Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reminds me Paccity. I need to get some pictures of these alders along the road here. Farmer face with a sloped back cut. The stumps look like a v. Two tipped to a side and one ripped up about six feet. No bodies or saws laying there though. It looks like when that one ripped they quit. Hopefully

Nate- Its amazing how many sticky fingers there are in the world.

Nice fix Hammer. Its amazing how something like that can hang together and something meant to last can break so easily.

Got the ass full yesterday pretty quickly on this one! It sure is fun when it takes two hauls for one tree.
attachment.php

View attachment 219941

Good stuff Naterade!

On the block face, next time don't step the cut, and you can take advantage of the lower fibers as evidenced by the red arrow.

Back-cut on blue dotted line. . . Red dotted line is fiber column that will flex.

Green arrow shows fibers you want to use, as making a step just made them unnecessarily longer. I won't mention the snipe cause you already did.

Giver'er a try that'away next time and see what ya think.

attachment.php

Yeah, I've had it happen where if the top cut of your face is bypassed even slightly it sets the hinge back and you loose the whole bending fiber effect. I think it also has to do with how the grain is and if you bore or bust the block out. Different species take that face differently as well.

I take coffee into the woods for the creature comfort, and to not miss the chance for that one more cu[ during the day. makes for a much cozier ambiance. But, the thermos makes a handly storage spot for some duct tape. I got to put it to use today, that and a little piece of wood held my handle together for atleast 6 hours of full on falling and truthfully I didn't even notice a difference. Won't last, but it made me through the day without a trip to the truck or anything.

View attachment 219856

View attachment 219857

New handlebar, $143 plus shipping.
My local dealer said " you can't get that part anymore"
I said, "yes you can"
He said, "let me rephrase that, I can't get that part anymore."

East coast. fooey.

Nice old school "Rock Shox" sticker, Joe. you a mountain biker?!

Great Thread

Hello all,

I'm not in the business. I'm only a hobbiest woodworker who occassionally cuts down a tree or two for sawing into lumber for making furniture and stuff.

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this thread (I've read all of it) and how much respect I have for you timber fallers. I can identify with the hard work and the hard hat because I've been employed in the oilfield for 39 years. Although I have a pretty nice position now, I started out as a roughneck. I know what it feels like to be too tired to get undressed before falling asleep and then having to do it all over again the next day.

You men are doing honest work for (sometimes) honest pay and you seem to love what you are doing. That is really refreshing in this age of entitlements and something-for-nothing expectations. You also look pretty cool in your working attire and wielding those monster saws. :msp_smile:

I have three ~24" dbh beetle-killed Loblolly Pines that I intend to cut down for the lumber. I've already cut and milled one and I think just reading this thread will help me when I cut the others...with my little MS-250, 18" bar saw. I do intend to look up more frequently when cutting them. ;)

Anyway, thanks again for all the pics, videos and information here. I, too, hope that what you folks do can continue and be passed down to succeeding generations. It's truly a man's work.

Nice old school "Rock Shox" sticker, Joe. you a mountain biker?!

An old tool box from an era when I didn't get paid for exercise and kicks at the same time!

My bike is trashed right now, mostly these days the days off time is spent recovering and getting ready for more.

####, I've proven plenty, to myslef at least. If you want to coem grind some chains for me I'd love some more spare time.

'Nother good day cutting. One oak I cut while a unit was in some sort of formation and when the thing hit the ground, the soldiers all cheered. Evidently they were glad to be rid of it as it was a chore to rake up after. A sergeant asked for a cookie to make a clock out of. On a couple of the pin oaks I cut today, I made like an east-coaster and cut the root flare in order to make better use of my bar length -- them hardwoods is HARD! I can sort of empathize with the short-bar crowd now. I can also see why square chisel chain isn't a top-seller over there. I could get used to this falling thing. Starting to make some stumps worth being proud of. I'm super-glad to have this board as a reference because I've used every trick anybody's ever mentioned and have seen what works and what doesn't and have had a lot of mistakes averted because I had somebody else's testimony as a warning. Also proving super useful is all the input from the midwest and east coast folks whose styles and habits are different; Douglas-fir tricks don't work on everything. My bag-o'-tricks is definitely richer for my time here.

easy there Hoss. Never thought different and you can grind yer own dam chain.

Like Gologit says, "wait"

I say that the sins of your youth, will be visited upon your middleage.

You old guys and your damn nuggets of knowledge! HA!

I was bull####ting with my trucker yesterday and told him the hardest thing I have to do during the day is get my ass out of bed! He laughed. Hes usually on the road by 3am and doesn't get home til after dark. He gets paid by the hour though.

'Nother good day cutting. One oak I cut while a unit was in some sort of formation and when the thing hit the ground, the soldiers all cheered. Evidently they were glad to be rid of it as it was a chore to rake up after. A sergeant asked for a cookie to make a clock out of. On a couple of the pin oaks I cut today, I made like an east-coaster and cut the root flare in order to make better use of my bar length -- them hardwoods is HARD! I can sort of empathize with the short-bar crowd now. I can also see why square chisel chain isn't a top-seller over there. I could get used to this falling thing. Starting to make some stumps worth being proud of. I'm super-glad to have this board as a reference because I've used every trick anybody's ever mentioned and have seen what works and what doesn't and have had a lot of mistakes averted because I had somebody else's testimony as a warning. Also proving super useful is all the input from the midwest and east coast folks whose styles and habits are different; Douglas-fir tricks don't work on everything. My bag-o'-tricks is definitely richer for my time here.

I agree completely with what you said. It is nice to have AS around. If you grind your SC try leaving a beak on the cutter( as I was told ) for hardwoods and none for your softs. Why this is idk. I do know it's harder to switch chains from species to species. I usually have an idea of what the majority is and use according chain. You do know they make bigger bars for that lovely 660 of yours.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.798964,-122.488000

easy there Hoss. Never thought different and you can grind yer own dam chain.

Like Gologit says, "wait"

I say that the sins of your youth, will be visited upon your middleage.

I know
I know
I lauged when I read you words. But #### you anyway you sore old bastard!

Back