tour of the Stihl plant in Virginia Beach today. Impressive. More and more of the operations are being brought in plant so they can be controlled. MS270 out shortly and MS 280 first run happening in near future. Yes, 280 is a pro saw. Plant expansion in the works.
Everyone friendly and seemed happy there. People on the line very attentive to their work.
I think we are going to see a couple of real nice saws coming in the near future.

Are the tours open to the public? My wifes been buggin me to go see her sister near there and if I can get a tour we might just have to go!

Originally posted by bwalker
Tell us more about the ms 280. Does it have plastic cases? Im leary of any american made Stihl.

I think Craig Walker said it was a metal case on the 280, like the 260. The 270 had a plastic, not sure though....

Are the 270 and 280 just bumped-up versions of the 025 and 026?

I recall when the 046 came out, it was just a bumped-up 044. Seems like the 026 was a bumped-up 024 also.

270 is comsumer style, but does not look exactly like a 250. Many improvements. Looks more like a 260. There were no complete 280s to be seen, just parts. The Germans were actually setting up the line as I watched.
Looks like a beefed up 260.
BT45 should be out soon for the maple people.
The EPA really is costing to implement. 80 grand a station to check each and every unit. Auto adjust on carb when running. BT 45 was still hand adjusted.
4 stroke line is running up to full capacity. Lighter than I expected.

White Handle

Hey, I noticed that the MS270 in the pic has a white handle like a Pro Stihl. Looks like Stihl is trying to take away all visual clues what lineup a saw should be in if they are all going to end in an even #, 0, and have white handles. Maybe they had to beef up the MS260 to the 280 because they were tired of having the 346xp spank the 260 all the time, LOL. Russ

Stiltech,

I don't see anything wrong with the same colored handle thing, Jonsered and Husky are the ones who started doing that.

I remember when we had some of the biggest, best and proudest, bad ass saw manufacturers in North America. They have all come to pass now.

There is good and bad in all manufacturers the most important thing remains top notch local service or service where ever you go.
Very debatable about long term quality and life between Electrolux and Stihl products. Long term both product line ups are most likely equal at the present time and the only major difference will remain top notch service. ( with the exception of modifications but remember that speed kills)
I like Makita/Sachs-Dolmar saws, have used them and they are really good, unfortunately very poor service and dealer network so I do not buy them. Same for Solo, Efco, Shindaiwa poor dealer organizations ( in my neck of the woods anyways). I have Stihl and Electrolux saws, I even still have a Homelite big blue that is impossible to kill ( I use it for stumping, handed down from my dad) my favorite top handle is still my little Jonsered.
Maybe in 5 years we will have saws screaming at 20,000 rpm's not sure they will be any better and last any longer than the present offerings. They may cut a little faster, be noisier (we are all slowly going deaf), but I am convinced will not last longer for the $$ that will be charged for them.

LOL ,;)

Stihltech,

Forgot to mention I still use Stihl and overall I am Stihl very pleased with them. Husky and Jonsered also have real good models and products but their dealer networks and support is third rate at best unfortunately. ( in my neck of the woods anyhow)

What I saw at the plant shows me that Stihl is totally comitted to the best product possible. I guess you have to decide whether you are building a race car or a machine to do work for the masses. Is Husky the best because they can be souped up? I won't make that choice. I buy my saw to work with a minimum of maintenance. My 034 does that beautifully.

Is the 029 junk? It is doing the same thing for many people. Only one in the pile due to a lack of oil in the mix. ALL others I have sold are still operational.
It looks to me like the saws are doing what they are built for.

What percentage of saws sold go to people who want to soup it up? I would say a small one.

stihltech, well said but where would we be without Dennis and Kenny for those of us with addictions????lol:D

The 029 has the 2nd best failure record of any stihl product..

Our stihl rep(craig walker) told me this just as i went to start a new 029, one of the wrist pin clips came loose or was never put in right. Didn't get the saw started, but ruined piston and jug.

Re: 280

Originally posted by stihltech

Is the 029 junk? It is doing the same thing for many people. Only one in the pile due to a lack of oil in the mix. ALL others I have sold are still operational.

come on now stihltech, admit it the 029 is junk!;) I have two friends who have them and one of them has replaced it since last year and one of them has one that the oilers quit after buying it last year, its the same consumer crap that everyone makes - if you get a good one - great, but you're likely to get something else - crap.

Back