10 reasons why Shindaiwa is just the best. !!!Warning: not for Husky or Stihl fans!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is:

How well do they take to modifications? I have a crate 488 that I've been thinking of fixing. The quality of the saw looks good. Split cases, forged crank etc.

Hey FredMc

I don't think you shoud attempt anything with your 488 parts. You should send it to me instead, I will dispose them properly.....

Hey FredMc

I don't think you shoud attempt anything with your 488 parts. You should send it to me instead, I will dispose them properly.....

Ya know this thread almost makes me want to mod the heck out of it and run it against a 346 husky! How do they work with a pop-up, porting and a timing advance? Has anyone here ever attempted this?

why mod?

You will find that your 488 is a perfect mid-size firewood saw right out of the box...unlike some other brands (cough) that require modification to work correctly. :)

You will find that your 488 is a perfect mid-size firewood saw right out of the box...unlike some other brands (cough) that require modification to work correctly. :)

Why!?! Not!!!! I already have 3 modded saws. Ain't none of em good enough till they have been tweeked. I'm wondering if a 488 could be made into a fire breather, the 115 I have now would chew up a stock 488.:cheers:

Okay guys is the 757 with the 28 inch bar a good deal or what, Got a buddy chomping at the bits to buy this thing. I told him to hold off i would ask you guys. tried to talk him into a stihl or husky but he likes this one. Why he needs a 28 inch bar i will never know. Think he has cad too.

Okay guys is the 757 with the 28 inch bar a good deal or what, Got a buddy chomping at the bits to buy this thing. I told him to hold off i would ask you guys. tried to talk him into a stihl or husky but he likes this one. Why he needs a 28 inch bar i will never know. Think he has cad too.

If you could get them down to $700 or less that would be good. One of my local dealers will do a 757 w/24" bar for $690. I paid $670 for mine with the 24" bar from a different dealer. Good Luck.:cheers:

If you could get them down to $700 or less that would be good. One of my local dealers will do a 757 w/24" bar for $690. I paid $670 for mine with the 24" bar from a different dealer. Good Luck.:cheers:

Just got a 757 for aus$600, as new_ one tank of fuel, bar unscratched.(US$400). Included hat c/w visor, earmuffs and bag and post. Seemed good value when you consider that australia retail is higher than US. List price here is US$815.

So are there going to be any Shinnys around after 2010 hits?

I'm not sure what is going to be in their line up, I don't think they do either. From what I have heard the new 502s is the only on that I know will still be here. Somebody said that the 757 will also stay but I don't know how that would be...

Just got a 757 for aus$600, as new_ one tank of fuel, bar unscratched.(US$400). Included hat c/w visor, earmuffs and bag and post. Seemed good value when you consider that australia retail is higher than US. List price here is US$815.

Good deal !
I was quoted $1120 twelve months ago just for the saw, no accessories.

Good deal !
I was quoted $1120 twelve months ago just for the saw, no accessories.

It's always good to get a good deal! I think I have bought about 20 saws this last week. Looks like I'm a chainsaw dealer. Most are non-runners. THere also seems to be a good market in demo saws- apparantly many councils etc frequently sell pallet loads, usuallly due to no oil. I even bought a chinacut saw to try!

Thanks again for your help rick

well he bought the saw, i told him not to complain if it didn't work like a stihl.lol The saw sounds good, he is going to try it out this weekend. The 28 inch bar makes it way off balance and heavy. he don't even need a bar that big but had to have it. He didn't even buy a smaller bar for it so if he cuts anything small it's gonna get used. Looks like a good saw to me, i would run it but without that bar. put a 20 on for me and save that big bar for some big wood. He gave 700 for it and was tickled to get it. I need to get him on here and talk about it. You guys would have him buying ten saws before the end of the month though.lol

24" bar

24" seems to be a good set up for general use with the 757. 32" if I need to get into some bigger stuff.

HI RICH

I like the 24" bar on my 757, although with a 20" on it, that would be cool too. Your buddy needs to stay away from here if he knows what's best for his wallet....:cheers:

24" seems to be a good set up for general use with the 757. 32" if I need to get into some bigger stuff.

Same here. The 32" carries skip; the last 24" chain I got was skip (all I could find on short notice), and I'm not that happy with the cutting speed. What do you use on your 24"?

-=[ Grant ]=-

Most of my chain is 30RC from Bailey's. I did pick up a skip chain for 32" bar awhile back but I haven't had a chance to run it. The saw handled the full comp okay when I put it into some bigger Alder, but I was far from burying the bar. I'm running .063 guage on the 32".

Latest posts

Back