What Stihl for a 28 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno- A Westie Aussie, sounding like not too much experience with chainsawin', imports a 461 from Europe, is thinking about bolting a 28 inch bar to it, not sure if he should choose .404 or 3/8 chain, not sure on pitch versus gauge and needs to climb with the saw to so a take down from the top because there is nowhere for the entire tree to fall.
All I want is video!

I dunno- A Westie Aussie, sounding like not too much experience with chainsawin', imports a 461 from Europe, is thinking about bolting a 28 inch bar to it, not sure if he should choose .404 or 3/8 chain, not sure on pitch versus gauge and needs to climb with the saw to so a take down from the top because there is nowhere for the entire tree to fall.
All I want is video!

We'll see! I'll send pictures of the saw when it arrives as a minimum. :)

Purchased a Stihl MS461 from @David Major. Very satisfied with both the saw and the seller. David was very honest and I can only say positive things about him. He went above and beyond to send me pictures etc... The saw has a few small imperfections and David said, however they are inexpensive parts.

Came with a 20" bar and chain, Shipped 10th of October and got delivered today, 16th of October to my doorstep in Western Australia. 5 business days Hungary --> WA. Very happy!

Saw cuts well, chain was sharpened, the saw was very well packed, and everything was wrapped up nice and tight. Once I get the few imperfections fixed, I'll go and purchase a 28" bar for the saw and see how she copes with it! Sliced through a 18" diameter Gumtree log like it was nothing for my test cut

Make sure, at a minimum, it has a muffler mod and the carb limiters removed (and set the Hi approximately 1+1/8 out. A cooler running saw will last much longer and it will run stronger with these modifications.

If it struggles with a 28" b+c you can always go half or full skip.

461s are good saws, but IMO the 460s were just as good and were more rugged (had fewer issues). Some parts, like the crank, are interchangeable between the two, but the cases and recoils are different. (A 460 recoil will work, but only 3 bolt holes line up).

Back