Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before serial number X 29 382 283 is 10mm. Top fins are 45 degree on the 10mm and horizontal on the 12mm looking from the back of the saw to the front.

Their were some early 12mm like that I believe, they are the exception. the serial number doesn't lie though, people mix and match parts sometimes too on older saws which can make it harder to tell what you have. You can bolt a 10mm jug on a 12mm saw and use a 12mm piston without doing anything else. Different timing and combustion chamber though. The older one has more compression generally and is more desirable.

The 044 shines with a longer bar up to 32 inch burred in hardwood. In smaller wood with a shorter bar the 266 Husky will be very close.

Before serial number X 29 382 283 is 10mm. Top fins are 45 degree on the 10mm and horizontal on the 12mm looking from the back of the saw to the front.
Most 12 mm 044 used the same Mahle slant fin as the 10mm. Only the late 12mm 044 had the straight fin cylinder

Yes, I remember now. My bad on that part. The cases are different between the 2 models as well, the pics in the last post show this clearly. The 046 had a bigger crank, you can put a 046 top end on a 12mm 044/440 with some work. This is not a bad option for a saw that has a blown top end but I wouldn't do this to a nice one that runs. This is not a direct bolt on option, it requires some machine work.

Back