Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A person can have an engineering degree and still not know which end of a screwdriver to hold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
Well, I have not run into anyone like that. Even so, ignorance is not the same as stupidity. What you say may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is close to the truth for some engineers born and raised in India. Most come from an upper caste (which supposedly does not exist anymore, but old traditions die hard). In the upper castes, manual labor is considered demeaning, so they may not be too good at practical things such as using various tools. Fortunately, the Indian engineers I have worked with in the US have adapted pretty well to our culture, including the use of tools.
Incidentally, in some chemical processing facilities that are union shop, non-union personnel are prohibited by union contract from even carrying a tool. So the engineers cannot work on any equipment in such places. Dumb! On the other hand, I have been inside processing tanks in China where I had to climb down a polished stainless steel ladder that was wet with no descent-arresting harness and cable. Different safety standards from here! But I would refuse to do it again.

Whatever is cheap when I need to buy oil. It's an old IDI Toyota 1KZ diesel from the '90's, manual says CF oil. Any modern diesel oil will be fine, and due to soot loading, frequent oil changes will be more important than exact spec..............so whatever is cheap.
https://dieselnet.com/tech/lube_classifications.php#jp

The specs say 10w40 but I think the last poster saying 5 or 10w40 is right. We run Delo in our trucks and a large number are over 1,000,000 and running fine but any of the major oils that meet the specs ( Shell, Chevron, Valvoline, Schaeffer etc) will do as we switched to Delo from Rotella only because of price. Quality filters are also very important, we use Luberfiner but again, any of the major brands would be fine I think. One of my friends swears by Rotella and his 3 trucks all have over 3,000,000 on them. Maintenance is the key as pointed out. If it were mine I'd also run a fuel additive like Howes.

The specs say 10w40 but I think the last poster saying 5 or 10w40 is right. We run Delo in our trucks and a large number are over 1,000,000 and running fine but any of the major oils that meet the specs ( Shell, Chevron, Valvoline, Schaeffer etc) will do as we switched to Delo from Rotella only because of price. Quality filters are also very important, we use Luberfiner but again, any of the major brands would be fine I think. One of my friends swears by Rotella and his 3 trucks all have over 3,000,000 on them. Maintenance is the key as pointed out. If it were mine I'd also run a fuel additive like Howes.
It's real hard to find a 10w40 oil anymore, specifically that meets requirements for even semi modern diesel engines. Even in gas land 10w40 has been phased out ages ago. Like tou say good oil and maintenance is key for long running engines /equipment

Well, I have not run into anyone like that. Even so, ignorance is not the same as stupidity. What you say may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is close to the truth for some engineers born and raised in India. Most come from an upper caste (which supposedly does not exist anymore, but old traditions die hard). In the upper castes, manual labor is considered demeaning, so they may not be too good at practical things such as using various tools. Fortunately, the Indian engineers I have worked with in the US have adapted pretty well to our culture, including the use of tools.
Incidentally, in some chemical processing facilities that are union shop, non-union personnel are prohibited by union contract from even carrying a tool. So the engineers cannot work on any equipment in such places. Dumb! On the other hand, I have been inside processing tanks in China where I had to climb down a polished stainless steel ladder that was wet with no descent-arresting harness and cable. Different safety standards from here! But I would refuse to do it again.
There are lots of stupid engineers out there, I'd hazard to say in every field too. Book smart with zero common sense. One of my favorites was a small dry batch concrete plant. The clamshell gates were pneumatically operated. 8" cylinders used. 1/4" lines everywhere. They opened and closed so slow it would throw the batch mix way off. The "engineer" couldn't understand the issue, on paper it all worked out just fine. Ended up running 1/2" piping and lines (what should have been installed in the first place.) Idiot didn't understand anything about flow. Another example, we did miles of storm drain work before reclamation of a road. Not a single grade was right, elevations were all wrong, grate placements were wrong (feet off, not inches.) Final straw came when we had listed for a 20 foot box to be placed at a major elevation change (hill) with 4 pipe tie ins. The 48" pipe that was supposed to drain the system was listed at 15 feet with the remaining 3 pipes hitting below it. Take a real genius to screw something up that bad and still swear his prints were accurate. That firm got fired shortly there after. Deal with it nearly daily at my current job. Get parts sent that should fit and function on paper and go back and forth with the engineers/designers what's wrong with the part, why it doesn't fit or function why maintenance will be a nightmare. No common sense, never worked on what they are making no clue how it works outside of prints and books. Just not how real life works.

It's real hard to find a 10w40 oil anymore, specifically that meets requirements for even semi modern diesel engines. Even in gas land 10w40 has been phased out ages ago. Like tou say good oil and maintenance is key for long running engines /equipment

I cheated. Rather than guessing, I downloaded the manual. Lots of oil options will be fine for my temperature range. 5w-40 will be great year round, but I might use 15w-40 in the summer for cost savings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608-165912.png
    Screenshot_20240608-165912.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 0

My opinion is Howes is for freeze protection only... I use a catalyst from Pittsburgh Power for diesel performance.. ie: better , cleaner, combustion , cleaner turbo, cleaner egr system, less soot.. They named it Max Mileage.. I've heard it is related to ferocene although I'm no chemist.. Worst part is the price.. My Detroit has some seriously long drain intervals with a cleaner system.. and an oil bypass filtration system... I don't change oil on a random number of miles,,, I get the lab results before I $$it can it.. Some additives show up in the analysis, others not so much.. Always thought of sending my two stroke oil to the lab instead of trusting what is the latest marketing shpeel or the price.. Only way I can tell is how my favorite saw runs...

I have met and worked with more than a few, who had degrees and fancy letters after their name but no common sense whatsoever. Just remember the old saying "those that can do, those that cant teach, those that cant teach, teach teachers"
Me i'm just a simple man 😵‍💫

My opinion is Howes is for freeze protection only... I use a catalyst from Pittsburgh Power for diesel performance.. ie: better , cleaner, combustion , cleaner turbo, cleaner egr system, less soot.. They named it Max Mileage.. I've heard it is related to ferocene although I'm no chemist.. Worst part is the price.. My Detroit has some seriously long drain intervals with a cleaner system.. and an oil bypass filtration system... I don't change oil on a random number of miles,,, I get the lab results before I $$it can it.. Some additives show up in the analysis, others not so much.. Always thought of sending my two stroke oil to the lab instead of trusting what is the latest marketing shpeel or the price.. Only way I can tell is how my favorite saw runs...
Warning! Thread Drift!
Do you send the oil in every 10,000 or wait till later? Did you send it in without using an additive then with to compare? I'm just curious. They upped the change intervals on our Cummins but don't send it in for analysis. Newer oil and the secondary oil filter seems to be the trick I guess. I used Howes as an example, though. Lot's of them out there like Howes, Power Service etc I think that would work ok and I think it is like this 2 stroke oil discussion where everyone has their favorite for whatever reason. Do you really need them outside of winter for gelling? I don't think so if your fueling at a branded station but it sure doesn't hurt.
As for the saw, IDK. Lot's of good arguments here for using specific brands but I've never really noticed myself although I'm not a professional running a saw all day every day.

There are lots of stupid engineers out there, I'd hazard to say in every field too. Book smart with zero common sense. One of my favorites was a small dry batch concrete plant. The clamshell gates were pneumatically operated. 8" cylinders used. 1/4" lines everywhere. They opened and closed so slow it would throw the batch mix way off. The "engineer" couldn't understand the issue, on paper it all worked out just fine. Ended up running 1/2" piping and lines (what should have been installed in the first place.) Idiot didn't understand anything about flow. Another example, we did miles of storm drain work before reclamation of a road. Not a single grade was right, elevations were all wrong, grate placements were wrong (feet off, not inches.) Final straw came when we had listed for a 20 foot box to be placed at a major elevation change (hill) with 4 pipe tie ins. The 48" pipe that was supposed to drain the system was listed at 15 feet with the remaining 3 pipes hitting below it. Take a real genius to screw something up that bad and still swear his prints were accurate. That firm got fired shortly there after. Deal with it nearly daily at my current job. Get parts sent that should fit and function on paper and go back and forth with the engineers/designers what's wrong with the part, why it doesn't fit or function why maintenance will be a nightmare. No common sense, never worked on what they are making no clue how it works outside of prints and books. Just not how real life works.
Probably wasn't stupid, just incompetent. I have met a few of those.

True. But the point I am making is that someone can be smart and yet be incompetent. But no way can a stupid person get through engineering school.
Class it how you may, stupid is stupid and a degree means nothing if you can't apply it to the real world, ie stupid.

Class it how you may, stupid is stupid and a degree means nothing if you can't apply it to the real world, ie stupid.
You are using a different definition of stupid than. I am using the term to mean lacking in intelligence. You seem to be using to mean lacking in practical skill. In any case, like much that has been posted on this thread, it has little to do with figuring out the best 2-cycle oil! :)

Re: post # 359
So bwalker - you seriously told Hermio "the world and this board will luck out if you get hit by a truck this weekend"
You really said that because he didn't agree with you?

Someone has some major league mental health issues.
Based on his lack of responses for two days, I suspect he has been banned for that one.

Looks like he is banned, I don't see him come up in a member search.
Guys like him are why I use a pseudonym. One never knows what a mentally imbalanced person will do. If I were his employer and I found out about his posts, I would fire him as being a potential danger in the workplace.

Latest posts

Back