What to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bludenz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to figure out what saw I want to get.

1) Would run a 28 inch bar and chain full time - hard wood, bar would be buried. (Wood is gum, lots of different species, and Peppermint tree, aka Agonis Flexuosa)
2) budget is roughly 1000aud, or approx 700usd
3) Preferably Stihl, that is what I have parts/tools for, also most dealers in my area only sell Stihl parts...
4) I don't mind if it is either m-tronic, or manual carb.
5) I'd rather not port saws, I'd like to keep mine OEM :)

I've read good things about the 461, so that's what I've been looking for. I've been looking for quite a while and these are rather rare, or very expensive here in Aus. I've also read good things about the 044, however I've heard some people say that a 24 inch bar is it's sweet spot, can anyone confirm? Other than that, I've looked at the 661c-m, which comes up occasionally for okay prices. I've also heard not so good things about the 441, apparently, "every company has a lemon, and the 441 falls into that catagory", again, can anyone confirm/deny thing?

I'd love a project 461, etc... however those just don't ever come up. A project saw for sale in Australia is extremely rare... I'm hoping that David Major on this forum can find a project 461 for me to purchase, his last one was already sold when I inquired about it :(

So, what saw do you recommend for me to purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back