whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, speak up then smartass. I'm open to any input.. kinda why I posted that.

It was really just the last sentence in the paragraph that is difficult to understand, because there was no stated context to it. In what situation would you need to price a job at a day and a half just because you were feeling like "super mds"?

Maybe means when you think it should take a day and half but if you bust ass can get it done in 1 day? Problem is people don't care if you bust your ass and try to save them money.
Somebody has to pay when you have to go back a 2nd day to finish up a couple hours of work. Then you have to add the extra travel time and makes the price seem inflated , so you revert back to thinking you can bust it out in a day. Then you're losing money if you have to go back......

Kind of like when it starts pouring part way through a job and you can't finish.

Maybe means when you think it should take a day and half but if you bust ass can get it done in 1 day? Problem is people don't care if you bust your ass and try to save them money.
Somebody has to pay when you have to go back a 2nd day to finish up a couple hours of work. Then you have to add the extra travel time and makes the price seem inflated , so you revert back to thinking you can bust it out in a day. Then you're losing money if you have to go back......

Kind of like when it starts pouring part way through a job and you can't finish.

That's exactly what I meant Todd.

The reason I wont try and bid it higher, alot of times, is because I fear some other dirtbag (or someone better equiped for the job) will just put a day price on it, and I'll lose out on the job.

I'm fairly certain alot of us deal with this scenario??

And I never claimed to be a friggin english major.... maybe I should consider packing it in if I'm that hard to comprehend.. :dizzy:

I was only my first couple of sips of coffee though. :laugh:

$1500 for the crane.
$600 for a 30 yard can, then several hundred $ to a buddy to haul off the rest... wood would have cost me close to $1000 by the end of the job.
$600 for the stump... 1 hr +/- with RG100 on the way to another job
$X for me and 2 guys, if we're there till 4 then so be it, but I know we'd be gone and on to the next job by 1 at the absolute latest.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances I get paid a higher rate for the entire day when the crane comes in, I don't care if I'm only there till 1. If I can tack on another job afterwards to put another thousand iny my pocket that makes me even happier.

Maybe where you blew it was the "several hundred to a buddy to haul off the rest". I'm having a hard time envisioning the wood from a 50' willow not fitting into a 30 yard dumpster. I would have crammed it in there.. bet your ass.. just sayin'.

Maybe where you blew it was the "several hundred to a buddy to haul off the rest". I'm having a hard time envisioning the wood from a 50' willow not fitting into a 30 yard dumpster. I would have crammed it in there.. bet your ass.. just sayin'.

This thing was topped out about 7 years ago, the "smallest" wood would be roughly 2' in diameter. The stick was 6' DBH and about 20' tall.

At first when I got my bucket, I planned on pricing the jobs as though I still had to climb them. I found it awful hard to stick to that though. I guess part of the reason for that is I know everybody else has one too, so they're gonna be looking at it pretty much the same way. I guess (for me) what it comes down to is how much work can you get done in "a day". The more you figure can get done in your "day", the more bids you can win. The problem I have alot of times, is growing a set of balls big enough to try and price the job as a "day and a half". I keep thinking I'm Super MDS or some ####. lol.

Hope that made some sense...

Funny, I understood exactly what you were sayin' superpauly. lol. Still working out the numbers, and of course the damn fuel prices are throwing another wrench in the works, but I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days.

been real tired at work....2 nights ago I stay up to see the Reds win at 1 05 am. Last night they go to about 1 30 (in 10) and whup up on Jeffie's Madres. Grand salami for Hannigan. :popcorn:

Today we take the "courtesy car" back to the BMW dealer. It is a $65,000 5 series GT. They have had my station wagon doing work for about 5 or 6 weeks. New drive shaft, 4 new cv axles, new transfer case (all wheel drive), new wheel bearings, new tires, 2 wheels straightened, yadda yadda. All warranty....they just can't figure it out.:msp_sad:

Today the wife goes to get it and drops off the loaner. I get a call way up in a silver maple and the dude says there is a dent in the bumper. I ask him if he went over it with my wife. He says no but says the car is brand new. I said maybe one of your lot boys did it as you are calling me 2 hours after the wife dropped it off. He says he is going to send me picts. I say why. I call my ins. agent and he tells me to tell him to stuff it if he did not check it while she was there.

Future probs I feel coming on. The owner of the huge company is one of my best clients. He prob won't ever hear about it;. He is in Fla. almost all the time now.

Road trip

We spent the day loading up the trucks and equipment for the 110 mile caravan to San Diego for a three day job. I'm kicking it at the Ramona inn in Poway.
Were doing a big landscaping job using boulders, I'm going to do several removals and some trims while the guys set up the boulders. Good times.

We spent the day loading up the trucks and equipment for the 110 mile caravan to San Diego for a three day job. I'm kicking it at the Ramona inn in Poway.
Were doing a big landscaping job using boulders, I'm going to do several removals and some trims while the guys set up the boulders. Good times.

Hey Beast, your in my neighborhood!
Jeff :biggrin:

yo beast, have jeffy buy ya a beer at lips, and send my love to Rupaul!:msp_wub:---------------------------is it just me , or does this thing look like meatwad from ATHF?????????? I saw Fireman yesterday, I smiled and waved and he ignored me, go figure. What a douche

My arse is kicked but got the brush and limbs off and loaded and hauled home,big gum took some nice rides cutting 15" limbs 30 foot long! What wore ole rope out was the having to come down and clear the area for the wife. I climbed the dern tree six times counting yesterday lol. Once more to block wood in the AM::cheers:

Latest posts

Back