Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, cut them hickories up tight. Make sure you're not below your hinge at all either in the back. They don't like that. If its going over really slow and you can get back in there do some more sawing or get the hell out. It will split out before the face closes sure as ####. I had one cut up super tight about a week ago. Even with some extra deep snipe action I still got a little splitting of the butt going on. The only thing I could figure from looking at the stump was that my back cut was just a touch low and caused it to stall.

Naw, Silviculturists grow 'em. Pathologists autopsy 'em when they die. I know a couple of excellent forest pathologists. I tug on their coats a lot when I don't recognize something.

Must be a lot of money to toss around if you guys have specific "forest pathologists" wherever you are. Any forester or silviculturist worth his salt should be able to diagnose the majority of tree diseases

Great pictures Cody. Those capture S.E. ground really well. Another thing that tells you about S.E. Ak. You don't see skidders anywhere.
Thats a good shot of your friend with the springboard in the big spruce.
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Must be a lot of money to toss around if you guys have specific "forest pathologists" wherever you are.

Hardly. They're a rare breed and usually cover a lot of ground. It's not so much about just IDing diseases and bugs and stuff, but figuring out what to do about it, at the landscape level. I have a lot of respect for those folks.

Hardly. They're a rare breed and usually cover a lot of ground. It's not so much about just IDing diseases and bugs and stuff, but figuring out what to do about it, at the landscape level. I have a lot of respect for those folks.

Certainly, a lot of peoples livelihoods rest upon those guys decisions. From my experience it's not the diseases that are too much of a problem, as there are generally alternate hosts which are easy enough to eliminate, but it's the bugs that can be extremely hard to manage for. Big one here is the white pine weavil and there is some fairly new regulations regarding the transportation of firewood due to the threat of emerald ash borer. White pine blister rust, a fungal disease has not been a problem since about the 50's 60's here as it's alternate host, gooseberry has been mostly exterminated. I know of several WP stands here.. about 5 years old, that are some kind of WP weavil resistant gene strand. I believe it's mostly an experiment but it will save a lot of loss if it can be perfected. This is all from Penobscot county Maine where I currently reside.

The main research on that resistance is done by the USFS Dorena research site in OR. I've been in contact with them lately regarding some plantations of ours. The history and understanding they have of this stuff is amazing.

Extremely smart people, I believe most loggers would much rather try to explain their operation to a forest ranger than one of these guys when they get a call regarding a previous harvest site.

Nice pics Sam! I'd like to cut on some real slopes sometime. The hills I have worked I can make more fun things happen.

I had a nice tight hickory stump all ready from last week and my old phone took a crap. Ah well. When they start going over slow its either run in there and cut or get the hell out and watch them split.

First stump of the day the other morning. Some light wedging. Everything is getting a snipe lately. It was a productive day.
attachment.php

Red oak leaning hard into hard leaning white oak. Faced the white then back cut and flushed up wedges in the red. Face that up and wedged a little more. Came back to the white and bored the #####. I left a little plug because there was some dead #### hanging about head high out of the white and I had to jump over a couple of logs behind me to bail. Worked out.
attachment.php

Add: that branch perpendicular to the white was the dead ####. Just realized where it ended up.

View attachment 224498
View attachment 224499

Last edited:
Hey Madhatte- hickory is a tough one, even this one managed to pull a fiber or two

Huh. Sure surprised me when I had two pairs of wedges stacked and it was just sitting there. We don't have any wood that acts like that around here. It's reassuring to know that it's not just me.

Latest posts

Back