2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mad Professor. The squash bugs are a different critter than the striped/spotted cucumber beetles. Both are hard on most curcubits.
These are the critters I'm fighting with.:mad:
They eat the leaves, the flowers, and even the baby squash.

1726256679472.png

I just came in from knocking them into a cup of soapy water, and snipping the ones that tried to crawl away.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't gotten so hot and dry, which stressed the plants.
I'm getting close to just pulling them all up... but it's supposed to rain in the next few days, so I'll wait a little longer.

View attachment 1204538

I just came in from knocking them into a cup of soapy water, and snipping the ones that tried to crawl away.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't gotten so hot and dry, which stressed the plants.
I'm getting close to just pulling them all up... but it's supposed to rain in the next few days, so I'll wait a little longer.

That's a squash bug. You can cut down on the population by smashing the eggs on the underside of the leaves like in your image.

Here are a couple photos of the tallest Sunflower,my "better half",Sue,has ever grown. Zoom in on the tape measure picture,but I put it at 125" +/-. This was taken on 9/8. It is now in "full bloom". Pretty cool,we think!

Attachments

• 20240908_163710.jpg
    20240908_163710.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_163744.jpg
    20240908_163744.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Trying something new. I was able to get a big load of horse poop from a neighbor. Poop is about 2 years old, not fully composted, but It should work to fill my large pots. So yesterday after shoveling my pots full of the manure, I decided to plant a little garlic in the manure. Not sure how well that will work out, but I had two garlic bulbs I needed to do something with, the pots where ready, so what the heck. Normally, I would mix the manure with soil first, but I didnt have any decent soil available. What I plan on doing is dumping some good dirt on top and let the garlic grow thru it. I have had decent luck doing similar by planting in dirt and then top dressing with chickn poop, how well it will work planting in the horse poop and covering with dirt is a wait and see situation. I bought a few more garlic bulbs and one of those elephant garlic today. I'll plant them tomorrow. I would like to plant some carrots and other things, but there was 5 deer bedded down beside my pots last night. I need a cold snap to take care of those pesky deer.

Here are a couple photos of the tallest Sunflower,my "better half",Sue,has ever grown. Zoom in on the tape measure picture,but I put it at 125" +/-. This was taken on 9/8. It is now in "full bloom". Pretty cool,we think!
Amazing!! Sue definitely has two green thumbs... the rest of your garden is gorgeous too.
t15302.gif

Good to see you join in this thread.

Save some of those sunflower seeds!

Diatomaceous earth is great for killing insects that can hatch our of and eat stored seeds. Just put some DE in the seed storage container and roll it around ever now and then.

@Mad Professor. The squash bugs are a different critter than the striped/spotted cucumber beetles. Both are hard on most curcubits.

View attachment 1204538

I've got those but not as much as a problem/infestation as the cucumber beetles.

Those are doing great. I grow the giant variety too, hard to get full keeper heads as the birds are all over them.

Back