cleaning stihl air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have anywas just blown out my air filters on my 046 and 066 with an air compressor, but i was trying to think of a way to "deep" clean them. the thought of running them through my dish washer came to mind, but wasn't sure how that would fair. anybody got any tricks for really cleaning up an air filter? thanks

I assume your talking about the HD filter system? There are two types - one you oil (obsolete) and the other dry. This is just about the dry version (last 10 years).

First, keep your pre-filter clean regularly by just banging it out or washing (I leave mine in my jeans pockets to "fool" the wife) and if it doesn't fit tight, chuck it and buy another - $4-$5 I have a couple of spares so I can just snap one of and the other rather then mess around while I'm milling.

The main filter cartridge is just dunked in hot soapy water for a few minutes (I spray mine with dilute purple cleaner) and then run the garden hose though them INSIDE to OUT). Blow out with air if you have it.

If you have a tight pre-filter (no curling edges, elastic in good shape), and you knock it clean by bashing it on something hard, little gets though to the main filter. If your saws is spitting back a lot of gas into the filter, the oils and resins from the wood will harden and block. Purple cleaner is a good solution. Make sure your inner sponge is in place to trap any spit-back, or if a later saw, the defector is installed.

Eventually you'll get some buildup between the outer Stainless mesh and the fleece. It's hard to get out but I've taken some really bad dry HD filters from the garbage can, ultrasonically cleaner them for about 30 minutes in purple cleaner, and washed them out. 90% are still in use...

Try a search on "Ultrasonic Cleaners" on ebay and you will see what andy is referring to.

The purple stuff that andy is referring to is Castrol Superclean (namebrand) or the purple power (generic) gary referred to.

Hi SI, I see you are from beautiful southern Illinois also. I am near Mt. Vernon, what about you?

There is a Mount Vernon, Ohio too.
I got a HD filter that I thought I had clean, but when I slap it on the saw it lost 2k worth of rpms on the top. So these ideas will hopefully help.

Try a search on "Ultrasonic Cleaners" on ebay and you will see what andy is referring to.

The purple stuff that andy is referring to is Castrol Superclean (namebrand) or the purple power (generic) gary referred to.

Here's a link to one Lake recommended in an earlier thread
Ebay auction for Ultrasonic cleaner

Works even better than I expected it to.

saxman, im just right down the road from you, ever heard of scheller, that is where i grew up, went to hs at waltonville, and now live in carbondale. what part of mt. vernon u live in?

I live in the country between Bonnie and Mt. Vernon. You work in Carbondale? I went there to school (SIUC). Nice to meet you, PM me sometime if you want.

There is a Mount Vernon, Ohio too.
I got a HD filter that I thought I had clean, but when I slap it on the saw it lost 2k worth of rpms on the top. So these ideas will hopefully help.

Quit runinng your saw so lean then! is this one of your 16,000 rpm saws?

Quit runinng your saw so lean then!

Lake, when I put the filter off my 066 onto the 084 that didnt happen (rpm drop 2k), so I am guessing a good cleaning is in order.
I just used air pressure to try and clean it before, but evidently it needs the super scrubbing.

Your 084 might have the old style pleated (and oiled) type of filter. They just don't clean after 15 years... Chuck it...

Back