whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to tell you, this right here is the best pole saw blade I’ve ever used, hands down. Like night and day from the ars turbo cut and fanno blades I used to use. Never seen a pole saw blade you can actually cut (accurately) with just the last four inches. Just a pleasure to use. Almost makes pruning enjoyable.

D3B6DC8F-5AC3-45BF-B1EC-411E88FDDFEA.jpeg

I’m going to tell you, this right here is the best pole saw blade I’ve ever used, hands down. Like night and day from the ars turbo cut and fanno blades I used to use. Never seen a pole saw blade you can actually cut (accurately) with just the last four inches. Just a pleasure to use. Almost makes pruning enjoyable.

View attachment 938386
You must have never used a silky polesaw then. Nothing compares.

You must have never used a silky polesaw then. Nothing compares.

Silky stopped offering their pole saws in the US due to a non compete agreement with Sherrill. Sherrill has their own pole saws now and I’m not sure if they’re rebranded silkys or their own make but they leveraged silky to not sell in the us anymore.

Wait! Don Blair had his own sig harness? Any pics?
That was a very famous saddle he sold. But like most of my old saddles...gave it to a groundman when another woman (saddle) came into my life lol. But I have changed and I now own 4 that I use. I met Blair at Arbor Expo 1 in Phila in 1980 after his seminar. I was actually sitting right next to Alex Shigo chatting before anyone knew him and after his probably first seminar for treemen. Very memorable. More info than you asked for....

Silky stopped offering their pole saws in the US due to a non compete agreement with Sherrill. Sherrill has their own pole saws now and I’m not sure if they’re rebranded silkys or their own make but they leveraged silky to not sell in the us anymore.
pretty sure Notch rebranded the Silkys. If you look up the Hayauchi, no Silky around but the Notch 21' is the same thing.

View attachment 938386
I suppose that's what we had bought at one time...it took the place of the old mondo blades...double thick and double wide.

Mondos were the best and to me wood polesaws easiest to use...especially when they dry out. But if you bend one (blade) or they get rusty...much bigger expense..and it is gonna happen in short order..just the nature of pole saws. I ve had a 5 inch scar on my back forever where a polesaw blew out of the tree I was in and it landed on my back. Didn't feel much but could feel my back begin to get soaked...with blood.

Only problem is no suitable hook for moving my rope around. I guess I’m a little old school with that stuff. I might have to but a zubat though. I’m sure they’re a pleasure to use.
I guess I’m old school too because I take a grinder to it and put in a hook on the bottom of the bark cutter. Silky zubat for a handsaw, hayauchi for a polesaw.🤙

Only problem is no suitable hook for moving my rope around. I guess I’m a little old school with that stuff. I might have to but a zubat though. I’m sure they’re a pleasure to use.
I use one of the older hayauchis with a dull blade and even duller bark cutter to move the ropes around then use one with a sharp blade for cutting.

Nice little job to start the week off. We had some work in the backyard too, so had the lift there for that. Was nice to have another wire free angle from behind it too. Still beautiful out there, just a little cold and windy lately.
7DF11DC2-4458-4AB1-912A-EF3D28DCDF67.jpeg
3FAD1759-08C9-4536-B050-9B0F7AC07DDB.jpegFF11AF8D-41C5-43E3-8FBC-5DB9DD9BAA93.jpeg

Attachments

• FAC36DD2-3327-42DB-BC0D-93755481C751.jpeg
    FAC36DD2-3327-42DB-BC0D-93755481C751.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 8
Back