Unhappy With 390XP Porting Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember what member here said it, but they said something to the nature of "always trying to build a better mouse trap" well said indeed. Some folks here (especially the WW) think that a saw that has not been modded to the hilt is worthless. That big ass 7 foot noble in my avatar was taken with a stock 385 before I modded it. Stock saws will cut....SHARPEN you damn chain!

Deans inability to correctly apply a technology detracts from that technologies viability how?

And how would you know what I run in my saws?.. That's what I thought.
I don't know what you run, if you look you'll see that I asked that question. I noticed you didn't answer. This thread isn't about the viability of ceramics, feel free to start a new thread on that if you want.

I don't know what you run, if you look you'll see that I asked that question. I noticed you didn't answer. This thread isn't about the viability of ceramics, feel free to start a new thread on that if you want.

You and I both know you were being facetious with your question... Hence the "that's what I thought" comment.

And if this thread wasn't about the viability of ceramics?.. Why did you mention them in a negative connotation first?

I like you Trimmed, I'm not going to fight with you over a computer... Especially over something this trivial. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

You and I both know you were being facetious with your question... Hence the "that's what I thought" comment.

And if this thread wasn't about the viability of ceramics?.. Why did you mention them in a negative connotation first?

I like you Trimmed, I'm not going to fight with you over a computer... Especially over something this trivial. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Well metals I plead guilty to being facetious, but I really don't believe you are running ceramics :), the truth is I don't believe it makes financial sense for the average enthusiast.

I brought up the ceramic bearings based on the discussions about them on this site in the past. I don't know if you were here then or if they are still searchable, but trust me, it was all snake oil and pure carny pitch. And big $$. A total load of horsecrap imo, as it was presented.

Well metals I plead guilty to being facetious, but I really don't believe you are running ceramics :), the truth is I don't believe it makes financial sense for the average enthusiast.

I brought up the ceramic bearings based on the discussions about them on this site in the past. I don't know if you were here then or if they are still searchable, but trust me, it was all snake oil and pure carny pitch. And big $$. A total load of horsecrap imo, as it was presented.

I remember the "ceramics battle", hence the start of my research. You're right, they are more money than other options, but they aren't hokey. I've spoken with inventors, chemists, etc... Men with IQ's greater than hairs on my head. The DOD, NASA, DOE, and many others, put a lot of time, money and energy into their development, study and application. Ceramic coatings make forges and refractories last 1,000 times longer than without them (just for a 'down home' example).

You'll find the price will start to come down, as they begin to enter the public sector. I encourage you to do a little research, I think you'll be pretty blown away.

Wow. I step away from the computer for a few hours and it all breaks loose. Its Friday night guys. Let's have some fun.

I'll make no excuses for anyone operating a business as has been discussed. There's no excuse for it none. I've read of this crap going on for years. Whether it's all true or not, I don't know. As Gary mentioned, it also puzzles me why it seems to be the case with several builders. What's up with that? If you don't have time to do the saw NOW, then don't have them ship it. Be up front about it. Honesty will take you a lot farther than lying to cover your butt.

BTW, I heard today that Dean may have had a heart attack. That has not been confirmed. I was talking to a mutual friend today and that's what he told me.

"BTW, I heard today that Dean may have had a heart attack. That has not been confirmed. I was talking to a mutual friend today and that's what he told me."

I hope it wasn't from reading this post... :deadhorse:

You know, I have put this all behind me last year, this thread stired up old emotions with dean. I dont like being lied to and It is up to our maker to judge him in the end for lieing.

I'll talk about the viability of ceramic bearings since I'm one of only a handful of people here who've run them in a professional setting (for about 18 months in a modded 372.) I didn't get anymore or any less life out of the hybrid ceramic bearings in my saw than I did the regular phenolic (nylon) caged or steel caged steel ball bearings. I never noticed where they made my saw significantly run faster or better. I tried the ceramics once and I don't feel the investment was worth it. I've gone back to steel ball bearings and that's what I'm sticking with.

I thought the ceramics were for high rpm race saws, like pushing 18-20K rpms.

I think that's the most appropriate application for them- smaller displacement race saws turning much higher RPM than the typical worksaw. Perhaps if a person were to invest in the full ceramic bearings (races, roller balls, cage- all ceramic) then that might buy a tiny bit of performance in a worksaw. But with the current product available, they're just not buying enough of a performance gain in a worksaw to be worth it.

After I tore the 372 down I found also that the bearings had more wear on the races and on the cage. So you're trading the increased hardness and wear resistance of the roller balls for more wear and tear on the other components in a hybrid set-up.

I think that's the most appropriate application for them- smaller displacement race saws turning much higher RPM than the typical worksaw. Perhaps if a person were to invest in the full ceramic bearings (races, roller balls, cage- all ceramic) then that might buy a tiny bit of performance in a worksaw. But with the current product available, they're just not buying enough of a performance gain in a worksaw to be worth it.

After I tore the 372 down I found also that the bearings had more wear on the races and on the cage. So you're trading the increased hardness and wear resistance of the roller balls for more wear and tear on the other components in a hybrid set-up.

That is the same info that I have gathered from reading here and other places, thanks JJ!

"BTW, I heard today that Dean may have had a heart attack. That has not been confirmed. I was talking to a mutual friend today and that's what he told me."

I hope it wasn't from reading this post...

That's the funniest post I've read in this thread since my last one.:popcorn:

Trimmmed was right though. People that get screwed are largely reluctant to make a public deal about it. Myself included.

It was only the 4 step program I just completed that allowed me to speak the truth (3 beers and a bourbon and coke).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back