Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bunch of gear I can't even really wear until its colder tbthan 20 under . . You know its cold when u drop down into a canyon ir draw and the windshield starts iceing up and the engine + tranny starts acting up. I'm hoping to get my buss
iness goung well enuf so I dont have to

You know it's cold when after taking a leak need to swing a hatchet in front of your hose before you can place it back and get on with the business.

I'll tell you what, you nutty Alaskan's and your working in the cold!

Around here, we roll up @ -10°, and don't think twice about doing it. :laugh:

I've been in -78° (w/ wind chill) skiing once. . . I barely made it down the mountain, and my damn zipper froze to my chin, and I didn't know it. I lifted my head, and it ripped off a chink of flesh with the zipper. :msp_mad:

I know up there, y'all bust out your t-shirts and shorts @ -30° :laugh:

I have seen my wife yelling ( Its Warm) at 46 below dead calm . Walking our dogs at 10pm .
Because it had been 60 below . She is from southern Calif. . 10 below isn't cold .

I have seen my wife yelling ( Its Warm) at 46 below dead calm . Walking our dogs at 10pm .
Because it had been 60 below . She is from southern Calif. . 10 below isn't cold .

I imagine I'd acclimate pretty good to the cold up there -- it generally doesn't bother me too bad.

I was throwing the football with my boys yesterday, and it was around 28° -- but I didn't have a shirt on.

After about 20 minutes, my love handles did get a little tingly though! :laugh:

Right now its around 32 above here . I'm not going to work today . Too much chance of getting stuck on my road coming out with a load on . For me 80 above is harder to eork in than 40 below is . .

The trick is to have the right gear for the cold . The older I get . The more the cold gets to me . Colder than 30 below is hard on the hoses on my loader . Warmer than that is fine . Just takes more work .
But thats why I have such a big market for my wood .

Right now its around 32 above here . I'm not going to work today . Too much chance of getting stuck on my road coming out with a load on . For me 80 above is harder to eork in than 40 below is . .

The trick is to have the right gear for the cold . The older I get . The more the cold gets to me . Colder than 30 below is hard on the hoses on my loader . Warmer than that is fine . Just takes more work .
But thats why I have such a big market for my wood .

I'm the same way. . . I don't do well with heat, but get along fine in the cold.

I'd rather do outside physical work in 20°, instead of 80°. It's harder to cool down in the heat, and easier to stay warm in the cold. I liked logging a hell of a lot better when is was cold or cool too. I hated those 95° days, with talc fine powder dirt up to your ankles. :dizzy:

My boss used to say, "There's heat in the tools." BTW, that same boss spent over 25 years living, guiding, and working in Alaska.

Beins I'm home . And its warm out and I have a cold
I thot Ide see if I coyld transfer some of my old stills to digital with my smarty pants phone . Here goes
IMG_20120227_123501.jpg
. Lets see

Hey it worked . This was a Red Cedar blow down . Saw is a 394 Husky .32" b+ c running Oregon 75CKX chisel ground of course the Dura Pro .chain 8 tooth rim Buffalo fly weight spring heels with the Neolite sole and #2 redwood screw ins . .I limbed it but left it tree length as it was going to be shovel logged . A 2 bushel tree .

IMG_20120227_124918.jpg

Sorry it's sideways . This is a Red Cedar . It was around 9'x11 foot on the stump . Daw is my 3120 Husky .42" Oergon 3 rivet tip .I'm pretty sure I was running 3/8 Dura Pro . I thot it was going to be a snag ( turn to a rag when it hit the ground . But it was sound as a nut . I got in major trouble for the Conventional face .

Tolstoy Bay

Last edited:
Nice to see some new stumps up! Nice pics everyone!

#### weather day today. This may be the beginning of winter break up for me. Time will tell. Anyway....

Gettin creative on these doubles. Some pretty short wood in this part of job. All of these were around head high or so. Boring over your head is fun.
attachment.php

The stump faced to the camera was a humboldt/snipe/super dutch/with a kerf all the way across combo. I had to swing it out of a leave tree and get the hinge to snap quickly so it rolled out. Worked like a champ except I had to grab my starter cord and wait for the tree to come around before I could pull the saw out.
attachment.php

Cutting the far side off and nipping a little to see which way the kerf was going to close. The whole thing moved 5 or 6ft. I guess I picked the right side to stand on. There is major emphasis on leaving the leave trees in this job. Cutting at least one of the red oaks in the background before letting this one loose would have solved some problems.
attachment.php

Wide open for a big ugly.
attachment.php

Pull from the stump makes a different squeal then pull from the butt. When these push through big limbs break and come back over the stump. When it started to go I split. I usually spend extra time brushing out for these big uglies. Any extra tension compiles the pain in the ass. These are always a humbling lesson in tension. I usually get about 6-12 of these per job. Old fence line uglies. I got one nice 8 and one ugly 8 out of this one. The rest was twisted pulp.
attachment.php

View attachment 226722
View attachment 226723
View attachment 226724
View attachment 226725
View attachment 226726

Last edited:
Haywire .I havn't seen a Homlite that vintage in a while .is it a 360 .I can't quite make it out .
Mdavlee .;when I first saw your pic I was trying to figure out why such a tall stump .
Then I turned my phone sideways and saw the fence and realized it was a pasture. Will that stump put up new leaders or will it rot ?

Bitzer ; I thot you ran full wrap handle bars . They make falling those ya need to get artistic with alot easier . You must be loggin with a forwarder . Is someone going t cut up the limbs for firewood ?

Bitzer ; I thot you ran full wrap handle bars . They make falling those ya need to get artistic with alot easier . You must be loggin with a forwarder . Is someone going t cut up the limbs for firewood ?

Tramp- Yeah I do run full wraps, but I never got around to putting one on the 394. You have to special order full wraps around here. The vast majority of people have never even heard of them. I finally got sick of it and ordered one last Thursday. That and the bigger dogs. Hopefully it comes in today. I am running a forwarder and take as much of the pulp out as I can and sell it for firewood. 8' sticks at 10-12 cords per load and all cash. Works out pretty well.

Hey do you have a quick coupler set up on your loader to run warm coolant through the block before you start it? I've got one on my forwarder that I can couple up to my truck.

It looks fine, did you snipe the first cut?

My personal best was 11'9".

No . I was still thinking snag and a riggin cut . I was bushlin . After I limbed it up to where I was going t buck it I realized it was a good tree . . It was really wolfy topped . I only got around 80 lineal feet out of itand around 7 bushel . Southeast red cedar tapers FAST . .

Gettin' me some practice chop blocks, want to help me get 'em up the hill?:D

You be doin some standing block?
Watch yer toes, my Granpap bobbed his big toe off once doin that, of course that was back in the days when wearing toeguards pretty much meant that you were a poofter

That tree will probably rot as the center is hollow already. It was leaning back a good bit. It was the farthest I've tried with back lean. Probably 1 ft off center to the back with dead limbs hanging in it. I did wear my hardhat all day on them fencerow trees. You can see the end of a cedar laying on the cherry on the ground. It broke the top out about 15' up when it went. He plans on putting new posts in and taking the trees out as low as possible later on. I think we cut 15 trees in that fencerow. My shoulders were a little sore the next day. Sure am glad I had something smaller than the 066 for the small cedars around 10".

Bitzer . I wish I'de known you needed a wrap for your 394 . I think I have a new one out in the shed . . No I don't have a quick coupler set up . . I don't know how to hook one up and finding a brush mechanic around here is tough . . I'm alittle parinoid about that set up . Have you had any problems with yours ?

Back