What is going on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo410

Reaction score
We had a tree planted about 2 years ago and ever since the top half looks like this. What is going on and/or what do we do? Is it dead?

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Likely a systemic problem like root issues. Can you see the root flare at all? Maybe planted too deep. Any herbicides applied to the lawn or surrounding area?

We have a company (weed man) that treats the yard & im honestly not sure what the use. We had a lacebark elm planted about 20ft away from this one at the same time & it’s doing fine though. I never thought about it being planted too deep but that may be it? Anyway I sent a pic to the nursery we bought it from & they responded with the attached email saying they were going to replace it. Thanks for the replies!IMG_4132.jpeg

We have a company (weed man) that treats the yard & im honestly not sure what the use. We had a lacebark elm planted about 20ft away from this one at the same time & it’s doing fine though. I never thought about it being planted too deep but that may be it? Anyway I sent a pic to the nursery we bought it from & they responded with the attached email saying they were going to replace it. Thanks for the replies!View attachment 1183700
Now dont let them spray too close to the new one.

We had a tree planted about 2 years ago and ever since the top half looks like this. What is going on and/or what do we do? Is it dead?
My guess is whatever killed the grass around it and made that dead grass path away from it, may have damaged the tree.
Might be a good idea to ask your yard man what he sprayed and why it killed the grass.
"Weed killers" are generally broadleaf herbicides and shouldn't kill grass.

tree.jpg

Broadleaf herbicides such as 24-D will kill grass if it is applied and too high of a rate. See it in spot spraying from time to time. Looks like a Glyphosate product was used and the sprayer was still leaking when they walked away. The best is when people walk through it and their foot steps die out.
Also there are horticultural vinegars that work like Glyphosate that will do the same. I’d say it was a careless workers judging by the dead grass running away from the tree.

Back