Tree Climbing Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_M0822

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to climbing and want to buy my first kit. I can only find $1,000 and more kits. Does anyone know where I can get a harness, buckstrap, and spurs for under $400? Facebook Marketplace has proved useless.

Have you looked at eBay, Amazon, etc. watch out for cheap china junk. I have a home made Swiss seat made of webbing and a lineman’s belt and two sets of spikes bought dirt cheap at auction. Got a box of rope from CMC Pro for around 125 with 1/2” lengths of 150, 100, 60, and many in the 30’ range. Good store bought seats/harness are spendy as are the pulleys, carabeners, ascend/decend devices, a couple flip lines, just in case you cut one with your saw or have to go around a limb or obstruction. “TITS” Tie in twice stupid. What you need depends on what you want to do. Getting out of a tree quickly and safely if stuff goes badly. Climbing assists if you’re not young and strong. Blah, blah. Do a search here for other posts on this subject.

For what it's worth, I was getting ready to purchase climbers before I decided to go another way. The lowest cost item that appeared to be worth owning was $350.

a decent set of spikes alone will cost you almost $400

harness is gonna be $300-800 ish
flipline $100-200
rope, $150-300
all the other BS you need, pulleys, rings, carabiners, prusik cord, etc $50-15000

so, on the cheap end, a $1000 climbing kit is a good start but really bottom of the barrel gear, good enough to learn on, but horrible if you really want to use it, don't get me wrong, you can make just as much money from a weaver 4D saddle and grandpa's old buckingham pole spikes, but you won't be happy while you're doing it

flipline $100-200
rope, $150-300
all the other BS you need, pulleys, rings, carabiners, prusik cord, etc $50-15000

so, on the cheap end, a $1000 climbing kit is a good start but really bottom of the barrel gear, good enough to learn on, but horrible if you really want to use it, don't get me wrong, you can make just as much money from a weaver 4D saddle and grandpa's old buckingham pole spikes, but you won't be happy while you're doing it
That's how I started, on pappaws belt and spikes from his days as a lineman. I did eventually get a cheap Buckingham. Totally agree that those kits are very basic stuff. My current setup, which I'm happy with is, mb 2.0=$800, aluminum geckos=$550, wirecore lanyard=$150-200 (don't remember)
Samson Vortex 150'=$225 or so, zigzag=$370 (split tails are much cheaper). And the all the little things= $750-$1000. Boots and helmet=$1000+ not necessary but nice, $200 loggers will do and you can get a basic helmet cheap or get hit in the head one good time. I've also got the sena 33i on my helmet, but you can go deaf and yell at your groundie. Basically comfortable ain't cheap and cheap ain't comfortable.

flipline $100-200
rope, $150-300

This is pretty reasonable.

I got all my gear for ~$2200, building upon the WesSpur kits. Still missing a few things, but could easily get started whenever I get the time.

I started out with new ropes for life line, drt setup of pulley and friction hitch, happened across a new second hand petzl harness, and home made friction saver, and second hand spurs, ascenders etc.
patience rewards.
And I learned how to spice.

both single and double braid.

I've found his book Knots At Work to be far more informative with much of the same info repeated and improved upon from Companion.
Agreed - I have both books. The knot book is great, easy to follow illustrations and clear instructions. Also yes it is full of info on safe climbing and rigging practices.

The companion I like as it is sort of a training manual, and includes checklists so you can quiz yourself on your knowledge

Back