What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odorless mineral spirits, does a good job of cleaning and doesn't stink up the shop too badly. I clean it out 3-4 times per year and take the dirty solvent to the local repair shop where they add it to their waste oil tank and burn it in the shop heater all winter. I'm tempted to try a water base cleaner but I like the protection I get from the mineral spirits, leaves a very slight film of oil on the parts so they don't rust.

Mark

Been using the TSC Solvent in mine also. The stuff is pricey at an average of $9 a gallon. I started soaking stuff in 180 +- hot water mixed with Lysol and Dawn pressure rinse it at 120 lbs. through a cheap hvlp paint gun and blow it dry. It keeps the solvent cleaner for awhile and gets stuff really clean fast without a lot of brushing and scrubbing
View attachment 1212127

I put 7 gallons in my parts cleaner barrel when I got it. of course, all the grit sinks to the bottom of the barrel. the cleaner gets cloudy pretty fast from cleaning greasy stuff, but I've had it in there for a lot of projects and it's still cleaning well. have thought about mounting a filter to the barrel but haven't gotten around to it.

this parts cleaner came out of an automotive shop. when I got it home, I cleaned it pretty thoroughly. there was about 6 inches of pretty solid sludge in the bottom of the barrel from years of shop use. got it out with a putty knife and some solvent. probably another half inch in there again now from me.

Back