Cant break a spark - weird problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo jojo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I bought a Stihl Contra a few days ago. It was dirty and had no spark. After some cleaning I also cleaned breaker points with 500 grid sand paper, and now I have spark.

But here is the problem...spark is allway on. Kill switch is OK, but the kill wire is always grounded...even if disconnected from kill switch. How can I have spark and kill switch grounded at the same time. Resistance to secondary coil is around 8,5 kOhm
Kill wire is connected to breaker points and condenser.

I am confused

The kill switch will ground the primary ignition wire. As you can see, the other end of the primary windings goes to ground so if you disconnect the stop/kill wire from the switch and check for continuity, it will always be continuous to ground. You need to check the switch itself and verify that when you close it, it actually completes the circuit to ground.

1717547542676.png

Mark

If I disconnect kill switch and mount kill wire direct to case (ground), I still have a spark.

I checked for spark today again and now it works properly. Kill switch is working and brakes the spark. I dont know what happened yesterday...probably some moisture from cleaning caused a problem, but it was very weird problem. I wasnt drunk yesterday.

Back