Anyone have experience with the Stihl Yard Boss mini tiller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a pro-grade Stihl engine, and the Echo is. My limited (1) experience with Stihl's homeowner engines is that they aren't very good.

I would take a pro-grade Echo above a homeowner Stihl any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And so would professional landscapers.

Limited :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: experience

the tines are cheap.

Gee...sawitall seems to have gone away...but you're here, Mow...

Okay, I guess I'll adress this to the "Mow" Mow...

If Mantis tines are cheap, how come they're guaranteed for life?

Cause you know, Stihl's aren't...

Gee...sawitall seems to have gone away...but you're here, Mow...

Okay, I guess I'll adress this to the "Mow" Mow...

If Mantis tines are cheap, how come they're guaranteed for life?

Cause you know, Stihl's aren't...

Woodie, go to an Echo/Stihl dealer and try to bend the tines. If you can't bend the tines with one hand on the Mantis then I guess you are a little girl.
Let me know, okay Louise.

You guys are a hoot.

I have a Stihl mini-tiller, and it works. I have nothing bad to say about the Mantis, except that two local dealers carry them, keep one in stock, but were both more enthusiastic about Stihl and Honda.

Besides, the original poster was asking if a mini-tiller would double as an aerator. I doubt if that's the same as picking a fight.

there not unbreakable tines either, thats just a lie i saw one with a broken tine at the home depot tool rental. The whole unit is like any other consumer product built for the homeowner. Some one should just end mantis' 20 year history

WHISKEY
TANGO
FOXTROT

OVER

yeah just because they say that the echo has a 21.2 commercial grade motor doesn't mean it is commerical. That home owner stihl will out run that echo any way. As for the stihl tines not being guaranteed for life.Thats because the cost of replacement tines for the mantis are already built into the price on the initial purchase. Ok i'll end it for mr. Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

this whole thread is opinionated. did you have to use the word TANGO

Last edited:
yeah just because they say that the echo has a 21.2 commercial grade motor doesn't mean it is commerical. That home owner stihl will out run that echo any way. As for the stihl tines not being guaranteed for life.Thats because the cost of replacement tines for the mantis are already built into the price on the initial purchase

+1

As for the stihl tines not being guaranteed for life.Thats because the cost of replacement tines for the mantis are already built into the price on the initial purchase

You're right. They're built into the price. And since they are unbreakable in the hardest use, they add approximately zero dollars to the price.

Good point.

I inherited my MIL's Mantis several years ago, tough lil' critters. Mine's spent 100's of hours bungie-tied to the dock on my catfish pond in the hot August sun aerating the water. I've even chewed up a few rotten stumps with it that were too close to buildings to burn. Very frustrating if actually tilling with it, any decent clump of weeds will helplessly clog the tines.

You guys are a hoot.

I have a Stihl mini-tiller, and it works. I have nothing bad to say about the Mantis, except that two local dealers carry them, keep one in stock, but were both more enthusiastic about Stihl and Honda.

Dealer mark-ups are probably much higher. Dealers usually get a higher mark-up on the cheaper brands. Ask a woodworking supply company how much mark-up they get on 3M products compared to their imitators.

You're right. They're built into the price. And since they are unbreakable in the hardest use, they add approximately zero dollars to the price.

Good point.

I have never seen one break Woodie, but I can bend them with one hand. The whole unit is cheaply made and marketed good. They were the first and still have many repeat customers. All I have done on here is point out why the Stihl is built better.

Because the Mantis won't last long enough to wear them out?

Mine's about 26 years old...tines arent worn out...Tiller still purrs.

fwiw, I worked on a Troy Bilt HORSE that was a good 35 years old and the original owner used it 2 times a year to prep a 200X100 garden, and the tines were about halfway to needing replacement...

I seriously doubt anyone could literally WEAR OUT a set of Mantis tines...I hit rocks, roots with mine, enough to stop the tines cold...and they dont bend or break.

Mine's about 26 years old...tines arent worn out...Tiller still purrs.

fwiw, I worked on a Troy Bilt HORSE that was a good 35 years old and the original owner used it 2 times a year to prep a 200X100 garden, and the tines were about halfway to needing replacement...

I seriously doubt anyone could literally WEAR OUT a set of Mantis tines...I hit rocks, roots with mine, enough to stop the tines cold...and they dont bend or break.

My dad has a Troybilt that's 28 years old and he roto's 1/4 acre every spring, rows during the season, and everything in the fall. All he's done is replaced the axle seals. So what's your point?

I have a Homelite trimmer that's 12 years old and runs fine. Cuz I use my Stihl 110 all the time.

I just went out and looked at the Mantis I use very infrequently.

1 tine broken off, about 15-20 bent. I can flex the tines a little by hand, but I can't actually bend the tines back and forth.

I don't like how the unit itself balances and to me that style of tiller feels clumsy. I prefer the type of tillers where you have wheels in the front and tines in the rear.

I don't use it much anymore because I just cheat and use the backhoe if I need to take out some sod or whatever.

Latest posts

Back