A legend on the porch: Super 797

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it to JJ to set things straight in terms we can all understand. He's in my honest opinion, the most knowledgeable pundit of all things chainsaw related ever to inhabit this wonderful site. There are others that are extremely knowledgeable in certain areas and about specific manufacturers idiosyncrasies. He can still take them all to task when they are incorrect and teach them a thing or two. My hat's off too anyone that has the ability to gather the experience to do so. Cheers JJ for so willingly sharing what you know!
J

And thank you, you said it way better than me.

Thanks all for the wonderful information. My question is, which of these saws was the most powerful out of the box? I don't know much about this port stuff, is it very important, or just a difference in style and not much substance as far as performance? Thanks again. JR

All things being equal, bars, chains, the wood and operator, the 797 would be faster, but not terrifically so. The motor has a bit more power spread through the powerband, with a strong upper range. I don't have much time on the CPs, maybe a weeks worth, what I do remember about the CP was being irritated by AV flex. I have lots of time running the SPs, not as much as the 797, if I had started out with the SP125, I might have been appalled by the noise, vibes and righthand start. As it was, the 797s came first with me, I don't care about noise and vibes, righthand starters seemed normal, so normal that sometimes toward the end of the day, I'd pick up a SP, stare at the driveside, wondering where the hell the starter went. The SPs AV had some of that annoying flex, not as bad as the CP, it did do it's job on the vibes.
I am happy to see the old beasts end up in caring hands, too many have rotted away, been scrapped or hidden away as trophys. Lately we have seen a bunch of big Homelites, McCullochs, Pioneers and such, these were the chainsaws that accounted for the biggest part of North American old growth timber harvests. The foreign makes almost missed out entirely.
My hat's off to you-all, keep finding them and sharing them with us.

WOW!
That was a immense amount of info for the Mac!

Good reading!!!!:cheers: guys!!

there will be a closed-book test tonight!!!

thanks JJ......as others have said, your knowledge is immense, your willingness to share is boundless, and your brevity and clarity should be a model for all politicians!!!!!

Great info JJ...Now to just try to reason ou thow it fits. I am knowledgeable on 4 strokes, cams, and making a hot small block chevy but I am new to the 2 stroke world.

Now where the heck is the cam! :hmm3grin2orange:

Great info Jacob. Thanks for sharing.

From what i have seen on the 797's i have had apart
as well as IPL's. The regular 797 had the thin rings
and the super 797 had the thick rings. All of the 797's
i have had in pieces have had the welded weights on
the crank, Not the bolt on weights. I don't know what
the 125's have as i haven't had the joy of digging into
one of them yet. The CP 125 had a very similar Decomp
as the 797 with a different lever type system. The SP125
was the only one with the push in Decomp from what i
have seen.

Lee

Tried to hit jj with some rep, but I gotta spread it around first. I'd appreciate if someone would hit him for me. JR

One more rookie question.

What's the safe range on revs for this thing? I can tune it well enough, but I don't want to push it too hard, this thing's gotta last long enough for my 4 year old boy to smile when he tries it.

One more rookie question.

What's the safe range on revs for this thing? I can tune it well enough, but I don't want to push it too hard, this thing's gotta last long enough for my 4 year old boy to smile when he tries it.

From what I have found out tuning my SP125, with the new adjustable sdc that I put on, is that you want the saw to 4-stroke until a good portion of the bar is in the wood. If you set it to just barely 4-stroking at wot then those big engines will be starving for fuel by the time a 3 foot bar is out of site in a log. The best way to tune them is in the wood. Once I put on the adjustable carb, I fattened the high side quite a bit and gained a tremendous amount of power over the fixed jet carb. When under load an engine that big with a long bar demands a lot of fuel. Bottom line, leaning it out to achieve maximum wot rpms doesn't always equal the most power and faster cutting speed.

Good point Stinkbait, I have to treat this a lot different than my firewood screamers.

OMG!:jawdrop:

Hoss's description of these things as being "just power all over" is right on the money!!! Wow!

It pulls you into the cut hard like my 1-82 does, but it all happens a LOT FASTER! A little intimidating, I must admit.

The feeling of the vibes (there is a lot of them) and that sound... Boy I could listen to that forever. This thing is in a class by itself and I haven't even really monkeyed with tuning it, yet. Just enough checking to be sure it was safe to push it some. For all that performance though, this one is surprisingly docile to operate. The 36" bar handles well and it is pretty easy to start it and run. No shenanigans.

Sorry about the size of the round, I got so intoxicated by this thing I completely torched the bigger one before I remembered the camera sitting there!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLvbfLlunXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLvbfLlunXo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

She sounds great,
It just needs more wood.
Sink in a good piece of 36 inch
wood And you will be in heaven.

I might have to go start one of mine.:cheers:

Lee

Back