Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Echo Red Armour is fine to a certain extent, but it is not as good as Amsoil Saber Pro. I have been running Amsoil Saber Pro, 1st at 50 to 1, and now at 42.6 to 1, basically 3 ounces of 2 stroke oil to 1 gallon of fuel. I have been doing this since 1998.

Echo Red Armour, if you do not run this oil at full throttle all of the time, you will get deposits, let's be realistic, you are not going to run your chainsaw or trimmer at full throttle all of the time. Where are the deposits going to be, in the exhaust port. Why am I mentioning this, well, I wanted to use the Echo Red Armour and I was made aware of this issue by someone who used this 2-stroke oil. I have an Echo SRM- 2601 trimmer that I have been using since 1998 and the exhaust port has never needed to be cleaned up, and I have taken the muffler off, back in 2022 and there was barely any carbon in the exhaust port.

Why does the Amsoil Saber Pro work, because you can idle your 2-stroke equipment and not build up deposits. Maybe I do not idle my stuff long like the 1 member here who had an issue with the Red Armour.

Anyone reading this, do not use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1 in a Chainsaw, I do not care what Amsoil says, I would rather use Echo Red Armour at 50 to 1 than to use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1

Are there better 2 stroke Oils out there, yes, but you will be spending more Money.

1) Maxima K2
2) Bel Ray HR-1

42.6 to 1 or 40 to 1 is the way to go with any 2-stroke oil you are using.

Welcome aboard.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone having trouble with RA. First post, and hearsay from them at that. Ain't buying it. Too many people with exactly the opposite experience, including me.

Welcome aboard.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone having trouble with RA. First post, and hearsay from them at that. Ain't buying it. Too many people with exactly the opposite experience, including me.
What supposedly makes the H1R so good? I got some of that laying around.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the welcome, and I hear what you are saying, now I realize what I read was from another Forum. We all have opinions on 2 stroke Oil and at the end of the day we use whatever 2 stroke oil we use.

For one, it burns the living hell out of my eyes, IDK if it's the Lead or something else in it.
I've run 100LL before in a chainsaw and a lawnmower, didn't notice that. Smelled funny but that was all. Wouldn't do it now.

Back when premix and non-ethanol fuel didn't exist, I stored a generator on it. That generator HAD to start when I needed it to go, and avgas helped.

I've run 100LL before in a chainsaw and a lawnmower, didn't notice that. Smelled funny but that was all. Wouldn't do it now.

Back when premix and non-ethanol fuel didn't exist, I stored a generator on it. That generator HAD to start when I needed it to go, and avgas helped.
I love the smell of avgas to be honest..
When I owned my fishing lodge a few times a year DeHavilland Beaver or Otter float planes would pull up to our dock. When they pulled away the smell of avgas and AeroShell oil was divine. I was foolish for getting anywhere near the exhaust, which btw was always coated in white lead oxide.

The Echo Red Armour is fine to a certain extent, but it is not as good as Amsoil Saber Pro. I have been running Amsoil Saber Pro, 1st at 50 to 1, and now at 42.6 to 1, basically 3 ounces of 2 stroke oil to 1 gallon of fuel. I have been doing this since 1998.

Echo Red Armour, if you do not run this oil at full throttle all of the time, you will get deposits, let's be realistic, you are not going to run your chainsaw or trimmer at full throttle all of the time. Where are the deposits going to be, in the exhaust port. Why am I mentioning this, well, I wanted to use the Echo Red Armour and I was made aware of this issue by someone who used this 2-stroke oil. I have an Echo SRM- 2601 trimmer that I have been using since 1998 and the exhaust port has never needed to be cleaned up, and I have taken the muffler off, back in 2022 and there was barely any carbon in the exhaust port.

Why does the Amsoil Saber Pro work, because you can idle your 2-stroke equipment and not build up deposits. Maybe I do not idle my stuff long like the 1 member here who had an issue with the Red Armour.

Anyone reading this, do not use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1 in a Chainsaw, I do not care what Amsoil says, I would rather use Echo Red Armour at 50 to 1 than to use Amsoil Saber Pro at 100 to 1

Are there better 2 stroke Oils out there, yes, but you will be spending more Money.

1) Maxima K2
2) Bel Ray HR-1

42.6 to 1 or 40 to 1 is the way to go with any 2-stroke oil you are using.
Well, I disagree with your assessment. I have found Red Armor to be cleaner than Saber when both are ran at 50:1. If You believe Saber to be clean you don't know what clean is and this just isn't my opinion. More than a few other guys have noted the same thing with Saber when ran at normal ratios.
Today I did some maintenance on my sons lawn care equipment and actually pulled the muffler and plug to inspect his Redmax trimmer. Looked great. Attached is a picture of the plug and piston. I could not get a good picture of the piston crown but it is text book perfect.
This trimmer has been run exclusively on RA at 50:1 and has a year and two partial years of hard daily commercial use on it.
I keep it tuned sharp via the specs listed in Redmax's emmissions service bulletins.
I also have a Redmax Kombi that's used mostly to edge and a BP blower that actually look better as they see easier use.
To get any oil to run clean you must have the ability and the knowledge to tune sharply and re tune as the season progresses due to temperature changes.
If I were to run a Amsoil product it would be Dominator.
There is nothing wrong with K2, but for power equipment use I dont believe it to be any better than Red Armor. H1R is a terrible oil in bikes and certainly worse than any of the oils mentioned in a chainsaw or a trimmer.
In regards to your comments on ratios. For year I ran everything at 32:1 with zero issues. With Red Armor you don't need to run it at anything more than 50:1 unless your doing something like milling as it's residual oil at 50:1 rivals many other oils that are ran at 32:1. It's really good stuff
20240603_135219.jpg20240603_134534.jpg

Thank you for the welcome, and I hear what you are saying, now I realize what I read was from another Forum. We all have opinions on 2 stroke Oil and at the end of the day we use whatever 2 stroke oil we use.
The problem is most guys opinions are garbage. Most can't tune a two cycle motor to save their lives and this is paramount when assessing the performance of an oil. They also fail to realise how you run the equipment screws results one way or the other as well.

Welcome aboard.

I was initially very skeptical of RA. Not that I didn't think it was decent oil as Echo has always marketed decent oil, but that it was so great performance wise.
I was mistaken. It is that good.

This old School mechanic from the shop where I used to go told me that MC1 the original, would cause lower rod bearing failures from lack of lubrication.
Back in the day the suggestion was to run MC1 out higher oil to fuel ratios. Given this I have no doubt rod bearing problems where had by some.
When you have big end rod bearing and crank bearing issue it's almost always caused by a lack of oil and isn't an oil quality/type issue.

Run belray since back in late 70s. Run it in dirt bikes and chainsaws never had any issues with it. As far as leaded fuel that’s all was available back then except for amoco they had unleaded I think.

Latest posts

Back