Austree willow hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowawoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was over at the neighbors today cutting up some logs and there was a row of trees right next to the pile. He said they were austrees. I've never heard of them before and was curious if they were good firewood. I forgot to take a picture but I found one on google. 03-Austree.jpg
I'll have to get a picture of the rounds I cut up tomorrow. Has anyone ever worked with them? I'll most likely be using it for campfire wood so if it's not the best it'll be fine.

@Iowawoodguy don't wast your time with them things, they are super wet trees, I have cut a couple where we had to run a field tile close by and thought heck I'll make firewood out of them, forget that, two years later they were like a damp sponge, all squishy and punky but still wet. Those things are a scurge on field tile and any drain system, I have seen the roots 300 plus feet away from the tree get into a tile and plug it.

@Iowawoodguy don't wast your time with them things, they are super wet trees, I have cut a couple where we had to run a field tile close by and thought heck I'll make firewood out of them, forget that, two years later they were like a damp sponge, all squishy and punky but still wet. Those things are a scurge on field tile and any drain system, I have seen the roots 300 plus feet away from the tree get into a tile and plug it.
Thanks. I'm hoping that's not what I cut from his pile. It all had been dead and down for what looked like at least a year and is still pretty wet wood(and somewhat rotted). Either way, I had a guy call me and tell me he has 25 ton of firewood that he'll sell me a dump truck load of hardwood for $60.

Back