Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hammer , hows it goin ? I've spent the winter being a gypo logger who has to fix his own iron .
Yuk . I hate getting grease on my hands or gloves . What a horrible thing for a timber faller to have to do . .

But loading my truk with ny old Terex is all kinds of easier than a pulp hook .

How's the business been going, Tramp?

You got any pictures of your operation from this winter?

Mr. HE:cool:

Yeah, I'm gettin' that itch that says I should start work way early and work late. Daylight hours will be catching up to me shortly. Soon summer will be so hot and miserable I'll be praying for snow again and looking forward to winter.:msp_biggrin:

Well it didn't work . It seems they changed photo bucket . I used to be able to get the img code by going into edit photo . :msp_unsure:

On my photobucket it lists four different link types under the photo and if I right click on one is says "copied" and then I just paste it where I need it. I really hope they haven't changed that.:msp_unsure:

ill add to this thread

Here is some pics from work yesterday of my other job as i work two..im cuttin gas line right of way as my logging boss is slow...the smaller of the two trees is over 4ft and red oak...the biggest is 6foot 6in with the root flare also red oak..all cut with a husky 372xp x-torque and 20" bar. Yea i know i pulled the post out of the big one but we're just cuttin right of way..if i was logging it i would've had my 395 and 2' bar and would have made a better, more accurate smoother and cleaner cut..but this company gets paid by the foot too cut it..so they want footage cut and as fast as you can...kind of like my logging boss and always wanting logs. Btw my logging boss would kill somebody to have these trees. Just figured id share.View attachment 226050View attachment 226051View attachment 226052View attachment 226053

440 . Ya u got em down . You should try a 28" on your 372 . . I have a 20" on my 372 . But thats because its the longest bar that will fit in the cab of my loader behind my feet . It sucks having to wander around a tree to fall it .

Hey , how come you call yourself Stihl 440 when your running sled dogs ??:msp_scared:

Jus kiddin . I might still be running a 044 / 440 mag wrap if the knuckle heads stihl made them . Man they were sweet saws .
Why such a low stump ?

440 . Ya u got em down . You should try a 28" on your 372 . . I have a 20" on my 372 . But thats because its the longest bar that will fit in the cab of my loader behind my feet . It sucks having to wander around a tree to fall it .

Hey , how come you call yourself Stihl 440 when your running sled dogs ??:msp_scared:

Jus kiddin . I might still be running a 044 / 440 mag wrap if the knuckle heads stihl made them . Man they were sweet saws .
Why such a low stump ?

Low stump cause it's flat ground and the skidder drivers there can't drive around a stump :msp_biggrin:

Why such a low stump ?

Naa..i run 20" on every 372 i run..i got a 385 and 395 for the 24" and bigger bars..that or the company can get me one a bigger saw if i need it...(they have a 066 but i wasnt gonna pack that heavy SOB up that 1000ft almost cliff face)...and havent needed it yet. And yea my username might fool you..im actually a husqvarna man...it was just a username that worked at the time..no real reason behind it....just another saw i got...lol I keep the stumps low for the skidders in the woods when im logging and there is board feet in that stump if you think about it..and on right of way jobs its so that the chippers and trackhoes and dozers can drive over them and not get belly hung before the stump grinders get there that and there is less to grind if it is cut low....and some landowners i have logged for want the stumps as low as you can get them..some want anything over 3 feet high cut off. And i just like cutting low as i can it makes everything look better as well.

Ya . What do u run for chain and sprocket . Before the snow gets deep I keep my stumps low for my own logging . Deeper the snow ,higher the stumps . I got another 460 stihl this winter . It only has a half wrap handle bar :msp_sad:.
I'm gonna get cut if I keep foolin around cutting with it . Back baring the face or back cut is a bad idea .

.And limbing it is just plain dangerous . The left thumb ends upnot wrapped around the handle bar . . .

Ya . What do u run for chain and sprocket . Before the snow gets deep I keep my stumps low for my own logging . Deeper the snow ,higher the stumps . I got another 460 stihl this winter . It only has a half wrap handle bar :msp_sad:.
I'm gonna get cut if I keep foolin around cutting with it . Back baring the face or back cut is a bad idea .

.And limbing it is just plain dangerous . The left thumb ends upnot wrapped around the handle bar . . .

Chains i run either Stihl RSK or RSC..and oregon its LGX or LG. Sproket is 7 pin.....i like them better...8 pins are hard on clutches on a work saw...some guys like 8 pins but i dont on my loggin saw...the 395 might get a 8 pin for the 24" bar though...but i like the torque of the 7 pins better. All my personal saws and the ones i work with have to be half wraps...i've worked with them for so long i dont need a full or 3/4 wrap...i dont like them i have run them but they are cumbersome imo. I back bar the undercut on some of my faces and i back bar alot of backcuts..all depends on the situation and the lean or where i want to swing it to the lay. Some days i back bar 90% of my trees some days just a couple...it all depends. And my thumb always stays wrapped around the handlebar..no matter what its safer.

Now to see if I can paste this
IMG_20120211_161800.jpg

Sometimes being bull headed makes life hard .

Gotta figure out how t get a diff pic .

If I can I'll show why they are there . Loggin in the Interior is all about heat in the right places . You want your road to be at least 0 . But the equipment to be 40 above . 40 below is needed for a while so the ground is solid .

Last edited:
082800_114202.jpg
just me standing on a nice little Sitka Spruce . Taken with my cell phone on Chichagof Island . Southeast Alaska .372 Husky 32" Oregon bar Semi skip chisel ground on a Simington451 cluster dressers . Grey stone . Joint set at 35k . 8 tooth rim . . Took about 3 1/2 minutes to lay it out nice and careful . .

Last edited:
Back