What's the ideal 2 stroke oil brand and mix ratio to have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some other stuff that I learned from my first Saw the 026, and my first String trimmer, Echo SRM 210 I think it was, is that eventually before the 20 year mark, I would need to begin to learn how to diagnose problems with starting or running performance issues. Some of which became lessons on carb rebuilds from a buddy's uncle who has been in lawn maintenance and equipment repairs for 40 years. He sure had a natural ability to diagnose. I say this because even after he rebuilt and adjusted my SRM 210, He did another USED SRM and said : "something doesn't sound right" He said it sounded like the exhaust was clogged. Turned out that mud dawbers had caked it up. Cleaned it, adjusted carb and we were good to go.

Sometimes we can only learn by first hand experiences, in my 026 case, it began life as my only saw, got used fairly regularly for clearing and firewood. then not so much, as I got fewer tree jobs. This led me to experience my first hard starting, poor running experiences.

By then, I was into the 2010's and could learn from people on here, youtube etc about diagnosing a saw/ 2 stroke engine the right ways.
In my case, I learned about gummed up fuel lines, impulse line, fuel filter, carb issues. In the process, I learned about what I feel is one of the most important things to watch for in saws other than fuel quality. A well sealed saw that is sealed where it is supposed to be and breathes where it needs as well. A lean running, insufficiently oiled saw spells trouble.

I said it before, I am not a post policeman/narc/ red flag sissy or anything, but the OP is new to the site. He may even be new to forums in general. If we treat his question like sarcastic jerks, he may just get a sour impression of Arborstsite.com.

As I see it, he previously posted a thread asking questions about general tips on upkeep of saws that he hopes to learn how to keep his saws in good shape, and now he just wants US to give him a simple answer on oil. If I see things from his viewpoint, he is likely fairly new to saws, and wants to get off on the right foot as far as Oil/ Mix gas, and maintenance practices from more experienced guys from the forum. Rather than poke fun, if you don't want to make a simple direct answer to the man, maybe hold off on the hassling type posts and direct him to some links about oil that are already here.
Sound advice sir!

Most all 2 stroke oils work totally fine.
I use lucas semi synthetic at 32:1, it says it's for chainsaws on the back of the bottle.
They also make boat and sled premix, I dont use it, lucas has a bad rep because guys tried the boat oil in their saws not the chainsaw oil.
This oil is fine, it's not as good as dominator, I know that but it's way cheaper, easier for me to get and nothing has blown up in the 10+ years I've been using it on both saws and dirt bikes.

Amsoil Saber...; At 40 to 1 ratio..???
Are we talking about that World Famous Saber that advertises " Proven at 100 to 1" ??
Personally, I thought that 100 to 1 was pushing the envelope a bit.
So.. I've been running that stuff for about a decade, at 70 to 1 ratio. I ran it in everything I had.. Stihl, Echo,.. everything.. ( chainsaws, line trimmers, leaf blowers, etc.. Even ran that ratio in the LawnBoys, ( which called for 32 to 1 ratio), they loved it. Ran it in my mid 90s' 30 H.P. Yamaha outboard. Ran it in a beater 2 stroke snow blower. The whole idea was that I ran 1 mix and fuel for ALL equipment. 70 to 1 ( Premium Ethanol free plus Saber), so no worries about the crew screwing up, or re-tuning. Used to be able to get the Saber in "pillow packs".. Just to make sure that the crew couldn't screw it up, it was one pilow pack in three Liters to make 70 to 1.
Never fouled a plug, never fouled an exhaust screen, never saw smoke out the exhaust. Never had a single engine failure. Have stuff that should have been dead a long, long time ago, ( just from total hours ) that still runs like a champ. I Mill with an old school Stihl, at that ratio.. No worries.
But seriously.. Running Saber at 40 or 50 to 1?? I just don't get it.
That stuff is, ( at least in Canada ), expensive. What are the benefits of mixing it so rich??
$14 a quart as a preferred customer up North here for Saber . Like Sean have been using Red Armor lately , since i recieved 5 gallons at an extremely good promo sale price . 50:1 for both oils is satifactory for both my homeowner & ported commercial saws !

Most all 2 stroke oils work totally fine.
I use lucas semi synthetic at 32:1, it says it's for chainsaws on the back of the bottle.
They also make boat and sled premix, I dont use it, lucas has a bad rep because guys tried the boat oil in their saws not the chainsaw oil.
This oil is fine, it's not as good as dominator, I know that but it's way cheaper, easier for me to get and nothing has blown up in the 10+ years I've been using it on both saws and dirt bikes.
Dominator in properly tuned unit is awesome product !

The 026 and 044 are my favorite saws! Both great saws in my opinion!

Yes sir, we are neighbors! I use to work at a shop in Hanover. Made several deliveries down in Baltimore County!

Back