wood dust in the carb hard on the saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2022 SuperDuty Ford with the 6.7 diesel and it actually runs their 10w-30 HD diesel oil, but the manual states in high temperature climates you can use a 15w-40. I use 15w-40 or 5w-40 in my other diesels, I've been using Valvoline Blue / Premium Blue because they sell it at Napa.

Edit: I was sort of wrong, the manual states 5w-40 for extreme use, and 15w-40 if you're running bio diesel, and otherwise just use 10w-30.

I have 2022 SuperDuty Ford with the 6.7 diesel and it actually runs their 10w-30 HD diesel oil, but the manual states in high temperature climates you can use a 15w-40. I use 15w-40 or 5w-40 in my other diesels, I've been using Valvoline Blue / Premium Blue because they sell it at Napa.
Most Ford diesels have speed 10w30 diesel oils for winter use and have since the 7.3 power stroke. If you are using a 10w30 you will have less protection.

Most Ford diesels have speed 10w30 diesel oils for winter use and have since the 7.3 power stroke. If you are using a 10w30 you will have less protection.
I'll get a screenshot from my owner manual when I have a chance, but it came filled with 10w-30 and recommends it, I wouldn't dare deviate from the OEM specs while that thing is under warranty, but I can't disagree with liking a 40 weight oil in a diesel.

Edit: There appears to be a Motocraft 5w-40 available that I could use, so next oil change I'll probably make the switch.

I brought up film thickness, as it does what you called film strength does. It is not actually a clearance thing. If the clearance is less than the film thickness, wear will occur. And I did answer your question as posed. I don't know what an Xw40 oil is, but the Ford 6.7l turbodiesels use 5W40, as I told you before.
Time Out Please, side bar on multi wt vs versus straight wt:
When I was hauling logs in the 70s we used straight 40 wt in the 855ci Hercules in our '42 Federal 6 by. It got HOT when we worked it hard, and it used quite a bit of oil. One day (I was out of town) my dad and brother apparently couldn't find any more 40wt so the dumped in a couple gallons of 10w-40. Lost a rod same day. Fast forward to the mid eighties. I was working on the North Slope in the arctic in the winter (-20F), everything ran 24-7 with straight 30wt. I asked why they didn't use the new "Frigid Go" multi-vis oil, and was told "We used to, but lost too many engines". That was 40 yrs ago, but still I have this nagging suspicion that the multi-vis oils do not really have as much viscosity at high temp as the old straight wt oils. I still run straight 40wt in my two vintage Detroits, and straight 30wt in the Continental flathead in my 50-something Hyster forklift. Are there not a whole lot of air-cooled Harleys out there still running a straight wt oil? And airplanes also? I do run multi-vis of course in all my autos & motorcycles, including my '73 F100.
I haven't actually done this, but I think it would be an interesting "real world" test. The 360 in the F100 is getting tired, oil pressure not what it I would like to see, so currently running 20w50 racing oil. I wonder if the hot-run pressure would go up if I changed to straight 50wt motorcycle oil or airplane oil? Obviously NOT good for start-up, but strictly for the comparison of straight wt vs multi-vis at hot run, would be interesting to see what it does.
What do you think?

I'll get a screenshot from my owner manual when I have a chance, but it came filled with 10w-30 and recommends it, I wouldn't dare deviate from the OEM specs while that thing is under warranty, but I can't disagree with liking a 40 weight oil in a diesel.

Edit: There appears to be a Motocraft 5w-40 available that I could use, so next oil change I'll probably make the switch.
I believe they reccomend 5w40 for "Severe Duty" or similar verbiage.

Back