Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics Sam! I'd like to cut on some real slopes sometime. The hills I have worked I can make more fun things happen.

I had a nice tight hickory stump all ready from last week and my old phone took a crap. Ah well. When they start going over slow its either run in there and cut or get the hell out and watch them split.

First stump of the day the other morning. Some light wedging. Everything is getting a snipe lately. It was a productive day.
attachment.php

Red oak leaning hard into hard leaning white oak. Faced the white then back cut and flushed up wedges in the red. Face that up and wedged a little more. Came back to the white and bored the #####. I left a little plug because there was some dead #### hanging about head high out of the white and I had to jump over a couple of logs behind me to bail. Worked out.
attachment.php

Add: that branch perpendicular to the white was the dead ####. Just realized where it ended up.

View attachment 224498
View attachment 224499

Nice looking stump.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 224688View attachment 224689View attachment 224690View attachment 224691

Some pics from today. One of them I had to stack wedges. First time doing that, kept it off the wires anyway. Really had to work on that one. Figured I sit and think a minute. Disclaimer- I'm a truck driver with a chainsaw and that's all. My axe was the victim of a big swing and bad aim, spider monkey on Mountain Dew style. Got a new handle and another axe. Should have a spare anyway. I did wear a hardhat. It's on the ground behind the tree I'm sitting on.

Last edited:
Hey Madhatte- hickory is a tough one, even this one managed to pull a fiber or two-

View attachment 224495

Sam, that hair cut looks a lot like jammer logging in WV did. Does the yearder run on each of those benches? Did you all doze those benches or are they from previous logging?

View attachment 224496

All pre-existing road Joe, save for a few excaline trails. Most of the face was originaly cat logged when operators were men (nuts!).

Ponderosa Pine. . . They tend to be pretty dern big, bout anywhere you go and find them here. Best load counts I ever got when I was pulling wood was on a Pondy unit.

So they're cheating :laugh: -- now if'n that woulda been a big ol DF. . . :msp_thumbsup:

cathyskidding.jpg

My daughter Cathy works with me once in awhile, yesterday skidding logs she managed to lose to choker chains in the mud and then set the skidder on fire when she forgot to take the parking brake all the way off. I got a panicked phone call asking me what to do when she saw the smoke and flames coming out. Park it next to the creek and put out the fire :msp_mad: I will go back when it dries out and find the two chains with the metal detector, Not often she has brain fade but yesterday seemed to be one of those days. I asked her if I could take her picture with the idea it would be a day to remember and one to share with her brother who often argue over who has more experience. We are cutting some large red oak blow downs from last summer and the help is always welcome, I am working most days by myself so even if I have to put up with a few mistakes it is nice to have someone around

Last edited:
Did I see yellow paint on that log? :eek2:

Orange with blue over top. Cooridor tree.

The rest of them, you just take your axe and chop that pesky orange painted bark off the tree.....:msp_tongue:

Edit: The yellow on the butt is a shot of paint the chaser put over the brand

Last edited:
Did the skidder live . ???

If I wasn't so cranky and mean my wife might work with me . . But I am and she don't

Hi tramp, good to hear from you and we know, I atleast like you anyway.
bacon and coffee will be going in a few hours, hopefully tomorrow will turn out to be a real charmer.

Latest posts

Back