200 to spend on a saw new or used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, it sounds to me like you don't really need another saw. Your CS400 is perfect for what you need it for. Just be careful not to pinch the bar, wedges are your friend. I always carry a good hatchet, felling/bucking wedges and a hammer or small sledge for this reason, all of those fit in my dad's old Craftsman toolbox. Only had a bar get pinched bad enough to have to cut it out once, and that was in big wood, 20"+.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you don't really need another saw. Your CS400 is perfect for what you need it for. Just be careful not to pinch the bar, wedges are your friend. I always carry a good hatchet, felling/bucking wedges and a hammer or small sledge for this reason, all of those fit in my dad's old Craftsman toolbox. Only had a bar get pinched bad enough to have to cut it out once, and that was in big wood, 20"+.

i have to assume your from back east :laugh: :D

I've gotten saws stuck at least 5 times lol in the same year back when I was cutting a few cords given i probably had no idea what I was doing

i have to assume your from back east :laugh: :D

Heh, I guess if you consider So. IL "East" then yeah. I stay away from the big dogs, I don't have the equipment to handle it and it's too much work for a guy my size doing it myself. My current project is limbing and bucking the main branches of a monster wind blown Red Oak that is easily 4'+ in diameter. The main branch was just about my limit, maxed out around 24". And the tree was live when it came down earlier this year, so it's green and loaded with water. Heavy $&!+...

you dont hear this much on a A.S. :) :)

I've gotten saws stuck at least 5 times lol in the same year back when I was cutting a few cords given i probably had no idea what I was doing

Learn to watch your kerf, if it starts to shrink or the log starts to shift, get it wedged up before it's too late.

Your probably right I had 2 Poland in case one went bed then decided to sell both and get one good echo instead. It's probably more of a want. With that said I think I still want another. What's a good price for a used 026 local? 250? Should I haggle if I'm interested? What to look for? I hate all the gaskets and seals that could go wrong in older two strokes. Why would I want say a 025 over a ms250? Is the 250 better built then a 170? Currently I'm thinking a new ms170 which is 183 with tax I'm sure it would be trouble free for me for years I love the 8.6 lbs. or a m250 wish I could find one used local as new is 350 plus tax. Or the 026 that's local

How do you like the pp5020av? I was playing with one at the store the tag say 15.5 lbs what if it had a 16 bar on it how many lbs? That thing was heavy and poorly balanced. I never actually had a problem with any poulan pro I've had about 5. Weed eater brand is pure garbage and regular poulan is Ina between.

the pp5020av uses a k095 bar mount same as a husky 55 put a 16 on that saw and tune the carb and they are quite the saw once broken in, don't let it fool you the saw has some quite a bit of husky parts in it.
yeah its a touch heavy but you don't have to put a lot of weight on it to cut.

I've got a CS400 in the shop right now that we can't figure out. It will run on a prime.....but will not run on the carb. Nothing I can find wrong with the carb, fuel line, or impulse.....

Weird.....

I think $250 is a little high for a 026. If it's a 026 Pro that could be a good deal. Haggle regardless.

The 250 is a better saw than the 170. I know a tree company that uses them. Their not top of the line but they're in a whole other league than the 170.

The 025 and 250 aren't the same saw, unlike the 026 and 260. I don't know if the 025 is better than the 250 but I'd say for your intended use you'll never notice the difference.

Don't overlook the Tradin Post here, lot of great sellers and good deals.

I've got a CS400 in the shop right now that we can't figure out. It will run on a prime.....but will not run on the carb. Nothing I can find wrong with the carb, fuel line, or impulse.....

Weird.....

How far out do you have the adjusters, they won't run at 1-1/4 turns out. Start at 3-1/2 turns out then work back in. Steve

Weird.....
I don't know if they got a bad batch of carbs but I've had to replace 2 on CS-400s in the shop over the last year that I just could not get straightened out.

I love my ms170. Use it to limb and cut small stuff when I dont need the 391. Even cut some 24 inch thick ash logs before. Not gunna win any speed race though.

Just skip straight to a snellerized MS 201 C-E, and a masterminded MS 362 C-M.

Weird.....

I had a carb doing the exact problem. The only thing I saw funky with it was the bark stains left behind by ethanol. Newer carb and that saw was up and running fine.

I just came across a saw for less than $200 that's new and not on your list. Try Baileys and look at the 3351 Tanaka. I've never run one but have run old Tanaka weedbeaters and those things were bulletproof.

Those Tanaka saws look impressive.
Chevy, the 170 will do you fine if you use it for occasional limbing, home chores, etc. But as you indicated in your last post, you'll need to compliment it with a larger saw to do the occasional tree jobs as listed in your first post. I just saw a nice 025 here in KS for 180obo. A saw like this would be many times the saw the 170 is and a good used one can be bought in the same price range.

Whichever way you decide, take a look at onescraig.com. it's a search engine that you type in, for example, Stihl 026. It will will bring up,listings all over the US and that will give you a feel for prices.
You're still better off buying a good saw or two from the Tradin Post here on AS.

Good luck on your purchases and let us know what you choose.

Back