Ceramic Bearings?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAAAAAAAhahaaaaaa

I drew that one

Ben....in past posts you said that you should follow the oil makers recommended ratios not the manufactirers spec

In a later post you state that you run more oil than the oil maker specs

c'est la vie

":dizzy: If a sane man and an insane man get into an argument, you will not be able to tell the two apart":dizzy:

TW, before I eat crow something has to be definitively proved, which hasnt happened yet. Judging by the banter, the lack of certain posters comment and the lack of genuine technical discussion it doesnt appear thats likely to happen.

I ran my 346 etech on 32:1 for about 2 gallons of fuel with out issue. I did mod the muffler first though.
With that said take the etech muffler and throw it as far as you can. The CAT makes the saw run too hot, even after its modded. A new muffler is only $45 and the saw will run better witha traditional hollow muffler.
Husky silver bottle oil is good oil and bunrs very clean at 32:1.

http://new.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=483589#post483589

This....
Ben....in past posts you said that you should follow the oil makers recommended ratios not the manufactirers spec

Does not equal this.....
I ran my 346 etech on 32:1 for about 2 gallons of fuel with out issue. I did mod the muffler first though.
With that said take the etech muffler and throw it as far as you can. The CAT makes the saw run too hot, even after its modded. A new muffler is only $45 and the saw will run better witha traditional hollow muffler.
Husky silver bottle oil is good oil and bunrs very clean at 32:1.

In an attempt to bring technical content back to this discussion....

I took a Material Science Engineering Course here at WSU and the professors (all leaders in material science research) demonstrated that cermamic was indeed harder than steel and had some very positive qualities for use as bearings.

My question is: Has anybody running ceramic bearings taken apart thier saws after a long period of use? How did the crank look? Was it more worn than a crank from a saw with equal hours and stock bearings?

Just a question, not meaning to start another series of poop throwing replies....

My question is: Has anybody running ceramic bearings taken apart thier saws after a long period of use? How did the crank look? Was it more worn than a crank from a saw with equal hours and stock bearings?
the bearings in question are ball type raced bearings so the ceramic balls wouldnt contact the crank itself.

Sorry...just thought of that. Anyway.

How do the races look?

I think the idea of ceramic bearings is very interesting. Maybe I should hurry up and get done with college so I can afford such luxuries.

In an attempt to bring technical content back to this discussion....

I took a Material Science Engineering Course here at WSU and the professors (all leaders in material science research) demonstrated that cermamic was indeed harder than steel and had some very positive qualities for use as bearings.

Lol, it's been 20+ years but maybe you see the mention of Duran around there? He was the head of MSE and my advisor. At that time I would bet he was pushing 70 years, who knows maybe 80. Go Cougs!!!

Sorry...just thought of that. Anyway.

How do the races look?

I think the idea of ceramic bearings is very interesting. Maybe I should hurry up and get done with college so I can afford such luxuries.

we have not had them in saws long enough to do any tear downs. In the bearing industry they are touted to last up to 10 times longer. If they only lasted 3 times longer with out the other benefits then they are well worth the money. Roller bearing should be out in about a year. This will absolutely revolutionize the motor world. In our testing here at the shop which is not scientifically controlled, we have found 5-7 percent increase in cut times. Spool up is so noticeable faster that it makes you take notice now. Now when it comes to weight and density I am getting 2 different #'s. Weight is 40% less than standard steel balls and density is 30%. I actually get confused on that and use the 30% density # when talking about them. At any rate; 30% less weight would result in approx. 43% less centrifugal force being applied to the out race requiring less fluid to lubricate and creating less heat from friction. You can find a lot of great information on Global Spec. about these bearings. They are definitely the face of the future.

It's a small world some days. I think its pretty cool the idea of ceramic saw bearings. Imagine, you could be running your 066 years after the EPA has phased out 2 strokes. And it may be running way better than the orange engineers ever imagined....

Back