how many saws do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All together, we are at 176.
Range from 1946 to 2007 most will / have run in the past.
Only a dozen or so are hard seized and are way down the list to fix. Another 12 or so are parts saws.

Don

Holy smokes! Y'all redefine what it means to like saws!

I just have one lonely Stihl MS290.

In fairness, though, I doubt I should be permitted to own a *real* saw. :msp_sad:

Two. One for limbing (Stihl 460), the other for felling and bucking (Stihl 660). Though been using the limbing saw for bucking for the last couple weeks. I dropped the 660 off at the saw shop over a month ago to have the carb worked on and they are still not done. "We're busy".... yeah... so am I!

Making your living with saws seems prudent to have a few, not a couple..just saying. I only cut on the farm for cleanup and for my firewood, but I usually haul around 5 out with me, grab the right one. Different size engines and bar lengths...

sort of like wrenches, or golf clubs....

I cut from one inch to like three feet or so on a typical cutting expedition so I like a variety of sizes to grab and use...I also am not very far from the tractor and trailer when I am cutting either, so it doesn't matter how much gear I haul out. I'll have chains, axes, wedges, rope, comealong, truck jack, all sorts of do dads. Don't have a skidder or grapple or anything, so , make do with what I have, but saws are relatively cheap to get used, I buy junkers and fix them. Typically no farther than 150 feet or so, tops, from where I can wiggle the trailer in. Rope and chain them out, or cut to size and wheelbarrow or just pick it up, chunks, and carry it out.

I can understand having to hump in miles toting what you need, etc..but, still, only two saws for pro work? Splurge, just go nuts, buy one more.....you deserve it.

Two. One for limbing (Stihl 460), the other for felling and bucking (Stihl 660). Though been using the limbing saw for bucking for the last couple weeks. I dropped the 660 off at the saw shop over a month ago to have the carb worked on and they are still not done. "We're busy".... yeah... so am I!

Go get your 660 at the saw shop. Learn to fix it yourself.
If your not sure, Thats what we're here for. To give assistance
to others that aren't in the know. Lots of knowledgable guys
on this site that will talk you threw it. You shouldn't have to
wait a month.

Lee

total saw number

I thought it would be cool to see how my collection compares to some of the others on here. I had 18 at last count, maybe 19 now?
Also, lets hear what the majority of your collection is. Mine is mostly magnesium felling saws in the 80+cc range (up to 103cc)

23 last count up to 137cc regards alan.

Somewhere between 60 and 100.

I should say that Jon and I have 60 - 100 saws in various states of repair. Better? :cheers:

+1. It fluctuates constantly. I've sent at least 20 away in the last year (and parted out 5-10 or so). At least that many have come in however. At one of our GTG's early this year 2Dogs asked me how many saws I had now. I thought for a few seconds and replied that I really didn't know....:msp_confused:

It's a constantly changing mix of 'ready to go work' runners, runners that are currently sidelined for minor things (or that were obtained as 'runners' and haven't yet been gone through and 'certified' for duty), 'almost runners' (only needing minor parts/work to be runners), 'projects' (more involved), and parts saws.

Then there's the saws that belong to other folks (about 5-6 of them right now). Then there's the bins (mass graves?) of the remnants of parted out saws in the 'boneyard'. Those aren't counted in the total...

Fifty-ish? I don't like to count things when I'm not getting paid to.

Also +1.

Last weekend I spend 1/2 a day just reorganizing saws, parts, and such (and remembering what I have). Had a few "crap I'd forgotten I had that..." moments....:dizzy:

Last weekend I spend 1/2 a day just reorganizing saws, parts, and such (and remembering what I have). Had a few "crap I'd forgotten I had that..." moments....:dizzy:

If you were an elephant rather than a circus bear you wouldn't have these memory problems...

About a year and a half or two ago, I had one Poulan microXXVdeluxe.
Now 16 saws with B&C. many for free, several for just a few bucks.
The repair back log is overflowing...school is in session.... but they ALL made noise and wirrrrrred the chain at least once.

Between 30-40.

25 or so runners. Rest either sort of run or are awaiting the bench.

Probably 50 parts saws.

You know you have too many saws when...

You see a listing on CL, get excited and click on it only to realize it's one of your own saws your trying to sell.

If you were an elephant rather than a circus bear you wouldn't have these memory problems...

and what no one will tell you,,is that after they contracted the syndrome....the saw popu just kept growing.....getting rid of some??? UNHEARD OF!!! whyyyy, know how much time and sweat I put into that saw??????:laugh::laugh: the ONLY reason some sell one or so,,is to get enough cash, to purchase a BUNCH more!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh: and the McCullough king of this site,,may wonder when his garage is going to start settling!!!!

Well, I have one more than I did when I left the house this morning and 2 more than I had when the rest of the family left on vacation Sunday.

I'd love to see the outfits you guys run to need 20+ saws. My company is just two guys right now, me and a part time worker. I run the saws, he does the splitter, loading in the trailer, etc. Two saws is plenty.

I'd love to see the outfits you guys run to need 20+ saws. My company is just two guys right now, me and a part time worker. I run the saws, he does the splitter, loading in the trailer, etc. Two saws is plenty.

How many pairs of shoes do you own? If more than one, why? You can only wear one pair at a time.

Latest posts

Back