2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a pain in my butt!!!

the muffler was a pain for both my 1100 and 2100. after beadblasting them i used an oxy/acetelyne welding tip to heat the braze they used to hold it all together. i pulled out the tubes for the mounting bolts and then the baffle in pieces. it was tough and i ended up cracking the thin metal the muffler shell is made of. however when i brazed the mounting bolt tubes back in i used brazing rod to fill in the cracks easy enough. then i used a die grinder with a carbide bit to shape the opening for the outlet tube(tubes on the 2100) and brazed on the pipes. then i reblasted them to clean them up and painted them with a muffler black paint. i think they were worth it because these engines like to pump their air and both run well with them. last time i used my 1100(the tree the video on youtube is on) the exhaust was blowing bark off the log when i was bucked up on them. i haven't seen a muffler up close where it exhausts out the lower front of the shell so i dont know what they look like internally but these older mufflers i have were a pain in the baffle area.

Wow, thought there might be time in it. Was gonna see if you wanted to do one for me, but sound's like too much trouble. Thank's Grant, don't know if you saw, but sent you A REP for all the time you put in that saw. Bad ASS!!!!

Norm I posted a couple of quick vids on youtube of one of my 2101XP's they are not great but thought why not ! Have a look under TreeworkDK. Im going to have to learn how to get them to show here, Wyk tried to explain it today but Im a bit to thick !!
Some great looking saw's on this thread.

Dave k. Thank's man. I will look, and all the 1100-2100-01 breed in my opinion was great! I have learne'd to overlook cosmetic blemishe's, as I buy most my saw's use'd. Love to see youre's you have a pic you can post?

Here are Dave K's videos..........That saw's movin' some chips!!!:rock:

[video=youtube_share;8tsGnf8HovM]http://youtu.be/8tsGnf8HovM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;euT8kJ4bKhY]http://youtu.be/euT8kJ4bKhY[/video]

Last edited:
Thank you JD !! I learned one thing this evening you should always check the on/off switch before comitting something to film ! Duh, well it had been a long day ....

Saw a 2100 on C-list the other day 300 buck's with a 36in bar. Wish I had the money, and it didn't sell so fast. It was gone quick. Even in today's world of new saw's my 2101 is a go to saw, a primary saw, even when next to my 660. My only fear if I ever wear it out, hoping part's will still be available.

Rings or new aftermarket piston?

I have a 1984 2100 that has low compression, but the piston and cylinder both look good. Would it be better to put new rings on the factory piston, or put in an ebay aftermarket piston and rings? Anyone have experience here?
Thanks,
Brian

I think I would try a new set of ring's. Those cylinder's are among the best built, and if piston, and cylinder look good like you say I would run them in a heartbeat with new ring's. Oh good to be back in muscle land, the top shelf biggie's, that leave the mini porte'd saw's behind.

Guy's on this site are the only one's I trust online, the other place'd mentione'd be carefull thing's aren't alway's what they seem. I believe original ring's are still available. My saw shop has a really good supplie'r. Do you want me to check tommorow? Unless someone here chime's in with a set.

I'm excited to be the new owner of a good running 2101XP. I picked it up in a group of 5 saws for $200, meaning I actually only paid $40 for each:)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I2vW0GG9C4o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm excited to be the new owner of a good running 2101XP. I picked it up in a group of 5 saws for $200, meaning I actually only paid $40 for each:)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I2vW0GG9C4o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a fine looking saw. Will it see the usual treatment or maybe even become a keeper? I keep mine close to the bench so when someone drops off a Husky saw I tell them "here is your loaner saw while I fix yours", I never get any takers. I can't wait for the videos of it worked over and in a large oak trunk.

I have been talking alot recently, with a retire'd timber faller. He work's part time at the saw shop, who work's on our saw's. Found out he use'd to work for my buddy John Parmeter's family logging. The first conversation starte'd when he over heard me talking 2101 talk, with the owner of the saw shop. You could see a twinkle in his eye's, and he chime'd in. Said that saw was one of a kind, and not many built like them. He said he ran one for seventeen year's, and retired before the saw. The saw is still running.:clap:

Well I don't know about special, but there was always one or two on Ebay until this thread started. I've got two 2100 and one of them has the cylinder ported, but I had to put a new afermarket Ebay piston in it. It had the stock piston and it didn't look modified compared to another stock piston. Both of my saws still use the limiter in the carb however. The ported one never gets to the rpm it needs too. I'll have to plug the hole before I take them out again.
Interestingly enough the ported one is easier to pull. That may make some sense though as I have a 1985 CR500 thats a mother to start. Due to the compression its hard to kick it fast enough to get the mag to give it enough spark to light. In 1987 Honda gave some relief slotting to the ports to fix this issue. So If properly done when porting and if timing allows this might explain my ported 2100's easier pull situation. Sorry I haven't checked compression on either one. My gauge is bad and I keep forgetting to buy a new one.

of course they are special. Seems to cut just fine in stock form, but man you would have a hand full of wood eating monster with the proper work.

Latest posts

Back