Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please send a mini tree jack. I had one set back today. I pondered it prior to cutting and was amazed when it did go back. I believe it is proof that fences are magnetic, as that is where I had to send it after it sat back and leaned....making my heart rate go up. I put in another cut and then skedaddled, and it worked out.
I brought the tree home in the back of my pickup, and it is now in the pile.
Here's the butchered stump.
203013d1318721165-day-40001_2-jpg

The fence barely shows up, but it got hit dead on. Not to worry, Floyd, this is a section that serves no purpose. No cows could escape.
203014d1318721168-day-40001_3-jpg

The tiny wedge was killed today.

On a happier note, today went well, except for that *&% tree. Most of them hit the ground on their own. I have more openings in which to send them.

View attachment 203013
View attachment 203014

Found ya that jack ya need! :D

0076.jpg

Found ya that jack ya need! :D

0076.jpg

A guy (or gal) could put a plate on top of that, weld a few rings on the base, connect some springs to the base and top plate, and have themselves a right handy little jack for blocking down trees.

Mr. HE:cool:

Paint chips, library paste, and pencil erasers...three of the basic food groups for elementary school kids in my home town. It was either that or the turkey al'a king that they served in the cafeteria. Low test scores....really really low.

It's said that the lead poisoning corrupted the Roman aristocracy and ultimately collapsed the whole empire. It's also said that the USA is a New Roma. That makes sense. But, logically, what's the point of poisoning the riff raff (which can not afford anything but things made in China)? Well, maybe the Chinese have calculated that since the trash has the numbers, they'll make bad decisions in the elections...

Is this politics? No, it's logging.

203013d1318721165-day-40001_2-jpg

I see some orange chips there, ma'am. Coastalfaller (if I recall it right) came out with a good idea. Do the back cut first, insert the wedge, then cut the notch. I tried that out the other day. It worked really well. Actually I like it better than the quarter cut, which I've done this far.

Last edited:
If you wander deep enough in some of those old groves, you will find where a tree has been felled, the old way with axes. The strange thing is there is no trace of the tree, just a big ass stump. Most are fairly remote, hard to say what went on, maybe lightning struck and salvaged.

Thankee Jameson, I kinda wanna learn how to scale a tree too, if I remember right there was a pretty good thread by Nate on it a while back here

The main thing, is scale from the small end, inside the bark, and length is to the nearest foot (or was it nearest even foot?) I've forgotten temporarily.

Maybe a faller will get on here and say how they do it.

Last edited:
The main thing, is scale from the small end, inside the bark, and length is to the nearest foot (or was it nearest even foot?) I've forgotten temporarily.

Maybe a faller will get on here and say how they do it.

Say a cat was scaling a long log, would it be fairly accurate to buck it and then get an average dia. and go from there?

I have no idea what the standard lengths to buck a tree are but say you bucked one at 32' that was 40" on the stump and 20" up top
and you used 30" to get your Doyle scale of 1352 bf

Say a cat was scaling a long log, would it be fairly accurate to buck it and then get an average dia. and go from there?

I have no idea what the standard lengths to buck a tree are but say you bucked one at 32' that was 40" on the stump and 20" up top

Find a volume table and print one out (google search one). Take it with you to the woods next time. Fall you a tree, buck your lengths up (use 16', or whatever length is on your volume table) and then, starting at the smallest log and at the small end of every log, work your way back to the first log, recording diameter and length of each log and then cross reference in the volume table.

Then tally up all your volumes for each log.

Now, with that said, I will go set up my super secret woods camera to capture a man mumbling at a volume table and scratching on a scale sheet :popcorn:

Them timberbeasts' like Cody, Pat, Bob, Jasha, Randy, Jason, etc. . . Just get good at eyeballing trees for scale. It's a time under your belt deal.

Board feet is also written 1Mbf = 1,000 board feet, so 45 Bushel would be 45Mbf.

Unless a guy is "Bushel'n" (cutting for a company paying you by what you cut), you really don't need to scale. Most shows these days are "Day-Wage" or hourly anyway.

Scaling is something that a person has to learn (Jameson and Nathan have to learn all about it for Forestry) if it's part of your job. Most mills have their own Foresters that "cruise for scale", and the mills themselves have a "scale shack" where guys/gals are paid to scale.

Peelers and sawlogs are different as well, at least in how they're processed. A sawlog is only as good as it's small end at the mill. The rest will be "waste" or "slabs" and sent down a conveyor and chipped.

In the below video, you can see what's called a "head saw" or "head rig". Notice the initial cuts are working the log down to the small end. Lots of slabs come off to get to the good stuff. Back in the day, when timber was huge and juicy, some slabs could have lots of wood in them. The mills would give them away, and guys could "resaw" them to make boards. My Great-Great-Grandfather & Great-Grandfather remodeled a place in town back in the 1920's using only lumber they resawed from free slabs from the mill. My Mom has the picture of them hand resawing slabs with a homemade circular mill powered by a Model-T (imagine a huge table saw). It was that same saw that my Great-Grandfather lost his middle finger on his hand, at the first knuckle.

Mills don't want to pay for slabs, so scaling is skewed to reflect usable wood.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/edEW0cRVBnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back