Does Stihl=Ford and Husky=Chevy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive a Doge Cummins and I have both Husky's and Stihls, and what I prefer depends on what I'm cutting and which saw broke down last, lol. :greenchainsaw:

Ford found off road driving and that would be where chevys can't go
ford = first on race day. I will tell ya a true story I was heading to my favorite fishin hole in this bronco and had a chevy guy see me and my first thought was, I bet he tries to follow me. Yup sure did, about ten minutes later they come walking up and the buddy of the driver says, would you happen to have a chain?
I said yeah, I will pull you out and its about like a chevy to try to follow a ford. He laughed and said that is what he told his buddy, he said; I told him not to try it :hmm3grin2orange:

It really embarrassed him when I showed him I had not locked in the hubs yet!

Last edited:
Well I'll tell ya, I've driven all 3 brands of pickups, all stock, and all modified. All I can say is, Fords have the best front end (suspension wise), Chevy's have the smoothest ride, and Dodge's have the best powertrain with the stick shift, and with the diesel, they win hands down.

Now my Dodge Diesel won't go through mud like smaller trucks will, it"ll just sink the front end, but I haven't found a stuck rig I could get to and not pull out. And while all 3 4x4 systems stock are a joke, the Chevy is the only of the 3 to have a rear locker from the factory (Its a joke to, cause its not selectable), besides the Power Wagon of course. If all you want to talk about is how far down a trail you can go, the Power Wagon is the king of off-road pickups, you can't argue otherwise.

Now if you have to get real deep in the woods, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon will take you farther than any other stock vehicle on the planet, and that includes all the Hummer's you want. Weight plays a huge role in 4x4 capability, and with the locking axles, factory M/T Tires, and selectable sway bar, that little Jeep will go just about anywhere you point it.:cheers:

Well I'll tell ya, I've driven all 3 brands of pickups, all stock, and all modified. All I can say is, Fords have the best front end (suspension wise), Chevy's have the smoothest ride, and Dodge's have the best powertrain with the stick shift, and with the diesel, they win hands down.

Now my Dodge Diesel won't go through mud like smaller trucks will, it"ll just sink the front end, but I haven't found a stuck rig I could get to and not pull out. And while all 3 4x4 systems stock are a joke, the Chevy is the only of the 3 to have a rear locker from the factory (Its a joke to, cause its not selectable), besides the Power Wagon of course. If all you want to talk about is how far down a trail you can go, the Power Wagon is the king of off-road pickups, you can't argue otherwise.

Now if you have to get real deep in the woods, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon will take you farther than any other stock vehicle on the planet, and that includes all the Hummer's you want. Weight plays a huge role in 4x4 capability, and with the locking axles, factory M/T Tires, and selectable sway bar, that little Jeep will go just about anywhere you point it.:cheers:

My bronco will go most anywhere a jeep will unless it is pinned for
a crawler and it is traction lock all four buddy! I would also put
my 66 f250 up against a power waggon I aint sceerd:laugh:

My dodge here is a puller I will admit also:cheers:

Thats a great looking truck you got there, same as our farm rig, we haul horses up and down the east coast with it, 06 with over 200k miles on it already, baby never missed a beat. I did put in a Quadzilla Max Mileage Tuner in it, picked up a full 1mpg, sometimes up to 2mpg from where it used to run.

I used to wheel an 86 CJ-7, with spools and Swamper SX's. I would go places on 37's where the FSB's on 44's couldn't. If by traction lock, you mean Trac-Lok, which is a Spicer/Dana product of LSD's,your truck will spin an aired tire, while the one left on the ground gets no pwer whatsoever...its just a flaw of limited slip units; Unless you welded the spider gears (in which case its a spool). Without lockers a Rubi will crawl all over you in any situation where flex matters, and I hope you trashed the original Twin Traction beam front axle, those are piles of you know what.

Your old ford might go where a Power Wagon will, but again, without lockers you better not play in anything flexy... It just won't hold its own. You might not be scared, but you would be embarrassed, :cry: .

I worked for Dana Corp for years in OH, and MI... Tested more vehicles than I can count. The AAM system in the Power Wagon was the most impressive 4wd system I've tested, just wish you could get rid of the computer watch dogs. The new Rubi's system was one of my test rigs for a while, and I love the 4wd system in that, but again, just too much electronics to scare me. Give me an Ox locker, ARB, or Detroit (in the rear) over these computer controlled electronic units.

Last edited:
My old IH scout

I got involved with most of my equipment stuck in a sticky quagmire once, everything was getting axled. Even the scout was having trouble, but wasn't yet stuck. Little bitty 4 cyclinder engine, and too light to pull out the bigger trucks, it was still trying.

I can't remember the year of the machine, but it was old in 1982. Somewhere in the 60's. It had vacuum operated windshield wipers, what does that say?

One of my employees did not understand what the lockout hubs were for, and had not turned one of them on correctly. But there in the sticky, sticky mud, was my little IH scout spinning all 3 wheels like they were expected to [under the circumstances]

Now that's a limited slip differential!

Last edited:
I got involved with most of my equipment stuck in a sticky quagmire once, everything was getting axled. Even the scout was having trouble, but wasn't yet stuck. Little bitty 4 cyclinder engine, and too light to pull out the bigger trucks, it was still trying.

I can't remember the year of the machine, but it was old in 1982. Somewhere in the 60's. It had vacuum operated windshield wipers, what does that say?

One of my employees did not understand what the lockout hubs were for, and had not turned one of them on correctly. But there in the sticky, sticky mud, was my little IH scout spinning all 3 wheels like they were expected to [under the circumstances]

Now that's a limited slip differential!

Those old Scouts were mechanically reliable to a certain extent, but would rust right out if the humidity went above 50%.

UMMMMMMMM
New here, but I would have to guess that the laws of physics don't give a flying rat's ass about brand loyalty, our pride or who didn't spend enough on engineering to make the best product, just my thoughts,
Cdog.

Thats a great looking truck you got there, same as our farm rig, we haul horses up and down the east coast with it, 06 with over 200k miles on it already, baby never missed a beat. I did put in a Quadzilla Max Mileage Tuner in it, picked up a full 1mpg, sometimes up to 2mpg from where it used to run.

I used to wheel an 86 CJ-7, with spools and Swamper SX's. I would go places on 37's where the FSB's on 44's couldn't. If by traction lock, you mean Trac-Lok, which is a Spicer/Dana product of LSD's,your truck will spin an aired tire, while the one left on the ground gets no pwer whatsoever...its just a flaw of limited slip units; Unless you welded the spider gears (in which case its a spool). Without lockers a Rubi will crawl all over you in any situation where flex matters, and I hope you trashed the original Twin Traction beam front axle, those are piles of you know what.

Your old ford might go where a Power Wagon will, but again, without lockers you better not play in anything flexy... It just won't hold its own. You might not be scared, but you would be embarrassed, :cry: .

I worked for Dana Corp for years in OH, and MI... Tested more vehicles than I can count. The AAM system in the Power Wagon was the most impressive 4wd system I've tested, just wish you could get rid of the computer watch dogs. The new Rubi's system was one of my test rigs for a while, and I love the 4wd system in that, but again, just too much electronics to scare me. Give me an Ox locker, ARB, or Detroit (in the rear) over these computer controlled electronic units.

Not sure exactly which it has may be the no spin but if I am in the
gumbo,it throws all four rooster tails and I have yet to stick it.
the suspension is skyjacker with torque rods yeah it can be beat
with a modded jeep and the rube may just do it too but that is if
they can get by me:laugh: I play rough the 250 has a nice 390 4speed
granny low geared will idle straight up hill any way its pretty bad azz
and will pull pretty good!

I don't follow you on the twin traction beam it has a straight axial
coils skyjacker twin shocks droped pitman maybe that helps.
If I had some more money to put into here I would crawl.
A friend at the superlift trails here in Hot Springs mods his
and has fared well against jeeps his is pinned so if you are really
flexing like say a four foot ditch he can adjust. He also has onboard
air with air lockers a modded sixty in back and the 44 in front but
the axles are beefed and a 460 instead of a small block. It is a bad boy
it pull wheelies on dirt and has won many events! Money can do wanders
to these early broncs and they are capable without much modding!

The Full Size Bronco's had what Ford called the "Twin Traction Beam" Front suspension. It looks like a solid axle broken in the center, with a u-joint connecting the shaft. Then each "Broken" housing is bolted to the frame and that is your flex point/pivot. They were serious garbage, and most guys pulled them and put in a 44 or something similar, as the u-joints would break in a heartbeat.

It doesn't take much to mod any of the old trucks, and whether it be Jeep CJ's, Ford FSB's, Chevy K-10 Blazers, Dodge Ramchargers, Int Scouts (Which have a frame as thick as the sheetmetal on an old CJ btw), or whatever... Without all the new crazy suspensions, drivetrains, and bodies, the old trucks are a lot easier to use, abuse, and rebuild.

I own a Stihl and drive a lesbianmobile (Subie Outback...) Laugh all you want, but at least it's a 5 speed...

The Full Size Bronco's had what Ford called the "Twin Traction Beam" Front suspension. It looks like a solid axle broken in the center, with a u-joint connecting the shaft. Then each "Broken" housing is bolted to the frame and that is your flex point/pivot. They were serious garbage, and most guys pulled them and put in a 44 or something similar, as the u-joints would break in a heartbeat.

It doesn't take much to mod any of the old trucks, and whether it be Jeep CJ's, Ford FSB's, Chevy K-10 Blazers, Dodge Ramchargers, Int Scouts (Which have a frame as thick as the sheetmetal on an old CJ btw), or whatever... Without all the new crazy suspensions, drivetrains, and bodies, the old trucks are a lot easier to use, abuse, and rebuild.
Feller now look, you may have worked at dana you may think you know
a lot and you may, but my bronco is an early meaning not what you are
speaking of, it came stock with a 44 not some broken housing thingy bob.
I am assuming you are speaking of 78 bronco with ifs, mine is a 72 with a 44 and nine inch rear! They also had a 30 that used kingpins at the knuckle instead of ball joints! Mine and all early broncos came with either a 44 or a 30 and a track bar coil overs !

Last edited:
Back