Best 50cc saw in the world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older 026, a 5100 and now a 346NE (all stock).

The 026 has been a good saw for maybe the last 14 yrs or so, but is a little more tired than it was.

The 5100 is much smoother and stronger than the 026, but I have never warmed up to the feel of it esp the slow return to idle. AV good, but the saw always felt a bit clubby. (Now the 7900 I love.)

I am really liking the 346, which is waking up a little each tank. Nimble and well balance with explosive response.

If I was pulling an 18 inch bar buried all day the 5100 is probably the stronger of the two (I would rather use a bigger saw anyway for that). But for up close trimming and small bar work -- say up to 12 inches diameter -- the 346 is by far my favorite now of the three. It's a nice refined little package and the eager power makes me grin. (I think the silver side cover looks stupid, though.)

I generally don't run anything smaller than my 7900s, but I look for excuses to run the 346 - a little shredder with a 16 inch bar and 3/8 square. AIr filter seems to stay very clean, and it cuts a lot of wood on a tank while smoking and smelling less than any other saw I own even for it's size. I didn't think I'd use the compression release, but it makes starting it absolutely effortless so I find myself using it. It is a bit louder than the other two saws of it's size,but since it's so small it's not an issue. (My redmax 3200 (32cc) sounds a little like a weedwacker when I run them back to back.)

I even bought a carving bar and run 1/4 pitch chain on it partly to find more excuses to run it. Never did that with my 026 or 5100.

I bought it out of curiousity and because the dealer gave me a good deal, and now I am really glad I did.

:rock: Nice honest opinion, no BS

Everything B Turner said is spot on. The 260 is a light well built saw, but it is dated. I never warmed up to the 5100 for the exact same reasons Turner listed. The 346 is light, powerful and well built.

The best 50cc saw on the market, is the 346xp.:rock:

Andyshine

:agree2: ...no doubt about that!

I like the 5100S as well, it is just that it feels more like the MS361 for handling, but not for power......

It is no coinsidence that the 346 and 361 is highlighted in red in my sig, they are the perfect combo in my (relatively small) wood. :clap::clap:

The others are there for more or less special reasons, but I could well have managed with just the 5100SH that some AS members "spoke" Witchy into (I was curious as well) - lots of fun here back then......:biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
my 026 mag II

attachment.php

this thing plows down 60cc saws

I'll get back to you on this, but I have a suspicion of what it will be.

I am really liking the 346, which is waking up a little each tank. Nimble and well balance with explosive response. ....

That is the NE346xp in a "nutshell" - nimble and "explosive".....:clap::clap:

It is not the best-looking saw out there, but that is easy to forgive!

Last edited:
Iam thinkin dolmar 5100 i can buy it now for $380 what do you guy's think

Thats the million dollar weekly question around here hehehe!

I cant say anything about The Dolmar dont know anything what so ever but I do know wouldnt trade my NE346 for 10 of them (maybe to resell but I would buy another 346) fwtw and not saying anything bad about the 5100 the 346 cost a little bit more money is what I do know.

Kansas

Thats the million dollar weekly question around here hehehe!

I cant say anything about The Dolmar dont know anything what so ever but I do know wouldnt trade my NE346 for 10 of them (maybe to resell but I would buy another 346) fwtw and not saying anything bad about the 5100 the 346 cost a little bit more money is what I do know.

Kansas

The 346xp is well worth the price difference, unless you are just bucking delivered logs in the yard. :)

The 346xp is well worth the price difference, unless you are just bucking delivered logs in the yard. :)

Agreed some of the best money I ever spent about equal in value to my beloved 372.

I use the 346 anymore to fell and the 372 to buck hows that for using your back haha!

Kansas

sounds like the 346 is the best 50cc in the world

how much $$$$$$ are they and whats the difference in the models ne an xp thanks ..... No mo stihl

346XP - Wow!

I just ran my Slingerized 346XP and that thing is a light saber. No other word(s) describes it better.

Thanks Jasha,

ole joat

I just ran my Slingerized 346XP and that thing is a light saber. No other word(s) describes it better.

Thanks Jasha,

ole joat
Jasha tunes a nice saw love m 372xpw he did for me. Ive ran the 346xp but I'm actually looking to add a second ms 260 to the family for my little saw may have to send it to Jasha tho for a warm over:greenchainsaw:

how much $$$$$$ are they and whats the difference in the models ne an xp thanks ..... No mo stihl

XP is the Husky pro line. There may be a W or a G following that meaning either full wrap or heated handles. hth

Kansas

XP is the Husky pro line. There may be a W or a G following that meaning either full wrap or heated handles. hth

Kansas

If the 346 is put together like the 357 and 359 I just built, I wouldn't spend the money. As far a build quality goes I think the Dolmars are superior. There isn't a manufactured saw out there that I wouldn't tear down first and loctite everything, especially retaining compound in the main bearing races. I found that the newer 357/359 husky's even use coarse threaded self tappers as case bolts!?! WTF

If the 346 is put together like the 357 and 359 I just built, I wouldn't spend the money. As far a build quality goes I think the Dolmars are superior. There isn't a manufactured saw out there that I wouldn't tear down first and loctite everything, especially retaining compound in the main bearing races. I found that the newer 357/359 husky's even use coarse threaded self tappers as case bolts!?! WTF

Well I dont why you are asking me all this but my answer is like this: I have never even seen a Dolmar however I have run Husky Pro saws since 2001 and have never once had anything come loose or had to do anything repair wise to any of them and no bolts have ever come loose etc so I have no reason to question or know the bolt pitch or type.

Fact is I expect my 346 to continue that trend no matter what the thread pitch is on the fasteners. I am quite sure Husqvarna knows more about what it takes to keep a saw together than you or me I trust their judgement.

I personally wouldnt tear a new saw down for any reason but everybody has different ideas to each his own! I hear the main bearing races are a problem on some Dolmars so thats probly a good thing you do that to yours whatever it takes to get some use out of it. :clap:

Kansas

Well I dont why you are asking me all this but my answer is like this: I have never even seen a Dolmar however I have run Husky Pro saws since 2001 and have never once had anything come loose or had to do anything repair wise to any of them and no bolts have ever come loose etc so I have no reason to question or know the bolt pitch or type.

Fact is I expect my 346 to continue that trend no matter what the thread pitch is on the fasteners. I am quite sure Husqvarna knows more about what it takes to keep a saw together than you or me I trust their judgement.

I personally wouldnt tear a new saw down for any reason but everybody has different ideas to each his own! I hear the main bearing races are a problem on some Dolmars so thats probly a good thing you do that to yours whatever it takes to get some use out of it. :clap:

Kansas
I've seen more spun bearings on husky's than dolmar and stihl combined. Even husky's new x torq motors are a chinese/japanese design. I have a feeling the coarse threaded bolts came from husky being in bed with poulan/zenoah. I think husky is going the same route as stihl on their lower end saws. To take a 455 rancher apart is similar to disassembling a poulan/crapsman. Husky has a good name so does stihl, don't buy their products blindly based on brand loyalty. I like the 346 and the 357/359 But based on build quality alone I wouldn't cough up the money for a new one.

Back