cleaning stihl air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I can't help what your dealer charges. That's the MSRP out here. Go to another dealer..

Also, yours is "HD", just not fleece.

Sorry, I can't help what your dealer charges. That's the MSRP out here. Go to another dealer..

Also, yours is "HD", just not fleece.

Yeah, I'm going to have to call around. Perhaps I should ask them if they can sell it for $24 instead. What do you think? Unfortunately, nothing on eBay either. C'mon Stihl dealership employees. Put your neck on the line and start selling stuff on eBay for considerably less than MSRP. Please?

Pg 36 of the 044 Instruction/Owner's Manual says the green filter is the Standard filter for normal operating conditions and winter operation. It says the black filter is the HD filter for dry and very dusty work areas. The pictures show the Standard without the prefilter over it. Do the Standard filters come with the prefilter, or is that something the previous owner decided to do on his own?

It would be cool to be able to run the large filters, but use a baffle instead of the filter insert. That would be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to have to call around. Perhaps I should ask them if they can sell it for $24 instead. What do you think? Unfortunately, nothing on eBay either. C'mon Stihl dealership employees. Put your neck on the line and start selling stuff on eBay for considerably less than MSRP. Please?

Pg 36 of the 044 Instruction/Owner's Manual says the green filter is the Standard filter for normal operating conditions and winter operation. It says the black filter is the HD filter for dry and very dusty work areas. The pictures show the Standard without the prefilter over it. Do the Standard filters come with the prefilter, or is that something the previous owner decided to do on his own?

It would be cool to be able to run the large filters, but use a baffle instead of the filter insert. That would be the best of both worlds.

Ignore Stihl's "normal" operating condition for the green filter. The non corragated yellow fleece in the black case is standard now, and has been for some time.

The pre-filter is required and comes with the main filter, or separate for replacement. The plastic insert is not applicable to the 044, so use the sponge.

The HD filter -1654 MSRP is actually $23.75... even less than Baileys ;)

Last edited:
To be clear -the $24 (actually $23.75) is the MSRP... not what you were quoted..

I was thinking the $38.95 was the MSRP. Thanks, that certainly clears it up a lot. That's for all three items parts (filter, prefilter, filter insert), right? I'll go down there tomorrow, as I may have misunderstood them on the phone. They are of a different ethnic background than me, and their spoken english is sometimes a bit tough to understand.

The HD filter -1654 MSRP is actually $23.75... even less than Baileys ;)
Is MSRP the same throughout the country?

Last edited:
Cleaning air filters.

We always clean the airfilter in rhe dish washer. The first time I was a little skaptical. But after the cleaning, the filter looks like a new filter!!! Fantastic!
Thats the way to do it.....:ices_rofl: :clap:

Cleaning air filters.

We always clean the airfilter in rhe dish washer. The first time I was a little skaptical. But after the cleaning, the filter looks like a new filter!!! Fantastic!
Thats the way to do it.....:ices_rofl: :clap:

In my house, that would not be one of my smarter moves. Even if she was out of the country at the time, somehow she would know. Seems like I never get away with anything.

Uh oh... you've got it bad... All you need now is white leather seats in the truck:hmm3grin2orange:

For the new saw to sit on?

My previous truck was a 65 chevy model 20 pickup. The cab was so big I carried saws inside with me. Any one of which was worth more than that old truck. Kissed the ground each time it got me home from a road trip full of wood. Boy could it haul weight, though.

To dissolve baked on hardwood resin off woodworking blades like circular saw blades I use a product called Simple Green. SG is also a good degreaser and I have used it on car and bike parts for many years. Would anyone see a problem in using SG to clean air filters? I suspect it's a variation of the Purple cleaner that others have mentioned in this thread.
Thanks

I called the local dealer, the one who quoted $38.95, and haggled with them over the phone. They said "list" was $33 something. I asked if it was $23.75, and they said no. I called four other dealers, and they all quoted between $35 and $40. On my way to my father-in-law's place to drop off some wood, I picked one up and it was $33.87, about $5 less than what they quoted over the phone.

I definitely won't ever run the standard (green) filter unless it's wet outside and there is zero dust. After sawing a LARGE eucalyptus branch into rounds today, there was a bit of wood dust under the filter. This was even with the prefilter intstalled over it. Before ripping and quartering the rounds, I bought and installed the HD (black) filter. I didn't spend any time looking under the filter area, so I'm assuming the dust was from the morning, and not from the ripping and quartering session. If it was, I'm a bit peaved at the amount the HD filter let by.

Something is strange in your area then. Stihl NW is $23.75 list... and I'm pretty sure you are in the NW region. I looked up last years price to make sure it hadn't recently changed - same price.

Make sure you DON'T have the black gasket installed in the air-filter backing plate - it's not supposed to be there with the -1654. The prefilter needs to fit snugly.

In case it makes it more palatable, an HD filter will last for many many years if the pre-filter is cleaned now and then.

Last edited:
Something is strange in your area then. Stihl NW is $23.75 list... and I'm pretty sure you are in the NW region. I looked up last years price to make sure it hadn't recently changed - same price.

Make sure you DON'T have the black gasket installed in the air-filter backing plate - it's not supposed to be there with the -1654. The prefilter needs to fit snugly.

In case it makes it more palatable, an HD filter will last for many many years if the pre-filter is cleaned now and then.

I found a dealer that wasn't trying to retire on Stihl chain, so I had them order a loop of RSC and RM for me. The only Stihl they stock is RM2. Anyway, it came from Pacific Stihl in Visalia, CA.

My saw is recent enough that it doesn't have the air filter base that uses the black gasket. The old pre-filter isn't as snug on the wire mesh filter as the new pre-filter iis on the felt filter. I can spin the pre-filter on the mesh filter, but the new pre-filter that came with the felt filter is practically impossible to spin. When I cleaned everything up this early evening, I noticed there was some sawdust between the pre-filter and the mesh filter. The new filter had zero contamination, so I'm guessing the old pre-filter is worn out. They're cheap, and I plan to buy a few extras. Unfortunately the shop didn't have any.

Yeah, I realized that it will be a long time before I have to buy a new filter, so the $36.xx after tax isn't that bad, really.

And I see you have changed your location description.. not in BOISE yet.. that might explain the price difference.. CA is a different Stihl area.

There are two prefilters.. The best way to figure out if the prefilter you need is the same as you just got is to try it on the old filter. If it is NOT too wide, and fits inside the edges tightly, then it's correct - part number is on the lable. If it IS too wide, you need the 1124 xxx xxxxx version.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back