whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lmfao I would rich in a week:dizzy:

I'm not about to get rich on stumps. $20 per inch... I'm going in there with a 2 wheel 20/25 hp machine that has to go down a bunch of stairs or ramps, and then go back out the same way.

It's very rare that I do clean-up work. Got a landscaper I refer out for that. He's got a machine that's perfect for that kind of job. I'm gonna load 2 yards of chips in the back of my truck by hand for $100?? Pick up a yard of soil that I've paid $35 for and charge $50 to install it???

Looked at a grinding job tonight for my HOA. Power company is gonna do the trees. 9 pines, nothing over 18". Told them $50 per stump, or $450 but for various reasons I'd do it for ~$300. All in a straight line, no clean-up... bang it out on the way to another job up the road. A 252 would be there for a while, RG100, MAYBE 40 min including loading and unloading... but that's the 50K difference I guess?

I thought I done ok a week ago 70 big stumps 1400 some were 40 plus inchers too:confused:

I did 30 for a friend this past weekend for $380. The deal was for 23 but I went ahead and did all of the ones I missed on my initial count. Normally I would charge $500 to $600 for that job but it was a fishing buddy and he lets me run his trot lines with him. One of the stumps was around 30", one was around 24" and one was around 20". All the rest were around a foot or so. Would have had it done in 3 hours but I threw a belt and had to go buy one to replace it. Took us about 5 hours with lunch and repair time spent.

Was well worth it. I already got two more jobs out of the deal.

Bid and landed a nice triple removal, put my Guns&Beer video on Youtube, worked 10hrs welding, graded the driveway and raked up the edges of the lawn to get ready for mowing season.

Tomorrow we gonna make over 2k pumpin bug juice into the dirt at the base of ash trees to control Emerald ass borer.:alien2:

I am still stuck on 6k for a 50 foot tall willow. Ain't that New England area full of tree guys? Damn.

How many hours do you have on the job? If it was 14 by yourself then that seems reasonable.
Another way to look at it is that you charged 20 bucks a stump, that sounds unreasonable.

Unreasonable how? Too high? It was a four hour ride to get there! Anyway I had around 10 meter hours the teeth were dull did not have yellow jackets at vermeer, so I got it done dull! I can normally do seventy in 8 hours. My personal best was 127 stumps in a long summer 10hr day!

'Lady left a message yesterday. "I had a big willow taken down last year but they never finished the job. I'd like an estimate on removing the rest of the wood and cutting the stump near the ground." I'll look at it this morning and I hope she's home because I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
Phil

Unreasonable how? Too high? It was a four hour ride to get there! Anyway I had around 10 meter hours the teeth were dull did not have yellow jackets at vermeer, so I got it done dull! I can normally do seventy in 8 hours. My personal best was 127 stumps in a long summer 10hr day!

Unreasonable as in to low , it depends of the details too. I would say if it was done in one cycle of the sun then you made out well.

Unreasonable as in to low , it depends of the details too. I would say if it was done in one cycle of the sun then you made out well.

Yeah mang I know it was low but thats the problem here Heck the golf course work I have is 12 per stump and I was not low bid:dizzy: I have a friend who told me if I bid over that I would not get the work and it was being done from a guy in Mississippi for 8 per stump :dizzy: I won the contract as I live only a stones throw away and I do 11 courses yearly so it is worth doing! 125 is the highest for one stump I have charged as its my minimum to go to town and get off my duff lol.:cheers:

Tomorrow we gonna make over 2k pumpin bug juice into the dirt at the base of ash trees to control Emerald ass borer.:alien2:

I am still stuck on 6k for a 50 foot tall willow. Ain't that New England area full of tree guys? Damn.

Yeah man it is but were 82 is working is whole different tax bracket then most.

Looked at and got the go-ahead a weeks worth of work at the horsey farm my buddy manages up in NY. They had what looks like it must have been one hell of an ice storm back in March. All the hedgerows are mangled. Just gotta four wheel around the fields with the fleet and get the big damage. Leave all equipment there overnight, dump on site, and commute with Tacoma. My kind of job! :)

That coupled with some other nice work that came in recently, and I'm finally off and running full time for the season. Better late than never though, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Looked at and got the go-ahead a weeks worth of work at the horsey farm my buddy manages up in NY. They had what looks like it must have been one hell of an ice storm back in March. All the hedgerows are mangled. Just gotta four wheel around the fields with the fleet and get the big damage. Leave all equipment there overnight, dump on site, and commute with Tacoma. My kind of job! :)

That coupled with some other nice work that came in recently, and I'm finally off and running full time for the season. Better late than never though, that's for sure!

glad to hear it ....

Mulch Mulch Mulch coming out of my ears , 700 yards , thats 7 walking floors worth to be done by next Friday , we start tomorrow cutting out , the good news is its a 20 man crew , and thats all I have right now , its been raining alot here so all the yards are mush ...I am on as a sub with a 5 man crew so we make something a day but its not great but it fills the lulls ...

Tore up a good sized silver maple today. Damn it's nice having a bucket. I got to play around a bit setting ropes with poles for lowering and pulling so I could get the branches clear of the house and fence. Everybody I talked to told me I needed at least a 65 footer but I'm like no, no, no, Blakes can do it with a 55. lol. I got it done, but it wasn't as easy as it could have been. The spar in the first shot was as far as I could reach.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tore up a good sized silver maple today. Damn it's nice having a bucket. I got to play around a bit setting ropes with poles for lowering and pulling so I could get the branches clear of the house and fence. Everybody I talked to told me I needed at least a 65 footer but I'm like no, no, no, Blakes can do it with a 55. lol. I got it done, but it wasn't as easy as it could have been. The spar in the first shot was as far as I could reach.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats a 55 or 60 looks like 60 ft to me in the second pic , climbing out of the bucket on all the tall one always puckers my ### I don't know why it just does I can climb from the ground and not give a second thought but climbing out of the bucket scares me .... That truck is nice take care of it , It will make you so much money the "easy way" your gonna be shocked how much better you feel after a week of just pullings levers compared to swinging around on a rope and pruning work on more than one tree is nice too ...

Last edited:
Thats a 55 or 60 looks like 60 ft to me in the second pic , climbing out of the bucket on all the tall one always puckers my ### I don't know why it just does I can climb from the ground and not give a second thought but climbing out of the bucket scares me ....

It's a XT55, so, yeah, 60 foot working height. I woulda climbed out if needed but gearing up would have taken more time then just setting the ropes with the poles. I've only climbed out of a bucket a few times in my career, and it never really bothered me. I still feel safer on my ropes than I do in the bucket but I'm getting used to it.

It's a XT55, so, yeah, 60 foot working height. I woulda climbed out if needed but gearing up would have taken more time then just setting the ropes with the poles. I've only climbed out of a bucket a few times in my career, and it never really bothered me. I still feel safer on my ropes than I do in the bucket but I'm getting used to it.

It scares me a little to go over center sideways the truck just seems to make a lot of noises , you'll be happy with that Hi Ranger boom my buddy has one and loves it , I have the LR3 and the ALC booms and the ALC boom is my least favorite that I have ever owned ...

That truck is nice take care of it , It will make you so much money the "easy way" your gonna be shocked how much better you feel after a week of just pullings levers compared to swinging around on a rope and pruning work on more than one tree is nice too ...

Right now, I'm still feeling pretty beat. Half of it I'm sure is the winter hibernation needing to get beat out of me but half is the upper body deal. Climbing is more about your leg strength and overall endurance while cutting and chucking all day is all arms and chest. Just different muscles that need to learn their place. lol

Latest posts

Back