2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread lit an old spark, breathe'd some new life into some old beast's! A saw from that Era that can run along side the best of today, very impressive:clap: Not sure about the porting Brad, you know alot more about that than me. The way I see it if something doesn't shorten saw life, or make it higher maintenace, but give's you better performance than I am game!

To bad, because of smog, my saw shop said they won't bring em back. Dependable, built to last, top shelf, the best,for the serious, and proffesional's only. Built to the hilt, torque, six cube's, here you go! Did I leave anything out??

The saw shop in Port Angeles did some carb work on my first 2100. I put on a set of 5 point dawgs that a guy in Forks was making. Other than that the saw was stock. This was in the late 70's, so what was done to carb has long since left the old brain. That saw along with a couple of 480's and most of my bars were stolen in 1984.

Sorry to hear about that Joe. Saw's are real sentimental to me. I guess you could replace em, but not alway's the same. I have heard of Portangeles many time's, never even seen what the town look's like. Nice place? Norm............

To bad, because of smog, my saw shop said they won't bring em back. Dependable, built to last, top shelf, the best,for the serious, and proffesional's only. Built to the hilt, torque, six cube's, here you go! Did I leave anything out??

192485d1312088650-101_0481-jpg

192486d1312088688-101_0412-jpg

I see yours doesn't have a chainbrake. Is that the original clutch cover?

Last edited:
Yes all original, but came without the brake. Got the saw from a good buddy, it dindn't have many hours, but had to have help from the saw shop, and guy's on here finding a air leak. It was a crank seal on the oiler side. Turn's out later in the years they upgraded the seal for that side. So the shop put in the revised seal. I had to get another wrap hanld, the original was broke on the bottom mount on one side. Some may say I put to much dollar wise in it. Got just under 500 in it, saw was 250. So with part's, and shop labor, but a mean machine. P&C are perfect. Alot of faller's here pull of brake handle's, and throttle lockout's. Norm.......... You still on vacation?

Yes all original, but came without the brake........... You still on vacation?

Hmmm, I was under the impression that all 2101XPs came with the chain brake. There are several good covers on eBay without a chain brake. I just want it to be "proper". I suppose I could just pick up one of those until one with a brake comes along for a decent price. Maybe the one we PMd about will work out as well.

We're headed north on I-65 now, north of Bowling Green. We spent the night just south of Nashville. We will be home about 5 PM.

Sorry to hear about that Joe. Saw's are real sentimental to me. I guess you could replace em, but not alway's the same. I have heard of Portangeles many time's, never even seen what the town look's like. Nice place? Norm............

Beautiful place Norm! On a clear day you have great view of Vancouver Island to the north and to south the Olympic Mtns. Hasn't really been a logging town for many years though. Same with Forks. Damn shame. Ditto the Grays harbor area. I believe Humptulips would agree.

Mine came with the handle new, but somebody pulle'd it off. I haven't seen many with the handle's on, most guy's seem to pull them Brad. The faller's around here all seem too anyway. I should know in the am about the new one. Joe that's awesome, sound's like a great place! Love to see it someday. The pic's I have seen on t.v, or magazine's Washington look's beautifull. Everyone probably saw that former saw rep is selling a nice 2100 in the classified's. Also in the sf, and bay area on Craigslist. A nice, clean, and complete runner for 500. I would offer him 400, and see what he say's. Some guy's probably would say 500 too much, but Saw design's change everyday, and the old well built saw's are dissapearing fast, and value goe's up. The guy's who don't want to spend will want someday, and wont find those model's readily available anymore. 044-046-066 272-288-1100-2100-01 etc.

Another night of mini saw's, and I know it get's aske'd every day, but what saw should I buy, or Husky vs Stihl. So back to muscle land, and two 2100, for sale wish I could buy both, and start two more muscle threads! They seperate the Pro's from the guy's who just started yesterday.:clap:

Another night of mini saw's, and I know it get's aske'd every day, but what saw should I buy, or Husky vs Stihl. So back to muscle land, and two 2100, for sale wish I could buy both, and start two more muscle threads! They seperate the Pro's from the guy's who just started yesterday.:clap:

LOL! The PMMs are tiresome.

Big inch chainsaws rule!!!

I might need some clarification putting this oiler and clutch back together. These old IPLs leave a little to be desired. Does a steel washer go in before the brass gear? I see mention of a v-ring, which I have, but I also see another seal or two in the IPL. Do I need anything besides the v-ring?

So what B & C should I put on this bad boy? I'm thinking a 36" roller nose with full comp .404. Let those huge chips fly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brad, the Clymer manual shows nothing but the factory workshop manual shows the seal then a large ring kind of spacer and then a steel washer before the brass gear. Sorry I don't have a scanner, that'd sure make it easier. If you need any parts after the gear you'll probably have to buy a new clutch drum setup. That how I found out about this. my 2100 melted a plastic washer and I had to go though the whole thing.
I haven't run .404 but I'd be inclined to stick with 3/8. Also you'll want to plug the limiter hole in the carb, if you haven't already. I still need to do mine, but at the low 8000 rpm they still have a ton of torque. Of course 10,500+ is much better, and is really needed my ported one.

Good stuff Randy LOL! Brad I wasn't there when they put it back together. Got a briefing after, about the crankseal upgrade. I was able to get a brand new clutch drum, rim, sprocket and bearing. Oregon still make's em. Sawfun9 good info. Mine doesn't have the governor in the carb, maybe they revised that too, because of the problem's There where a couple different carb's. All tilitson mine was the latest. Also his saw should be the thin ring like mine. 10,500rpm. Funny thought it would seem slow next to 113,00 on the 660, but it never did. You can bury them in log's side by side, and the 2101 torque make's up for the slight slower speed. Slower limbing but nothing about it feels slow, when you cut. Impressive saw's. I got lucky with my saw shop, a Stihl,Echo, and Husky dealer. They starte'd in the late 60's early 70's. Father, and son use'd to be exclusively husky, and so happen's the 1100-2100-01 where one of there specialtie's. I have learned alot from them.

Latest posts

Back