Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha
Its getting too expensive to live in California, Gov. Sunshine is going to tax us into the poorhouse.
We can buy the same moldy old house in WA, for less than rent here.
Besides, the Triple Junction has been sitting with clenched fangs for too long, we are over due.

I looked into the Amboy/Yacolt area when I was offered a job up there with the railroad. Very reasonable pricing
on houses and land. I went up to visit sawbones not long ago in Sultan and the traffic was terrible. I made
the mistake of being on Highway 2 on a Saturday.

Isn't Woods Logging Supply gone now from Morton?

Yet another empty building. I think, anyway. I haven't looked at it lately. The good news is that there is a movie theater. They also do plays there, so if you have a yen for acting or singing, you can do that. There is a gym, although that building or business is for sale. The appliance store went out of business right when I wanted to buy appliances, locally. The thrift store does a booming business. The computer/internet business seems to be sticking as are the two grocery stores. There are a couple of bars--the one that tried to attract the motorcycle crowd went out of business. I think it is for sale? I'll have to cruise Morton for an update one of these days. It doesn't take long to do.

I try to think of something. There are lots of empty buildings to use. But I fail. I do not know what the fate will be of the liquor store. They are supposed to be privatised soon.

Morton has no library. That is a sad thing.

The heli-loggers most of whom were from Montana and Idaho pointed out that the town looked poor and desolate until you drove by the hospital. There were shiny new cars and pickups parked in that area.

But we do grow nice trees in this part of the state. And if Randy and Annie moved to downtown Morton, we could park at their house, go get likkered up during Jubilee, and camp out in their yard! :laugh:

Yet another empty building. I think, anyway. I haven't looked at it lately. The good news is that there is a movie theater. They also do plays there, so if you have a yen for acting or singing, you can do that. There is a gym, although that building or business is for sale. The appliance store went out of business right when I wanted to buy appliances, locally. The thrift store does a booming business. The computer/internet business seems to be sticking as are the two grocery stores. There are a couple of bars--the one that tried to attract the motorcycle crowd went out of business. I think it is for sale? I'll have to cruise Morton for an update one of these days. It doesn't take long to do.

I try to think of something. There are lots of empty buildings to use. But I fail. I do not know what the fate will be of the liquor store. They are supposed to be privatised soon.

Morton has no library. That is a sad thing.

The heli-loggers most of whom were from Montana and Idaho pointed out that the town looked poor and desolate until you drove by the hospital. There were shiny new cars and pickups parked in that area.

But we do grow nice trees in this part of the state. And if Randy and Annie moved to downtown Morton, we could park at their house, go get likkered up during Jubilee, and camp out in their yard! :laugh:

Camping out at the RandyMac compound would be cool. He'd probably make us go watch him perform in his adaptation of H.M.S. Pinafore at the local theater though....:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.M.S._Pinafore

Today's lessons so far (it's lunch time): 1) not all trees will swing, no matter how much you curse at them 2) a yellow wedge (loader) beats a green one every time 3) yeah, I AM scared of a few little rocks, and no, I'm NOT gonna flush-cut that stump with my saw, because maintaining the bar and chain is MY problem.

I don't know whether I've been falling or pruning or arboristing or what. I have had an alder that was rubbing on the roof of the shop. Well, it isn't anymore. I did it the hard way. I wanted to hear. I took my orchard style hand run pole pruner and went to work. I cut it up as high as I could, and the thing broke part way and settled. We're talking small alder, probably 6 inches at that point. So, I cut lower figuring the thing would barberchair, I'm on the end of the pole where I think it is safe. It won't barberchair!I keep sawing and finally, a slow split starts and stops. I have to pull and jump, repeat. Finally, it cooperated and rolled off the roof and now I have a mess to whack up, but I'll use the Barbie Saw.

Now, are we supposed to wear chaps when operating a hand powered pole pruner? :msp_rolleyes:

I don't know whether I've been falling or pruning or arboristing or what. I have had an alder that was rubbing on the roof of the shop. Well, it isn't anymore. I did it the hard way. I wanted to hear. I took my orchard style hand run pole pruner and went to work. I cut it up as high as I could, and the thing broke part way and settled. We're talking small alder, probably 6 inches at that point. So, I cut lower figuring the thing would barberchair, I'm on the end of the pole where I think it is safe. It won't barberchair!I keep sawing and finally, a slow split starts and stops. I have to pull and jump, repeat. Finally, it cooperated and rolled off the roof and now I have a mess to whack up, but I'll use the Barbie Saw.

Now, are we supposed to wear chaps when operating a hand powered pole pruner? :msp_rolleyes:

Probably not. But if you're doing the "pull and jump" and rolling things off of the roof you might want to invest in one of those fancy Roger Ramjet Space Cadet arborist hardhats.

No thank you. I did dump some small alders, then had to saw limbs off The Used Dog's back scratch tree. I'm cleaning up and making the area more packrat unfriendly. I am finding wonderful things underneath the brush. More trailer siding, I think, a tire, and the usual rotting timbers. The tire will make a good thing to grow something in on my rockpile.

The saws, both manual and mechanized were calling out to be used today. I hope they do the same tomorrow.

So now they want me to bump the knots flush? Geeze. It's not like all these trees are gonna end up as anything but firewood. Coincidentally, some of the (non-native) landscape trees have a NICE log or two in 'em. Red oaks have especially nice grain. Fingers crossed we can figure out some way to deck 'em and sell 'em.

Sounds like you have too many experts around.

There is a company that buys different hardwoods. I can't remember the name. I think they have three small mills, one near you? They were at the GOL class.

They make special order stuff, like display tables for Nordstrom.

fiber puller

Am not!

Photo345.jpg

Nice work Nate! Your red oaks are a little less red than mine. They will do most things you tell them to do. Until you get into the real big sweeping sobs. Thats when they start giving me the finger.

Nice work Nate! Your red oaks are a little less red than mine. They will do most things you tell them to do. Until you get into the real big sweeping sobs. Thats when they start giving me the finger.

I noticed that too, and they have more sap wood than ours.

Have you gone to the dark side and started using a "limbing saw" yet? :msp_ohmy:

Pfft. 440 with a 28" is a GREAT limbing saw.

Some darn forester must have grumbled at you, eh?

But... but... but...

Until you get into the real big sweeping sobs. Thats when they start giving me the finger.

Put one of those down Saturday with my first attempt at a siswheel. Took it a bit to swing around (not tall, long limbs) but landed right where I wanted it to. Buoyed by that success, I tried to swing one yesterday and the damn thing wouldn't budge. Ended up having the loader bump it. Oh, yeah, it swung just right under hydraulic pressure. All of the other red oaks I've put down have been a snap. The ones I'm really disliking are the sycamores -- very heavy, wet, and hard. Not pulpy like cottonwoods, which is nice, but still plenty brittle. I'm guessing their fibers are really short.

Put down a DF today which was right up against the HQ building for some brigade or other. The stem was right outside of the front office. Evidently it had been busting windows in strong winds for years. A junior officer of some flavor or other watched us work, chin on hands on elbows on windowsill. Obviously dude was thinking he'd rather be out working with us than doing whatever his job was. I know for sure I spent many of my Navy days wishing for the outdoors. I waved to him when we left the site. I'm not sure he'd noticed that he'd been spotted, as he seemed surprised, but he did wave back.

Back