Building a SP125C / 101B Kart Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep running it up! The sooner the better. I'll sell the lot and be tractor pulling in the spring :hmm3grin2orange:.

I decided to scan a great article from the old Karting World magazine on porting of the Mac kart blocks. This is kind of a long-winded article but has some great, great info on porting these blocks. I highly recommend anyone who intends on modifying one of these to read this.

View attachment 207559View attachment 207560

You are missing the middle two pages. Actually they are probably here on one of these posts somewhere.

Jim Butler is the grandfather of Mac engine building and was probably the most knowledgeable kart engine enthusiast ever.

That $100 price tag is appealing, but adjusted for inflation equals $720 in 2010 dollars. I too am drooling over all these kart engine builds. I know how my SP105 runs, I can only imagine how a SP125 or 101 equipped saw would feel. Yee Ha!

Lee won't need a piston with this one Brad.......just move compression release, add parts and paint!.......Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!

002-4.jpg

Is that where the decom normaly is, havn't seen one up there.
Then again i no nothing about kart engines.

Just seems to me, that if you want to run dual carbs, you'd want a V8, V12, or V16.

Yeah, you need the reed area of at least 8 standard Mac reeds to take advantage of the flow characteristics that dual HL carbs can provide. Jim Butler did an article (which I'll try to find) where he flow-tested the common 4-6, 8, 12, and 16 reed manifolds and found that only 8 and above provided the CFM necessary to take advantage of twin HL-187a carbs. The 187a was an early HL performance carb which could be tuned to run either gas or methanol and it's a lower performance carburetor than the current 300-series carbs available today.

Real good stuff JJ,thanks.

There's a reason I didn't embed those pictures. They're quite large and some of the people interested in this thread are still on dial-up.

Anyone ever seen a dual carb setup on a V4 sloper?

1117112100a-M.jpg

1117112059a-M.jpg

Here's a portion of my manifolds......but looks like the slopers are straight, one dual and one single. I like the V-12 reed with the a big single burris mikuni or the twin tillitsons. The twin set-up can be alittle harder to tune. These are 4-sale.....with Leeha and RiverRat getting first choice......Don't even ask Brad!.......Hahahahahahaha!

001-5.jpg

Last edited:
Back