What Stihl for a 28 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno- A Westie Aussie, sounding like not too much experience with chainsawin', imports a 461 from Europe, is thinking about bolting a 28 inch bar to it, not sure if he should choose .404 or 3/8 chain, not sure on pitch versus gauge and needs to climb with the saw to so a take down from the top because there is nowhere for the entire tree to fall.
All I want is video!

I dunno- A Westie Aussie, sounding like not too much experience with chainsawin', imports a 461 from Europe, is thinking about bolting a 28 inch bar to it, not sure if he should choose .404 or 3/8 chain, not sure on pitch versus gauge and needs to climb with the saw to so a take down from the top because there is nowhere for the entire tree to fall.
All I want is video!

We'll see! I'll send pictures of the saw when it arrives as a minimum. :)

Purchased a Stihl MS461 from @David Major. Very satisfied with both the saw and the seller. David was very honest and I can only say positive things about him. He went above and beyond to send me pictures etc... The saw has a few small imperfections and David said, however they are inexpensive parts.

Came with a 20" bar and chain, Shipped 10th of October and got delivered today, 16th of October to my doorstep in Western Australia. 5 business days Hungary --> WA. Very happy!

Saw cuts well, chain was sharpened, the saw was very well packed, and everything was wrapped up nice and tight. Once I get the few imperfections fixed, I'll go and purchase a 28" bar for the saw and see how she copes with it! Sliced through a 18" diameter Gumtree log like it was nothing for my test cut

Good choice that saw. There's a reason the 461 hung around in Stihl's lineup long after newer models superseded it.

Similarly, the 372 in Husky's line.

Good "buying" thread, btw. :clap:

Make sure, at a minimum, it has a muffler mod and the carb limiters removed (and set the Hi approximately 1+1/8 out. A cooler running saw will last much longer and it will run stronger with these modifications.

If it struggles with a 28" b+c you can always go half or full skip.

461s are good saws, but IMO the 460s were just as good and were more rugged (had fewer issues). Some parts, like the crank, are interchangeable between the two, but the cases and recoils are different. (A 460 recoil will work, but only 3 bolt holes line up).

I had a 441 with a 25" bar and never had a problem with it but I recently upgraded to a 500i with a 28" bar.
I think the 441 could probably also pull that 28" bar. I sold a 440 to a tree service company and they have been using a 28" bar with it for 10 years. Just MHO.

I'm running 404 because the bar and chain came with the 064 when I bought it (used). To me, the cutters on a 404 chain are a little longer so I think I get more life out of it but I don't have any data to say whether that is true or not. I think the cutters also stand a little taller relative to the depth gauges so they tend to take a litter bigger bite too. I also like that the 404 chain has a little more space for chips. With the bar mostly buried, I don't feel like the saw has any problems getting chips out. I have very little experience with 3/8 chain, so I can't really speak as to whether its a better option or not. I will say that for +80cc saws, I like the idea of running thicker (.063) drive links.

All of that said, I think a big consideration should be given to what you're using on your other saws, or even what is the 20" bar that came with the saw? My other saws are all running 18" and 20" loops of .325 x .062 chain so there has never been a reason for me to put any effort into working with 3/8. If your 20" bar, your other saws, or other's you cut with generally run 3/8 x .050 (for example), then that's what I'd probably recommend for the 28" bar. Keeping things the same and minimize the number of other support tools you need to maintain everything.
I have an MS500i, which is 79cc, stock. The chain is 3/8", 0.050 gage rapid super, full comp. Though I normally run a 20" bar, I have buried a 25" bar in hickory, and the saw has plenty of power for that. I am confident it could handle a 28" bar buried, but I have no need for something that big, as I just cut firewood. The felling jobs on larger timber are done by the timber buyers; I mostly deal with tops and wind-blown or diseased or heavy leaners; stuff the timber buyers don't want.

044 is my all time favorite saw with a 20" bar it might pull a 24-28" but I dont think I would be happy with it.

28" bar and our hardwoods oak, maple, ash it is either bigger 70cc or 90cc saws, 460, 461, 372,572, 660,395,592 for me.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    142.2 KB
I have an MS500i, which is 79cc, stock. The chain is 3/8", 0.050 gage rapid super, full comp. Though I normally run a 20" bar, I have buried a 25" bar in hickory, and the saw has plenty of power for that. I am confident it could handle a 28" bar buried, but I have no need for something that big, as I just cut firewood. The felling jobs on larger timber are done by the timber buyers; I mostly deal with tops and wind-blown or diseased or heavy leaners; stuff the timber buyers don't want.
Same here,500I with a 25" bar / chain. Mostly felling ash. Some over 100' tall for firewood here. Plenty of power, I like the quick in and out for felling as I'm just a homeowner. No doubt it would pull a 28" + set up. Sometimes I wish I'd have taken the longer bar when I purchased the saw, but for the most part it's great for felling and bucking.

044 is my all time favorite saw with a 20" bar it might pull a 24-28" but I dont think I would be happy with it.

28" bar and our hardwoods oak, maple, ash it is either bigger 70cc or 90cc saws, 460, 461, 372,572, 660,395,592 for me.
I looked up the specs. The 044 developed 5.36 Hp. I think it could handle a 28" bar if you did not lean on it too hard. Maybe use a semi chisel instead of full chisel.

My 10mm 044 is not ported, but has a base gasket delete, muffler mod (dual port), timing advance and a low restriction air filter. It came with a KS P+C and it runs like a ported saw (even though I did not modify the cylinder at all).

I keep a 20" B+C on it, but I have run it with a 28" bar with full comp buried in Red Oak, and it did just fine. I run square file on all my saws.

I purchased it new in Dec 92. I also purchased a new OEM piston for it (when I did the base gasket delete) but did not use it because it did not have stabilizers and had a shorter skirt. It still runs great with the original P+C.

I looked up the specs. The 044 developed 5.36 Hp. I think it could handle a 28" bar if you did not lean on it too hard. Maybe use a semi chisel instead of full chisel.
Or I can just run the larger saws rated to pull longer bars which has been working for me. ;) the 592XP pulls a 24" bar just fine with a 8 pin.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    5.2 MB
My ported 044/046-D cylinder Hybrid is lighter and pulls a 28" bar with full comp chain like a freight train.

Doc Al did an excellent port job on it, and there are some tricks to giving a hybrid lots of torque ... it does not just happen.

I also have a ported 660 that dynoed at 8.6 Hp that pulls a 24" bar extremely well. Does a great job noodling large hardwood rounds.

The heavier saws are just fine for bucking and milling, but if you are felling, especially away from your vehicle and on steep slopes, a lighter saw is appreciated.

Back