2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your spaghetti squash does OK hanging from baskets? I'm thinking of trellises for other vine squash.
I planted the seeds in mounds on the ground and put tomato cage over each mound (three plants each/two mounds) - they're climbing up everything - the fence, and the tomato cages, even over the cages with tomatoes!
I'm leading one vine to the hog wire arch over the fish pond to see what it does.

I planted the seeds in mounds on the ground and put tomato cage over each mound (three plants each/two mounds) - they're climbing up everything - the fence, and the tomato cages, even over the cages with tomatoes!
I'm leading one vine to the hog wire arch over the fish pond to see what it does.
I use an angled piece of hog panel for my cucumbers to grow on in a raised bed, otherwise the vines go everywhere.

Picked a mess of yellow beans just now. :cool:
Some "expert" on facebook said picking beans too soon will diminish the yield - is this true?
I always thought just the opposite - picking stimulated more production.

DSC00135.JPG

Some "expert" on facebook said picking beans too soon will diminish the yield - is this true?

View attachment 1185558
Not sure about the yield thing. I do like to pick wax beans when they are a nice gold color.

View attachment 1185558
Early harvest is sometimes referred to as "cropping" allows the plant to focus on the remaining fruit.
It may reduce your harvest amount, but the quality is generally improved.

Beans love to be picked! We pick 4 full sized crops from a planting before the plants give up the ghost! Best quality is at the peak of size and numbers. Pick the size you want,-- let the smaller ones wait a few days. Gotta work the plants and watch every day. You can get tons of good quality beans doing this. Works for us here.

Not sure? From a patch my parents started before I was born, an heirloom? It has huge thick spears the size of your thumb but still tender at picking size.

I had good germination even though the seeds were two years old. I'll plant most of the remaining ones to see if they still germinate. I saved new seeds from this fall.

Picture of some of the stalks this fall with red seeds/berries. The other "weed" in the picture is a mint plant that shares some of the space with the asparagus. Not a great picture but was just trying to show the berries.View attachment 1141391
Seeds are from female plants like Mary Washington. Thick stems/spear sound male, but maybe your father garden is full of sh!t, I mean Compost.
So the rich soil makes bigger spears. Great photos of seedlings & you can not beat the price.Just my two cent worth.

Why aren't my tomatoes turning red?

The plants look very good, nice color and size, no insect damage, plenty of green tomatoes in various sizes.
I picked one this morning that was pinkish in color, but one side was split and there was what looked like a worm hole.
I put it in the tad tank to see if they would eat it.

IMG_3478.jpeg

Planted market more cucumbers and the chickens got in the garden and tore the mounds up. Put up more fencing and started Boston pickling cucumbers. Looks like the chickens didn’t get all the seeds from the first try. Got both varieties coming on now. Wife’s poor green beans aren’t doing so good, too hot now.

Why aren't my tomatoes turning red?

The plants look very good, nice color and size, no insect damage, plenty of green tomatoes in various sizes.
I picked one this morning that was pinkish in color, but one side was split and there was what looked like a worm hole.
I put it in the tad tank to see if they would eat it.
I figured it out - they weren't getting enough sun.
This morning I trimmed off a lot of the leaves that were shading the tomato clusters... and already I am seeing shades of pink on a tomato. 👍

Latest posts

Back