Dilemma....Echo 70cc vs Clone 90cc saw. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More power is subjective, I think. Echos usually lack chain speed in the high end bands, which can translate to less power. An example is the cs680, at 66.7cc with a 20 inch bar it'll most likely cut behind an ms261 in 12 inch wood but the same saw will still pull a 36 inch bar , buried better than an ms400. Just depends on how you run the saws. I find Echo saws a pleasure to run, even after running all the other latest and greatest Stihl and Husqy stuff. Some people hate them. I talked to a guy the other day who hates Stihl and loves Echo, most likely because he learned on Echos. It's subjective.
It will not pull a 36 bar worth a damn and not better than a 400c for certain.
Equating a slow cutting saw to having more torque to pull a longer bar just isn't so. And no 60 or even 70 cC pulls a 3' bar worth a damn is. Hardwood.

It will not pull a 36 bar worth a damn and not better than a 400c for certain.
Equating a slow cutting saw to having more torque to pull a longer bar just isn't so. And no 60 or even 70 cC pulls a 3' bar worth a damn is. Hardwood.
That makes it just an argument. I think you’re wrong. And I’m not running a 36 on mine because I know it’s less than optimal, but I’m sticking with it’ll out pull a 400 on a 36 in big wood. I also know the 400 will smoke it in 20 inch wood. May not have a nice ring for Stihl lovers but the 680 is a different animal if you know how to feed it. The 400 is a speed queen.

That makes it just an argument. I think you’re wrong. And I’m not running a 36 on mine because I know it’s less than optimal, but I’m sticking with it’ll out pull a 400 on a 36 in big wood. I also know the 400 will smoke it in 20 inch wood. May not have a nice ring for Stihl lovers but the 680 is a different animal if you know how to feed it. The 400 is a speed queen.
Do you own a 400?

If you lived close id drive over and prove to you what I am saying is true.

Do you own a 400?
I do not. I have access to them though and have spent a few hours behind one recently.

I would never say it’s not a GREAT saw! Right now, a couple of my favorite saws to run are the 500i and the 400, but after spending time with them, they don’t leave me thinking Echos are junk and I’d still prefer to own the 3 series Husqys and think some of the Echo models, even the ones I don’t own, are great saws.

Latest posts

Back