200 to spend on a saw new or used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're thrashing Ryobi/ Redmax 400's with very limited use as you've described, I would get a bow saw before I would buy a 170 or 180. I had a 170 that needed the funky on/off/choke pull out tab thing, and it cost some crazy amount of dough$$$$. And it was a pain in the @zz to put on if I remember. Those saws never left a great impression on me.

If you don't want an Echo, Redmax, or Husky, you don't have a whole lot of options left. Sounds like you have your mind made up.

170 and 180 will do the tasks that u stated in your first post. Might not be much power but if u need limbing and light firewood they would be fine, or taking it camping with you it doesnt take up space.

I will eventually be adding a bigger saw to a 180 just to have for larger storm clean up.... That saw might be a 251 if i like what i see when my buddy gets one. Like u i dont need a saw very often and its nice to have a small saw to throw in the basket on the ATV or back of truck.

I don't mean to insult anyone but how does the ms170 compare to a poulan wood shark lol? I had one for 3 years. Never gave me a problem it felt like a pos though. paid 50 for it refurbished It took about 10 pulls to start even being tuned properly though.

the stihl has better a/v and the fuel caps don't swell shut most of the time lol
all the newer poulans I had besides the pp5020av where junk really.

PP5020 would be a great buy, except for its weight for someone who labels himself "weak". I've beaten on one for 2.5 yrs and it runs better than new.

Rather than dropping any bux on a low-end Stihl, for your purposes, I'd get a refurb Husqy 435 for $170 at VMInnovations dot com. Way better value. 40 cc screamer. Check to see if they have any in inventory. Prices include FedEx delivery.

saw shops carry these used for around 100-150$ here good little dependable saws.Husqvarna350_3.jpg

pine log makes any saw look fast lol

Yeah you got me there. Just happened to be what I had to cut up right after I finished it. Blew down in a blizzard that winter. I'll have to get an updated video in some oak for ya.

If you're thrashing Ryobi/ Redmax 400's with very limited use as you've described, I would get a bow saw before I would buy a 170 or 180. I had a 170 that needed the funky on/off/choke pull out tab thing, and it cost some crazy amount of dough$$$$. And it was a pain in the @zz to put on if I remember. Those saws never left a great impression on me.

If you don't want an Echo, Redmax, or Husky, you don't have a whole lot of options left. Sounds like you have your mind made up.
My experience was far from limited with redmax/ryobi. I bought one as my first new saw out of the box wouldn't idle it was set so lean about 3 uses later maybe an hour total my killswitch stopped working so I had to use. The choke to kill it. Fast forward a few more uses my recoil starter reel stopped gripping the flywheel never found out why I ordered a new reel that didn't do it I got so pissed off at the thing I stuck it out for free in the yard. Fast forward another year won an auction seller claimed runs great never got it running had no spark at all got my 50 bucks back same thing that went out for free with the other 10532. Not only that but every time I see one for sale it's either not running or something major broke. I really wanted to like them that's why I was considering a real redmax but obviously others have had problems for red max to stop making saws. In the end I got a wood shark no problems at all ( minus those stupid cheap plastic fill caps seizing and needing vice grips to open it every time. Then I got a husqvarna 440 or 445 reconditioned for 200 a few years ago I don't remember but that was sold after a couple uses. the oiler never worked properly. I can't get a used 435 for 150 that needs a new chain if I did want one.

Back