Buying a new saw... what to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here.

Well, after about 3 decades of faithful service to me and my father before me, I have to retire his Pioneer Holiday Chainsaw. What a great little saw it was too. I still have a larger Pioneer, still in good running order, but she's a beast with a 22 inch bar.

I'm looking to buy a smaller saw, and from what friends tell me, their choice would be Husqvarna or Stihl. Also considering my choice of dealers, they are the most common.

The saw I need will have an 18 inch bar. The models I am considering are (prices in parenthesis, CDN dollars)

Husqvarna 351 (priced at $499.90)
Husqvarna 55 Rancher (priced at $539.90)

Stihl 290 ($494)
Stihl 340 ($654.95)

Also Stihl has a promotion on, they're throwing in a case, hat and spare chain.

I really don't need the case, and would be happy with a scabbard. I checked with the Husqvarna dealer, and he said he'd give me the scabbard and spare chain for about $20, so that would bring the price of their saws to $519.90 or $559.90

I'd like to get some opinions from the members of this forum on these saws.

Thanks!

Stihl 340

Yup... Stihl MS 340, is under professional saws at their website, 56.5cc.

Welcome Sting!The Brands you mentioned are the top two_Opinions here will vary, however, the one you listed will pull an 18" bar fine.I like the Husky"s over the ms290.But, your local dealers attitude would also be a factor.Have you looked at the Efco/John Deere cs56? I think it is a good saw and the price should be attractive,if you have a dealer near by.The hunt is more fun than the kill! Good Luck!

that seems a bit high for 290 stihl.
ill look again if i get the chance,but i seem to remember 300. also the 55 husky at 299.

was me, and i couldnt find a deal on a good 028 ,id opt for the 026.lighter an pro quality.luck to u.

I agree, all the prices seem to be high. Maybe Marty (Chainsaw World) can turn you on to the same prices I got. I purchased a 346xp for about $350.00 and a 372xp for about $550.00.Good luck.

Jeff

Mike, you're right...too many Canadian Club and soda's. Next time I'll read a little more carefully.....or drink a little less. I think I'll read more carefully:D

Jeff

Narrowed down...

Ok, I've narrowed the field down:

Thinking of the following:

Husqvarna 55 Rancher ($539 CDN)

John Deere CS56 ($539 CDN)

Can't decide on the Sthil... choice is MS290 ($494 CDN) or MS340 ($659 CDN)

I've done a bit of searching here, appears people like the 55 Rancher and people say that the Stihl Consumer/Semi-Pro stuff ain't so good. The Stihl pro saw, the 340 is a far reach for me, based on price, but its still in the running.

Haven't seen much on JD... opinions? Sites I've been to claim they're the best, esp. when Power/Weight Ratio is considered (So, the lower the P/W Ratio, the better, right???) and also their construction.

Some more opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I run a Stihl 026 with an 18" bar. It handles everything I come across up to 24" or so, then I pull out the 046. I wouldn't use an 029 if you gave me two and took away my 026.

I guess there is a market for the 034-036 size saws, although I never saw the point. The 026 is a lot lighter, and is strong enough to handle 90% of my groundwork easily. If my 026 won't cut it, I'm gonna need something bigger than an 034 to justify fueling up another saw. Big wood, I just blast through with the 046. But like I said, the 026 gets used for most of my jobs and the 046 only gets pulled out if I have more than 2-3 cuts over 24".

Dunno about the Huskies, haven't had a decent Husky dealer in Orlando for almost 10 years. Lots of guys buy the BIG huskies, but midsize everyone around here runs Stihl.

Over and over I find myself agreeing with Treeclimber165. The 50cc saws seem to have a bad rap as "firewood saws". It took me while to figure out that I can do more work with a small saw than I was lead to beleive. I have a Stihl 026 and am VERY pleased with its performance, if I had to give up all my saws but one, I'd keep the 026. That being said I did run a Husky 351 and a Jonsered 2149 at Booneville. All three saws are good choices and with care could easily last 30 years. It comes down to dealer support, If there's a dealer around the corner from your house but he's a dork buy from the guy who has a good local reputation even if you have to drive a few more miles to get there. BTW you would be amazed at what a 37cc saw with a 12" bar can do when you need it to.

Dealer Support

I've gotta agree w/these guys. Unless you're able to maintain your own saw and are willing to wait for parts...the only way to go is with whatever your local dealer is peddling w/in reason, of course), provided he's a good dealer.
I, like the shaved ape, would give up every saw I owned except my 026. Then I ran a Solo 651 (4hp 10lbs.)for a full day. Bought one and sold my 026 the following week! The 651 is the finest (just my little opinion) 3ci saw on the market. BUT! It still comes down to having a good dealer behind you. Working a saw w/o the support of a good dealer can only lead to headaches.

Thanks for all the help guys. I found the link in another thread to CSCC, and found my two saws, the Pioneer Holiday "G" and Pioneer 3270. Found the Holiday was 58 cc, and the 3270 a big 77 cc. The 3270 is still in good shape, with little use, so I think I can get at least 5 more years out of it... she cuts like a SOB, just is a bit of a hard start, but once she's going, watch out! I've working on a big oak that came down in front of my house, and the main trunk is at least 24" in diameter, if not more, and the 3270 cuts through it like butter!

Considering the love of the 260/026, it might come into the running, will have to get a price on it.

I've never heard of Solo... is there a website...? I don't think anyone in my area sells them... so then, I guess it'd be smarter to go Husky or Stihl, because we have good dealers here in Orillia, as both have been in business here for some time selling their respective wares, 'eh???

Seesaw...that must be the Pro 651...I just got some pricing on the Semi Pro 651 (same as that Craftsman I believe) about 350usd....the Pro is a special order here...but available...guess you havent had the cylinder off to look inside eh?

Sting..as these guys have already said...yep..go with a good servicing dealer...that is one of the most important factors...and yeah ..isnt Mikes site (CSCC) great?!!!

Hi Dennis.
Sorry about that, I do mean the 651 Pro model. You're making me nervous commenting on pulling the cylinder??? I would expect to find a closed-port, dbl. ringer. What's your opinion on that saw? I've been toying w/the idea of asking you to "ize" this saw. Do you prefer the saw to be new out of the box?

Sting,
Good luck and be careful.

Seesaw...I didnt mean to frighten ya..lol...I just havent gotten to see the pro inside yet....I would expect a closed quad loop system...or at least closed loop...Saws new out of the box are easier as there is alot less cleaning to do....but used saws arent that difficult...just more time...

new saws
044new-4.gif

Back