One mans junk, another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy, nice rebuilt...Stihl#1 will be proud of ya...!!:)

That ring retaining tool is a nice tool to have for sure.
Did you ever take apart an 015(L) ? It has the same cylinder design but it has a freaking main rod bearing with loose rollers that like to fall out during assembly. I replaced a scored piston on one last week and 1 tiny roller fell out unnnoticed during assy....when I tightened the pan onto the cylinder, that little bugger punched a nice hole in the case......grrrrr. :monkey:

These hobbies can pinch your wallet if you get too involved in them...

Now you know why you have to be "cheap" sometimes if you want them 200 saws in your collection to run .....otherwise you spent a small fortune, hint, hint....:cheers:

was that a brand new cylinder?? i thought if you smoke a clamshell then it is pretty much garbage??? also anyone have a good ms270 cylinder they want to sell? or engine??

I think this is one of those threads that's going to go into the AS Homeowner Saw THall of Fame. Cool, that you're doing this! :cheers:

I vote that, once Tommy's pictorial is finished, all the chatter in between his posts gets deleted so the thread can serve as a fine tutorial, with the golf claps and inevitable bickering coming after. :)
For this thread to be helpful... I say when Tom is done... the mods delete all the posts in between all of Tom's steps... including this one.

That way it'll be easier to look at the thread as a "how to" build.

Gary

I love the irony.

Put up too many of these and you are going to put yourself out of business Tommy!

I think it has to do with who gives you rep. If I gave you rep it wouldn't amount to much. If the king Mow or Ultra, Saw Troll or others give you rep it would move your little bars quite a bit.

Or you can just find some circle-jerk rep thread in the off the topic forum and rep each other all day long.

Which one did you hang out at

Not hard to find out. Just click on the username, then select "find more posts by the user".

Or you can search threads by user. Turns out some people have almost half their posts in a single thread.

To each their own. If little stars and bars tickle your pickle, then good luck to ya.

Me? I'm going to stop messing up Tom's thread any more than I already have.

I'm no saw mechanic just an operator but the whole clamshell thing seems to be blow way out of perportion as you just proved. We got a new 270 that had a crank seal leak and dropped it off at lunch and it was fixed in a few hours and that was by a stihl shop owner who has to wait on customers as well. Obviously had to wait for everything to set up but he's more comfy workin on a 290 than a 260 simply because he sells them 20 to 1. Great thread Tommy!

Not hard to find out. Just click on the username, then select "find more posts by the user".

Or you can search threads by user. Turns out some people have almost half their posts in a single thread.

To each their own. If little stars and bars tickle your pickle, then good luck to ya.

Me? I'm going to stop messing up Tom's thread any more than I already have.

Your not messing anything up, shoot if you noticed I merely did the whole process by pics and said nothing. Whats the ole saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. Hopefully some can look at the pics and see how that series of saw comes together. Its really fairly easy but maybe alittle awkward for the 1st timers...

I'm no saw mechanic just an operator but the whole clamshell thing seems to be blow way out of perportion as you just proved. We got a new 270 that had a crank seal leak and dropped it off at lunch and it was fixed in a few hours and that was by a stihl shop owner who has to wait on customers as well. Obviously had to wait for everything to set up but he's more comfy workin on a 290 than a 260 simply because he sells them 20 to 1. Great thread Tommy!

The fact that so many 029 and 290 saws are Stihl running proves the clamshell isn't lacking anything. Those saws run forever...

There has always been a big misconception about the clam shell design. They require alittle more time to take apart and put back together but the design itself is very strong and dependable...

Your not messing anything up, shoot if you noticed I merely did the whole process by pics and said nothing. Whats the ole saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. Hopefully some can look at the pics and see how that series of saw comes together. Its really fairly easy but maybe alittle awkward for the 1st timers...

That's why this thread is so notable. Not only is it an excellent resource, but you actually let something that speaks for itself...well...speak for itself!

Top notch Tommy!

toll tha holds the piston rings???

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

where did you get it from???....

Thanks for a great thread

Latest posts

Back