Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jake, yeah been practicing the standing block chop. I've been wearing old coffee cans on my feet, so far I still have all my digits :laugh:

Steel toe boots, Haywire Gulch style :laugh:

are you going to Darby logger days this year?, I am and I think I might do a few events too

It's on the calender! Kalispell team for the Saw/Split /Stack?

I'm in as long as I don't have to stack :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm thinkin we could use my 660 with a 20" bar and maybe an 8 or 9 pin on it for the saw part, maybe have Nate work us up a scary assed chain

Bitzer . I wish I'de known you needed a wrap for your 394 . I think I have a new one out in the shed . . No I don't have a quick coupler set up . . I don't know how to hook one up and finding a brush mechanic around here is tough . . I'm alittle parinoid about that set up . Have you had any problems with yours ?

Well I got a call from the shop and the new handle is on with the bigger dogs. Looks like I'll lose about a half an inch of bar length. They sure don't give those away. Handle and parts to go with it ran about $130.

The quick coupler was on it when I bought the machine. I planned to get my truck set up last fall, but never got around to it and with the unusually mild winter we had there was only a couple of days below zero. Just a tiny snort of ether got me by every morning. Near the water pump there is a three way joint that has the main hose coming from the bottom of the radiator into the pump. One other hose goes to my cab heater which is just a radiator and the last hose is the coupler line. Its the same at the top of the block with the main into the radiator and the other two hoses, one out to the cab heater and the other coupled back to the other side. I'll probably set mine up this spring sometime when I can't log. From what I've heard its the cat's ass for cold starts. Just a minute or two from the hot coolant of the truck to warm the block makes a huge difference. Some guys really swear by it.

Ok . I would have sent u that hb for the shipping . Oh well less $ u need to send to Uncle Sam . . .
Can u post a pic of your forwarder . I'm on lunch . Loader loggin in deep snow is sl:jester:eek:w and hard .

I got stuck for a bit in a blowdown sloggin out to the loader from falling a turn . Snow had drifted and was over waste deep.

I gotta get my skidder here this summer . .

I'll post some pics of snowshoe timber falling .

I'm on 2nd lunch
IMG_20120229_135703.jpg

They don't call me captian chubby for nuthin
IMG_20120229_143129.jpg

I seriously need to learn my splicing better. . . I can do a Hasty Eye no problem, but have forgotten how to do a Molly Hogan, or any of the others.

When I was logging, the boss was always helping, so I never did get it down pat.

Molly Hogan for ya...

fig_2-47.gif

Now I'm off to learn about the Hasty Eye...

Waitafrigginminute... something ain't right... I looked at a couple of different wire eye splices, and the pic of the one I just posted was said to be a Molly Hogan, but another site said it is a Hasty Eye... which one is it?

(sorry for bothering you loggers... just trying to learn some more interesting splices and stuff...)

Last edited:
Ok . I would have sent u that hb for the shipping . Oh well less $ u need to send to Uncle Sam . . .
Can u post a pic of your forwarder . I'm on lunch . Loader loggin in deep snow is sl:jester:eek:w and hard .

I got stuck for a bit in a blowdown sloggin out to the loader from falling a turn . Snow had drifted and was over waste deep.

I gotta get my skidder here this summer . .

I'll post some pics of snowshoe timber falling .

Hey Tramp here it is a coupla of months ago. Thanks a lot for the offer! I'd have taken you up on that, but as it always seems a day late and a dollar short for me.

attachment.php

View attachment 226879

Last edited:
Molly Hogan for ya...

fig_2-47.gif

Now I'm off to learn about the Hasty Eye...

Waitafrigginminute... something ain't right... I looked at a couple of different wire eye splices, and the pic of the one I just posted was said to be a Molly Hogan, but another site said it is a Hasty Eye... which one is it?

(sorry for bothering you loggers... just trying to learn some more interesting splices and stuff...)

Your pics aren't showing up for me. . . But anyway -- the pic below that Tramp posted is what I know as a Molly Hogan (a spliced eye). A Hasty Eye is plenty strong, and is how the rigging shops do them before they press the swage sleeve on the eye. Without the swage sleeve, you need to seize your ends - either with tape or wire.

A Molly Hogan is strong too, because you're splicing the tails back into the cable from the eye, but you have to remember how to do it, and it takes longer to do. . . You also need Marlin spikes (or improvised) handy, especially on the big cable (like skyline).

IMG_20120218_165041-1.jpg

Your pics aren't showing up for me. . . But anyway -- the pic below that Tramp posted is what I know as a Molly Hogan (a spliced eye). A Hasty Eye is plenty strong, and is how the rigging shops do them before they press the swage sleeve on the eye. Without the swage sleeve, you need to seize your ends - either with tape or wire.

A Molly Hogan is strong too, because you're splicing the tails back into the cable from the eye, but you have to remember how to do it, and it takes longer to do. . . You also need Marlin spikes (or improvised) handy, especially on the big cable (like skyline).

IMG_20120218_165041-1.jpg

What would this one be called? Other than Flemished Eye, I mean. According to the site it's posted on, it's also known as a Molly Hogan.

[video]http://www.offshorediver.com/content/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=18&id=365&Itemid=0[/video]

What would this one be called? Other than Flemished Eye, I mean. According to the site it's posted on, it's also known as a Molly Hogan.

[video]http://www.offshorediver.com/content/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=18&id=365&Itemid=0[/video]

Around here we just call them an eye splice but you know how it is with different labels in different places.

And good on ya for learning how to splice. A lot of guys in the woods don't know how. Or like to pretend they don't, anyway. ;)

If you use a vice make sure the jaws don't cause any abrasion to the line when you clamp it down.

Last edited:

That's what I learned as a Hasty Eye. . . Cause, it's fast and stuff, or Hasty even. :D LOL

You can see that rigger has done an eye or two in his time! And did ya see that press in the background there! :dizzy: That's a big mamma jamma!

Around here we just call them an eye splice but you know how it is with different labels in different places.

And good on ya for learning how to splice. A lot of guys in the woods don't know how. Or like to pretend they don't, anyway. ;)

If you use a vice make sure the jaws don't cause any abrasion to the line when you clamp it down.

The prosecution submits this as Exhibit A as evidence. :laugh:

I think it has to do with where you are . That being said if there are any BC tower loggerd that read this , please chime in . !!!!!!!!!!

Slowp is right on the Molly's
As far as West Coast tower loggin is concerned . .
I am not sure but I think what some are calling a ( hasty eye) is what we call a farmers eye . . Those that don't know why can figure out why . What I put in on this chocker is a 3
tuck eye splice . A 2 tuck haywire splice would have worked fine . But if all you do for a few years is 2 tuck . Then you forget where to go back to pick up your 1st tuck for its 2 tuck so it can then get tucked with the 5th .

So then you may have to call one of your

Old hook tenders who is now a lineman and is taking a class down in Texas and ask him . But maybe he can't call it up in the memory bank . What with the grey cells being full of mega watts
And other lineman stuff . So then you may call every other hook tender you know that you can find a phone # for but they cant tell you . Becausr they cant tell you . . They could do it if they were standing there with you but they now work for Public works or are in the 302 or retired ect. If I had had this smarty pants phone I would have got Humptulips on the horn and asked him last spring when I was making up along recovery strap out of 1" . After a couple false starts I remembered . Maybe I'll open a new thread on splicing and wire rope in general . .

I'm suprised Haywire hasn't chimed in . With a handle like Haywire . He's gotta be a tower logger.

Oh hey Metals . . The reason I chopped the beard is I get way tired of my beard and stash freezing together . Hurts when I open my mouth .
If its cold enough to need a beard it cold enough to need a good face mask . I've got about a bushel basket of those . Once they ice upand get full of frozen snot they need thawed an:msp_smile:d laundered

Latest posts

Back