cleaning stihl air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a dealer that wasn't trying to retire on Stihl chain, so I had them order a loop of RSC and RM for me. The only Stihl they stock is RM2. Anyway, it came from Pacific Stihl in Visalia, CA.

Visalia. Lovely place - hope to get back later this year.

You could do a lot of damage with a chainsaw there - lots of almond and pecan trees. And orange trees. MILES of 'em.... :dizzy:

Andy, what filter do I have on my 026? (I hate being a noob.)

To dissolve baked on hardwood resin off woodworking blades like circular saw blades I use a product called Simple Green. SG is also a good degreaser and I have used it on car and bike parts for many years. Would anyone see a problem in using SG to clean air filters? I suspect it's a variation of the Purple cleaner that others have mentioned in this thread.
Thanks
Simple Green is good stuff, and much less harsh than Castrol SuperClean. SG doesn't want to say what it is: the only chemical they admit to in their MSDS is 2-butoxyethanol. The rest of it is probably surfactants.
The old Castrol SuperClean was sodium hydroxide, sodium metasilicate, and 2-butoxyethanol. Now it doesn't say Castrol on the bottle, and it's got a bunch of other stuff in it - looks like mostly surfactants.
WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO DISCONTINUE THE STUFF I LIKE?!?!?!?!?!?! :angry:

CA is just a different area, period. The price difference probably reflects a $10 tree-hugger tax.

OUCH ! I'd neg-rep you for that but it just so happens that you're right. Dammit. You gotta remember though that along with the "tree huggers" we still have quite a few "tree muggers" out here. :D

OUCH ! I'd neg-rep you for that but it just so happens that you're right. Dammit. You gotta remember though that along with the "tree huggers" we still have quite a few "tree muggers" out here. :D

No doubt. California is such a mixed bag. When you think about it, it was settled by people who went West to get away from the kind of people who more or less run the state now! I'm not sure what happened, but it's too bad.

i have anywas just blown out my air filters on my 046 and 066 with an air compressor, but i was trying to think of a way to "deep" clean them. the thought of running them through my dish washer came to mind, but wasn't sure how that would fair. anybody got any tricks for really cleaning up an air filter? thanks

The dishwasher works great.May not want to let the wife see you doing it though :laugh:
Dishwasher, no doubt!

That's what we use, and it works great, at least on our filters (none is the fleece variant)! :greenchainsaw: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
No doubt. California is such a mixed bag. When you think about it, it was settled by people who went West to get away from the kind of people who more or less run the state now! I'm not sure what happened, but it's too bad.

But have you seen the California embassy in Washington DC? Absolutely marvelous...

Latest posts

Back